Home

Which CGI Trailer Is the Best?

SciFiGeek17

Which OR Trailer do you like best?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Which OR Trailer do you like best?

• Deceived Trailer
    • Hope Trailer
    • Neither

Which of the 'Old Republic' CGI trailers do you like best and why?

For me, its the Decieved Trailer. I liked that the Sith decided to go to the Jedi, instead of just hidding and waiting to take them out one-by-one. You can tell this generation of Sith are different. Not to mention shows of sometimes the Jedi's patience's isn't always good.

The Hope Trailer just didn't impress me enough. The troopers looked too much like clones and the Sith Empire resemble the Galactic Empire too much.

Deceived, because, although the temple is Prequel style (Yea I know it was old then) everything else was Old Republic, the fights were better the protagonist more like able, and there wasn't a Clone trooper to be seen!!!

Hope is still better than anything GL has done for years but not as good as Deceived...

How was Malgus even remotely likable? He's a rotten punk who attacked the Jedi Temple under the guise of the Treaty of Coruscant peace treaty. And I didn't see any clones in the "Hope" trailer either, since they were all just regular guys in the same uniform(like the armies in real life).

Sorry I meant the Jedi master who died, I meant it as in the classic style of story where in the action consists of a hero fighting a villain, the two are regarded as protagonist and antagonist, respectively :) And when I say clones I mean prequel style done to death white armored soldiers... not necessarily having the same exact DNA, born in a test tube etc :)

Yay

Nay

My main problem is that if your gonna make it look like a 22 BBY setting, why have it take place in 3,500 BBY? the Old republic games, books etc are just like the stories told in the movies and movie era EU, its the freedom, style and separation from the films that makes it cool and different, so thats why I dislike white armored troopers, the "Empire" vs the republic, moffs, etc ect ect.

The SW galaxy has hit a technological plateau, where they can't advance beyond FTL travel and laser guns(I sure can't think of anything more advanced than lasers). That armor look for Republic Troopers is probably intentional, since it's a successful method. Our armies have been wearing the same basic battle fatigues for 50 years, appearance-wise. There might be some different tech under the skin(like kevlar), but on the outside it looks like the same environment-appropriate camouflage cloth. Maybe instead of asking why the armor is the same 3500 years in the past, you should ask what's so great about this armor that it's still being used 3500 years in the future. :)

honestly bud the real world equivalents and theoretical reason for why it is good armor aren't my point, its PURELY stylistic, I dont like TCW and the PT is far from earth shattering... whereas the KotOR series and TOTJ are awesome IMHO, I would just prefer it looked more like KotOR than TCW bud. :) explanations are irrelevant as I know why they look like that... its to draw as many people to play as possible, its called making money :) just airing my unwavering opinion mate :)

I liked Deceived trailer far better than the Hope trailer for the following reasons:

1. The Sith were the won the battle. :D

2. The entrance into the temple was just that cool.

3. I hate the use of the CW era armor. Despise it even. Abhor is the best word I can think of to describe my feelings on

that topic actually.

4. I find the use of the Force to stop a lightsaber a little far-fetched, especially for a Padawan. It was still bad a$$, but

I'm not sure it was necessary.

5. There was no way that Trooper should've survived the grenade explosion. Period. Malgus probably shouldn't have

either, but we'll give him some extra leniency, just because he's a Sith Lord and a Juggernaut with lots of front-line

experience, and the Force.

6. I could go on...but I'll stop here. ;)

How was Malgus even remotely likable? He's a rotten punk who attacked the Jedi Temple under the guise of the Treaty of Coruscant peace treaty.

Umm, Malgus is completely cool. He's my favorite person introduced by name so far for ToR. He was one of the only high ranking Sith who wasn't in the war for personal ambition - Malgus was striving for the furtherance of the Empire as a whole! He treated his lover like his wife (reminds me of a similar love story in Dune), and although he often disagrees with the Council, he still follows the Emperor's orders when called upon. All of this combined makes him my favorite Sith Lord in the KotOR era thus far...

By the by...the treaty of Coruscant was a direct result of the sacking of the Jedi Temple, and although the negotiations were perhaps a mask for the attack, that's not despicable, that's good strategy. Hardly a mark for shame.

I'm thinking of the Alderaan Peace Treaty then. Would you call me a cool guy if I agreed to a truce, then shot you in the head right as we were shaking hands on the truce? That is a very low thing for the Empire to do.

Who said the Jedi Consular in "Hope" was a Padawan? She was using an ability that exists in SW, called Force Absorb. It's hard to do, which is why she only did it out of desperation. Very few Jedi have ever done it. She was likely a Master, or eve a Grand Master if the rumor is true that she's Satele Shan. Yoda absorbed Force Lightning from both Dooku and Palpatine, was that far-fetched?

The grenade that the Trooper used on Malgus wasn't a regular grenade, notice the blue explosion, not a fiery explosion. It was most likely just something like a concussive grenade. You find it believable that a guy in robes could survive the blast, but not a guy decked in heavy armor?

Speaking of armor, it wasn't CW armor, it looked a bit like the GCW armor too. It's called a technological plateau, technology can't advance beyond a certain peak. Plus you use armor that works. Like how we've used the same basic wheel for thousands of years. We may make them out of different materials, but they all look the same. You don't fix what ain't broken, including armor.

3. I hate the use of the CW era armor. Despise it even. Abhor is the best word I can think of to describe my feelings on

that topic actually.

Right, but the stormtrooper armor is okay. :rolleyes:

4. I find the use of the Force to stop a lightsaber a little far-fetched, especially for a Padawan. It was still bad a$$, but

I'm not sure it was necessary.

Padawan? How do you know that?

Right, but the stormtrooper armor is okay. :rolleyes:

Where does he say that?

Padawan? How do you know that?

How do you know she's Not?

It's ok Rolling your eyes, and asking for detailed reasons for our opinions, But what is your opinion? why is TCW good? why is it ok to have samey white armor in this era? where does it say this girl is a Knight or master? I'm not saying either of us have good answers, but I'd rather not be dressed down every time i give an Opinion

Where does he say that?

He doesn't. How can someone be so angry about an armor?

How do you know she's Not?

What? He is the one with the burden of proof, not me.

It's ok Rolling your eyes, and asking for detailed reasons for our opinions, But what is your opinion? why is TCW good?

How is TCW related to the trailer?

why is it ok to have samey white armor in this era?

Never said it was okay. I just said many people get mad for clone armor being in the trailer, and how tired they are of clones, that sometimes forget the stortroopers have the "same" armor.

where does it say this girl is a Knight or master?

You'll have to ask him. He was the one who said she was a padawan.

I'm not saying either of us have good answers, but I'd rather not be dressed down every time i give an Opinion

First, I didn't quoted you, so you can't complain I did that every time you gave an opinion. Second, where did I dressed him down every time he gave his opinion?

The armor is okay because the SW galaxy has been in a technological plateau for many millenia. The white armor look may just be the Republic standard going back to its formation. Why is the stormtrooper armor white? Just because the clone armor is also white? Couldn't we also call that uncreative too?

Couldn't we also call that uncreative too?

I'd agree with that for sure :)

@Alexrd, I guess we've argued on more than one occasion, and I just see everything you say as aggressive, so I felt the need to be aggressive to you, we have very different opinions on everything, I suppose the best thing to do would be for me to avoid your posts, it would be a lot less E-stressful :)

Why is the stormtrooper armor white? Just because the clone armor is also white?

It's the other way around.

@Alexrd, I guess we've argued on more than one occasion, and I just see everything you say as aggressive, so I felt the need to be aggressive to you, we have very different opinions on everything, I suppose the best thing to do would be for me to avoid your posts, it would be a lot less E-stressful :)

Sorry if I sound agressive, it's not my purpose. ;)

I'm just tired of reading (on other forums too) some people blaming something just because it belongs to the PT, usually forgetting that same thing came from the OT in the first place.

Don't get me wrong I LOVE the PT and the OT, I'm an uber SW geek Brah, its Just I like the Old republic era because it is different, and I think it shows lack of creativity to use such blatent copies of PT era equipment and locales :)

I actually do not like the Clone Wars but thats another matter hehe ;)

I'm thinking of the Alderaan Peace Treaty then. Would you call me a cool guy if I agreed to a truce, then shot you in the head right as we were shaking hands on the truce? That is a very low thing for the Empire to do.

We're Sith. Low is what we do. Besides, its still good strategy. Go read Sun Tzu's Art of War. :)

Who said the Jedi Consular in "Hope" was a Padawan?

She has the customary padawan braids. If it is Satele Shan, then she is most definitely a padawan, as the Hope trailer is earlier in the timeline than the comic in which she is also a padawan.

She was using an ability that exists in SW, called Force Absorb...

Force Absorb works on attacks that originate from the Force, not energy beams. At least that is my understanding on the power. If I'm wrong and you have a canon source to show me I'm wrong, I'll gladly admit my faults. ;)

The grenade that the Trooper used on Malgus wasn't a regular grenade, notice the blue explosion...

Blaster-fire in SW comes in all variety of colors, why not explosive grenades? Besides, how would a concussive grenade tear his face up like that? I think that if that sort of damage was caused by the grenade, it should have sent at least some shrapnel into his brain, considering the proximity.

...You find it believable that a guy in robes could survive the blast, but not a guy decked in heavy armor?

Malgus was heavily armored, too, and has the advantage of the Force, surviving a blast like that is something I would expect from a Sith Juggernaut. All it would take is a enough concentration (or instinct) to use the force to deflect any shrapnel away from his exposed face. The knockback is completely survivable in any case.

Speaking of armor, it wasn't CW armor, it looked a bit like the GCW armor too.

The CW and GCW are close enough to each other in the timeline that it makes sense for little change to exist between the two. Check out KotOR sometime, tell me how many clones/stormtroopers you see.

It's called a technological plateau, technology can't advance beyond a certain peak.

Umm, no. The SW universe did not hit a tech plateau at that point in time. Heck, they advanced technology between episodes three and four. Went from the ARC-170 to the X-wing. That was a far smaller time gap than between TOR and the CW.

You don't fix what ain't broken, including armor.

Which is why Bioware should have left the republic armor from KotOR and TSL alone. :D

Force Absorb was used by Vader in ESB. It's how he absorbed Han's blaster shots. Those aren't Padawan braids, that's just part of the Consular's hair style. She has one on each side of her head, and Jedi didn't have padawan braids in this era. Explosions are fiery red, that's how they work in SW. Blasters use different gasses for the cartridges, thus different colors. Others are saying the grenade was a Cryoban grenade, which also explains the blue color. We know Troopers can tank in TOR, so that Trooper surviving with ease is no big deal. Plus the Trooper got some big scratches to his face and armor. Malgus was mostly already scarred from the Trooper using a flak cannon or something in the first wave of the assault. The grenade didn't do much more damage to him. You know why we didn't see any Storm/Clone Troopers in KotOR? Because we never saw any of the Republic's ground force armies. All we saw were Sith Troopers, so that's why. :) The X-Wing was not that dramatically better than the ARC-170. It was just a matter of preference for the new hotness over the old stuff. The Y-Wing is 25 years old, but it's still one of the best damn bombers you can find. And what Republic Armor in KotOR and TSL? All you saw were Sith Troopers, not the Republic's main army like we're seeing in TOR.

Sigh. You my friend are the devil's own advocate.

Vader used Force Deflect in ESB.

Bastila had padawan braids, too. There is no reason to assume they didn't exist at this point in time.

Not all explosions are red. For instance, the charges used by Jango Fett while being pursued by Obi-wan. Fire can be blue, energy can be blue, if you can stick a different energy pack in your gun, why can't you use a different chemical in a grenade? Cryoban doesn't work, there was no freezing effect anywhere to be seen. Watch the trailer again, check out the change in Malgus' armor after the grenade scene. It's practically melted.

You did see ground forces in Kotor and TSL. They were all throughout the first game, and they did a good bit of fighting in the battle for Telos at the end of TSL.

The X-wing was better in every way than the ARC-170, including manpower to firepower ratios.

Please, if you wish to attempt to defeat my arguments, research your reasons more thoroughly.

It was Force Absorb! It's a widely believed fact! :p Han's shots didn't go flying around the room, they stopped at Vader's hands.

The Consular in the trailer has 2 braids, so they're more for style than rank. How many padawans in the prequels had 2 braids? It's just one for a Padawan.

The explosion in the Geonosis space battle was a Sonic Missile. It didn't cause a 3-dimensional blast either, because it wasn't a typical missile. Trooper's grenade wasn't intended to kill, it wsa to stun, that's why it barely hurt either of them(aside from the Trooper's massive facial lacerations).

There were no Republic Troops in KotOR, none in an armor anyways. All I saw were the cloth-geared deck officers and such.

How was the X-Wing better? It may've had better reactors and such, but it wasn't some drastically superior beast. Plus like my Y-Wing example said, 25 years doesn't mean stuff still isn't good.

I do my research, a tecnological plateau is the best explanation for the technology looking the same over the many millenia. To those who object to the technological plateau, I ask how they would advance beyond laser weaponry and FTL travel. :)

The Consular in the trailer has 2 braids, so they're more for style than rank. How many padawans in the prequels had 2 braids? It's just one for a Padawan.

I agree that it's more for style than rank. And just to clarify, she has 3 braids and is not Satele Shan.

Archived