Home

TSL'S Story Being "Cancelled"?

Tysyacha

Originally Posted by TriggerGod

Remember how Bioware was making this MMO set in the KOTOR era? Yeah, they're still making it. And retconning Obsidian's work on TSL.

Someone remind me what's being "retconned" again?

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

see? see? I'm not crazy after all...:p

Sheesh, stop being so naive. It was written by Obsidian, which means that it was a complex and too experimental a story for Star Wars. It did not involve your standard BioWare archetype characters, had no party-that-goes-happy-and-then-lucky adventure, and did not involve any "epic" events or music.

In BioWarean philosophy, it's a sucky story and so BioWare is going to do what it does best: tell the Dragon Age/Mass Effect story again, in a space opera envirionment.

Too bad... I liked the TSL story, even if it wasn't the clearer story, and that TSL is half completed, but the story was original, I liked Kreia, and the fact of question the jedi's wisdom, I always think that the jedi philosophy has a lot of wrong points, so the Kreias philosophy of exploring both ways, etc, and how she kill them, and what she say then, I have always liked kreia, even if she's so annoying every time with her "no! don't do that!", "why have you done that", but as long as she don't start questionning my actions I like her x)

Why is LucasArts trying to erase the story of THE SITH LORDS and pretend that its events never happened (you know, with Kreia, the Exile, and so on)?

Bioware on TSL:

Hey Folks, always nice to see the healthy debate sparked by the Timeline pieces. I love Star Wars history and particularly anything relating to KotOR. Even though KotOR 2 was developed by another developer, lots of folks at BioWare played and enjoyed it, including myself. If you look closely within the game, you will find several references to events or characters from KotOR 2, and we absolutely treat it as canon. I will also say that there have been discussions about the final fate of the Exile, who was indeed a woman according to the canon.

When outlining the Timeline series, though, we skipped over the events of KotOR2 for a few reasons:

(SPOILER ALERT if you haven't played KotOR 2)

Essentially, what happened in KotOR 2 is that a few years after Revan disappeared, a new trinity of Sith Lords materialized and drove the Jedi into hiding. Kreia (aka Darth Traya) sought out the Jedi Exile, and sought to use her as a mechanism for destroying the Force itself. The Exile defeated the Sith Lords, foiled Kreia's plan, and disappeared into deep space searching for Revan. The galaxy was essentially returned to the same state as it was in before the events of KotOR 2.

A few things about this: first, it all happened behind the scenes; the Jedi of the TOR era don't even know what really happened, in fact the only people who ever knew were the Exile and her companions. Second, because the events of KotOR 2 didn't really change the political landscape of the galaxy in any significant way, it's really more of an historical footnote to the Jedi Civil War rather than a major event in its own right.

This is absolutely not to say the story of KotOR 2 wasn't important. Taken in the context of the Timeline series, however, we decided it would be confusing and that the next note in the history of the galaxy should be the Jedi Civil War.

Thanks for all the feedback and interest in the game and in the Timeline videos. You guys remind us of why we're doing all this, so keep it up.

Cheers

I found this here.

:lol: No, BioWare was just too busy with Jade Empire at the time, hell BioWare even got Obsidian the job.

This^^ Bioware Suggested Obsidian to LA :)

Also, as Rob Chestney say's, TSL was a story that happened in the Shadows, and once ended, the Galaxy was none the wiser anyway.

*snip*

This does make a lot of sense.

The other big dispute I've noticed is over Revan's motivations, which were a central plot element of TSL. The latest timeline does not actually conflict with TSL's canon regarding Revan's discovery of the True Sith and his decision to utilize the Dark Side to fight them. Thus, one could say that true to TSL Revan pretended to become the Sith Emperor's puppet. The timeline doesn't actually say it, but allows such an interpretation.

I say that was some decent writing on Bioware's part.

And on that note, I'd say that Bioware's problem is not poor character development anymore. I've been playing Dragon Age recently and I'd say that the Party Members in that have the most depth I've seen in a Bioware work. The problem is that they overuse the same format for their characters and story. Hell, Mass Effect is an outright rip off of KOTOR in terms of plot, which is why I have no interest in really playing it. Dragon Age was also initially disappointing in that they promised more variety of plot outcomes for each different class when in reality it's the same ending when the chips are down. If Bioware can find a new format for their stories, I'd say they'd be in better shape.

Bioware on TSL:

I found this here.

Well I guess the lesson here ladies and gentlemen is: Always get it straight from the horse's mouth, no matter what you hear otherwise. I was starting think they were ignoring TSL too. :lol:

Great find Endorenna! ;)

The other big dispute I've noticed is over Revan's motivations, which were a central plot element of TSL. The latest timeline does not actually conflict with TSL's canon regarding Revan's discovery of the True Sith and his decision to utilize the Dark Side to fight them.

Agreed. It also goes along the same lines as Endorenna find. If I remember correctly most of the conversations about Revan’s motivation were between the Exile and Kreia. Well with Kreia dead and the Exile headed for the Unknown region, who exactly was left to share Kreia’s theories with the rest of the galaxy?

Agreed. It also goes along the same lines as Endorenna find. If I remember correctly most of the conversations about Revan’s motivation were between the Exile and Kreia. Well with Kreia dead and the Exile headed for the Unknown region, who exactly was left to share Kreia’s theories with the rest of the galaxy?

not to mention that kreia's theories are just that, theories (and trying to save face for her star pupil turning to the dark side)

i never took it as the undisputed truth.

Archived