Home

TOR Demos

JediAthos

Troopers can tank? Called it!

Edit: And it doth be shipping in Spring 2011, huzzah! o_Q

Damn. 1-0 for the Baron. I seriously thought they'd be going overboard with Jedi and Sith classes....to make them all-powerfull.

I hope the Trooper class will get played much...it's not very appealing to me, being a Die-Hard warrior/barbarian class guy since the first Baldurs Gate games, but I hope they will be essential for parties...

But still, to me it's still looking like the Jedi and Sith will be the 'WoW Paladins from Tor.' Everyone plays one, pwns with one, and all the other classes suck in comparison.

Nothing I have seen proves me otherwise, set for the smuggler, who can hide, stealth and trick it's way to defeat Sith and Jedi...

Damn. 1-0 for the Baron. I seriously thought they'd be going overboard with Jedi and Sith classes....to make them all-powerfull.

I hope the Trooper class will get played much...it's not very appealing to me, being a Die-Hard warrior/barbarian class guy since the first Baldurs Gate games, but I hope they will be essential for parties...

But still, to me it's still looking like the Jedi and Sith will be the 'WoW Paladins from Tor.' Everyone plays one, pwns with one, and all the other classes suck in comparison.

Nothing I have seen proves me otherwise, set for the smuggler, who can hide, stealth and trick it's way to defeat Sith and Jedi...

Don't worry - if everything's balanced at launch, non-FS classes will get nerfed to appease the Jedi and Sith 1337 wannabes

Don't worry - if everything's balanced at launch, non-FS classes will get nerfed to appease the Jedi and Sith 1337 wannabes

:( I fear so too.

I know it's kind of hypocrit, but I'd love to play a Jedi or Sith. But out of story, roleplaying and play-style motivations. But the smuggler and bounty hunter are appealing too, as a TESB-fan.

I just fear most of the younger people will role a Jedi/Sith because Lucas has been throwing Jedi and Sith awesomeness at us for the last 10 years.

Imagine this:

There's a tank in your party. But he uses 2 sabers. Aggro spreads to all others. He will survive though, he can dodge blaster bolts, can heal himself, etc. And he'll scold all others for being noobs, while he/she is the one who failed..

This means that no other Jedi or Sith will be taken seriously. At one point in WoW, I couldn't even get into player groups, and at one point they even group rolled on a DK-exclusive item because 'I'm a useless DK anyway' (while I was in the top 5-DPS). That hurts. Others ruined the game for me.

But Jedi and Sith are even more popular than Death Knights. I fear...I fear...

I feel your pain and I hope it doesn't go as you describe even though I see there's a chance it could. I for one plan on not playing a Jedi/Sith until after I've tried some of the other classes for the very reason that I think there will be a metric a** ton of them running around. I'm particularly interested in the imperial agent and the bounty hunter classes.

Yeah, I'm curious if these could come anywhere near the experiences of dark forces 1 or that of shadows of the empire. I'd love to just spear some jedi or sith Bill Goldberg status as a non FS class.

I SO hope this is the case!

I heard that as a Bounty Hunter and any other non-Force Sensitive, you'll be the 'best of the best' where the Jedi/Sith are padawans..

It would be so cool....Jedi storming for you...paralyze dart...flame thrower on his/her robe...then go in with mandalorian-armor (that resists sabers) and push a knife through 'Malakismyhomeboy1995's' throat....hmmmmmm

Troopers can tank? Called it!

I saw that and rejoiced as well. Definitely my favorite piece of the reveals for E3 was finding out troopers are gonna be the battleships they should be.

It's gonna be great.

:tank1:

BTW, anyone notice the Chiss playable race reveal? I have no idea how they are gonna work that in lore wise, but I've always had a soft place in my heart for Thrawn.

It's strange the alien species are restricted to one class. Why can't a Twi'lek be a Jedi or Sith, only a Smuggler and why is the Chiss restricted to the Imperial Agent class?

Yeah that doesn't really make sense...Maybe they will change their minds.

I thought they only said Chiss is Imperial-only, but Twi'lek and Rattataki are open to both factions. I didn't hear anything on Chiss specifically being Agent-only. I like class-restricted races. It allows more creativity in those species specifically being parts of those classes. Like the Paladins in WoW, with Blood Elves being Blood Knights, Tauren being Sun Warriors, Humans and Dwarves being Knights of the Silver Hand, and Draenei being the Hand of Argus. It's nothing that affects the gameplay of the classes, but it helps spice up their backstory.

It's strange the alien species are restricted to one class. Why can't a Twi'lek be a Jedi or Sith, only a Smuggler and why is the Chiss restricted to the Imperial Agent class?

Sadly...probably to enfore the link with Thrawn. Same goes for all the human Jedi.

I completely agree that it should be possible though, Female Twilek Jedi/Sith are teh sexy...:indif:

I believe that each class will have a selection of aliens for the player to choose and i believe some of the alien species will be for more than one class since making smuggler as the only class to have the Twilek would add production time when they can save time if they have Twilek race for smuggler and 2 or 3 other classes.

I thought they only said Chiss is Imperial-only, but Twi'lek and Rattataki are open to both factions.
From the E3 Developer Blog from the official SWTOR website: "The Rattataki was the first non-human species we announced in The Old Republic and we showed them being played as butt-kicking Bounty Hunters. Today we are revealing that as a stealthy Imperial Agent you can choose to be a Chiss and as a charming Smuggler you can choose to be a Twi’lek."

Ah, yes, Dahlberg replied on the community boards:

SIDE NOTE: While we aren't talking about it yet (and I know many of you dislike this but there are various and valid reasons why we do this), we are not saying that you can ONLY be a Twi'lek as a Smuggler. What we are saying is that we are CONFIRMING that as a Smuggler, you can choose Twi'lek as a species. Will there be limitations? Yes, there will be. What are they? We aren't talking about that yet because we haven't come to a final conclusion on some things yet. When we do, you will definitely know but in the meanwhile we are only confirming what we know will not change between now and launch. Back to the point...

That doesn't exclude faction-specific races either. Humans will be for both factions, Twi'lek and Rattataki too, but Chiss are Imp-only. I guess the precedent is how 90% of Chiss in the EU have been on the side of Empire or Empire-affiliated groups, with maybe 10% exceptions for Republic and Rebels and such.

That doesn't exclude faction-specific races either. Humans will be for both factions, Twi'lek and Rattataki too, but Chiss are Imp-only. I guess the precedent is how 90% of Chiss in the EU have been on the side of Empire or Empire-affiliated groups, with maybe 10% exceptions for Republic and Rebels and such.

Maybe it's just space astrography. Csilla or some of it's territories are within the Empire's influence radius/domain and thus the Chiss have become allied with them. It's that simple really. There's also nothing keeping the devs from doing the same on the Republic side.

My only real beef would be if they decided to restrict a race to ONE SINGLE class. Not allowing Chiss to particular classes, like Dark Jedi or something else, is fine, but just one seems out of our world.

Maybe it's just space astrography. Csilla or some of it's territories are within the Empire's influence radius/domain and thus the Chiss have become allied with them. It's that simple really. There's also nothing keeping the devs from doing the same on the Republic side.

My only real beef would be if they decided to restrict a race to ONE SINGLE class. Not allowing Chiss to particular classes, like Dark Jedi or something else, is fine, but just one seems out of our world.

I agree- i see why Chiss are only going to be on the Empire's Side. After all the planet would in the unknown regions at this time period so only the Sith Empire would come across their species while the Republic in the most part would not know about them.

I also hope that Chiss will be open to all Sith Empire classes. The only Republic class I can see having Chiss is the Smuggler since they travel all over and is possible.

Maybe they'd limit Chiss to one class to limit their overexposure in this era. If all Imperial classes could be Chiss, you'd have a lot more Chiss than if they're limited to just one class. Limiting them to Agent will keep their numbers relatively uncommon.

Maybe they'd limit Chiss to one class to limit their overexposure in this era. If all Imperial classes could be Chiss, you'd have a lot more Chiss than if they're limited to just one class. Limiting them to Agent will keep their numbers relatively uncommon.
And it possibly attracts more people to the Imperial Agent class for those Chiss fans.

Archived