Home

LucasArts's next game...

Which Special Edition would you like to see LucasArts make next?  

118 members have voted

1. 1. Which Special Edition would you like to see LucasArts make next?

• Maniac Mansion
    • Zak McKraken
    • Loom
    • Indiana Jones 3
    • Fate of Atlantis
    • Day of the Tentacle
    • Sam & Max: Hit the Road
    • Full Throttle
    • Curse of Monkey Island
    • Grim Fandango
    • Escape from Monkey Island
    • A brand new title
    • The Dig

I would love to see a FOA special edition, partially because it was my first Lucasarts adventure, but also because I would like to see how the SE team would handle a more realistic style. That, and the music is my second favorite from a Lucasarts game; right behind Monkey Island.

My preference would be a brand new title but my gut tells me they'll do a special edition of another older license, like Maniac Mansion. Not that that would be unwelcome either.

And aside from whatever the "Special Editions and Lucidity" team do next (aren't they supposed to be making Handsome Halibut?), I'd like LEC's next game to be a new Indiana Jones.

I've been saying it for years, and I still think there's potential for an Indiana Jones game to move more into RPG territory - controlling a party with Indy and a sidekick or two, making it more adventurey with a good storyline, like KOTOR, with dialogue puzzles (and other puzzles), disguises, weapons, exploration and side-quests etc and a more measured pace than the slug / shootfests of the last Indy titles.

Why 2D, Gos? Because of control reasons or art style?

Both, actually. If they wrangled Chan to work the backgrounds and threw in some extra puzzles ala the Design Doc, Lucasarts could have a hit on their hands. The latest builds of Scumm are definitely up to it.

Or whatever Handsome Halibut is...

I've been saying it for years, and I still think there's potential for an Indiana Jones game to move more into RPG territory - controlling a party with Indy and a sidekick or two, making it more adventurey with a good storyline, like KOTOR, with dialogue puzzles (and other puzzles), disguises, weapons, exploration and side-quests etc and a more measured pace than the slug / shootfests of the last Indy titles.

I totally agree!

Where's The Dig?

What? Hey, look over there!

(Doh.)

In my opinion, Special Editions aren't necessary for any game released between 1995 and today.

I don't agree with this on the 3D games, just because the rudimentary polygons and low res textures in both Grim Fandango and Escape From Monkey Island are still on the primitive side of 3D games from the 90s. Grim Fandango got by with strong art direction, but just seeing someone maybe rerender all the backgrounds in HD (and maybe sprucing up the background models a bit, although they still look great to me) as well as just smoothing out all of the real time 3D characters would be awesome to me. Escape would do well with something similar.

I realize going back and fixing a 3D game is way more work than just drawing over an existing 2D game, but it's not impossible, considering both of the LUA games have great voice acting and music already. I would imagine technical problems with changing models that already have set animation and rigs would be the most obnoxious hurdle. Plus rerendering all the cutscenes could be a possible nightmare.

I agree with Udvarnoky on remakes of the two earlier adventures Maniac Mansion and Zak McKracken. The only thing I fear is while those games would do great with almost any sort of graphical overhaul, I don't know if anyone today not already familiar with that style of adventure design would be keen on playing those. That said, Maniac Mansion has the better design with more open ends, less difficult puzzles (and mazes!), as well as less ways to get stuck.

• 2 weeks later...

Great thread. I voted for 'The Dig' because id love to see that reach its full potential. However, I have a feeling that the next SE treatment will be going to Maniac Mansion. Not that i mind though. The reason for my thinking is that i noticed yesterday, Whilst i was playing the new Monkey Island 2 SE. That they have changed the 'Max' costume in the costume shop on Booty island to a costume of a purple tentacle. Could this be a sneaky clue to the next SE project? Maybe ;)

Check for yourself. If you have the game. Go into the costume shop, At the back hit the f1 key to swap between modes

Archived