Home

LucasArts's next game...

Which Special Edition would you like to see LucasArts make next?  

118 members have voted

1. 1. Which Special Edition would you like to see LucasArts make next?

• Maniac Mansion
    • Zak McKraken
    • Loom
    • Indiana Jones 3
    • Fate of Atlantis
    • Day of the Tentacle
    • Sam & Max: Hit the Road
    • Full Throttle
    • Curse of Monkey Island
    • Grim Fandango
    • Escape from Monkey Island
    • A brand new title
    • The Dig

I would've loved to see Fate of Atlantis made into a movie, rather than Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. I guess Harrison is a bit old to make FoA his last project now. FoA is a true masterpiece, and I wonder if they still have the original voice recordings for it. An SE without having to record all the voices will be quite simple, if the original voice acting holds up ok. The MI2:SE has (almost) restored my faith in these special editions, and Indy 4 would be my next logical choice. I don't think they'll go back to anything before MI1 for an SE although Indy3 would be welcome. FoA, then DOTT please :) Sam & Max would take a lot of work, and there could be rights issues, but I'm sure we'll see Full Throttle SE at some point too. The voice acting is sound already, and it's a pretty short game, so development would take less work than the MI2:SE.

The Dig should be fairly easy too, if there's a market for it. Anything up to CMI is a candidate and I hope they all get this treatment, but not before patching MI1:SE and MI2:SE please LucasArts.

FoA or Day of the Tentacle. playing FoA is how I learned to read, and is basically the reason that i'm studying archaeology. Plus the fan-based efforts that have been going on for about a decade now (Amberfish Arts and the Fountain of Youth) have really blue-balled me. I am dying for more Indy. (point 'n' click Indy.)

I still have never finished DoTT. For some reason I could never find it when I was younger, except for checking it out from the local library. its really sort of expensive to buy the old version these days, so a re-release or SE would solve that for me.

its really sort of expensive to buy the old version these days, so a re-release or SE would solve that for me.

Wow I never realised. DOTT costs now what it did when it was new! I quite like that because I have, for some reason, 5 copies of it.

My dad should've invested all his money into boxed copies of SCUMM games in the early 90s rather than buying property.

I don't know why Grim Fandango's graphics keep getting cited as a reason for a remake. I kinda think the fact that the character designs are so stylized makes it work. It's kinda like saying "I'd only buy a 1957 Ford Thunderbird if they made it look more like a 2005 Thunderbird."

Escape From Monkey Island on the other hand really would need some major graphical upgrades, and there's the whole Monkey Kombat fiasco. I'd love to see a remake of EMI with improved graphics and sound (especially the voices, and with Alexandra Boyd re-dubbing all of Elaine's lines), and a much more intuitive, easier to figure out version of Monkey Kombat.

And of the games that aren't on the list, I'd like to see all of the games from the Dark Forces series (I refuse to call it the Jedi Knight series) remade in the Force Unleashed engine.

• 3 weeks later...

I think I agree mostly with the middle paragraph of daltysmilth's post. I think I'd like to see an 'Escape from Monkey Island' special edition the most out of all of those titles. I feel that it needs an update more than the others. The graphics look the worst out of all of them; the scenery looks fine, but the character models are terribly blocky and expressionless. And, of course, if there were an update, Monkey Kombat should probably be done differently - not scrapped, but just changed to be a little bit less of a drag. As for the whole Alexandra Boyd re-dubbing, that doesn't need to happen, I quite liked Charity James's take on the character.

I don't know why Grim Fandango's graphics keep getting cited as a reason for a remake. I kinda think the fact that the character designs are so stylized makes it work. It's kinda like saying "I'd only buy a 1957 Ford Thunderbird if they made it look more like a 2005 Thunderbird."

I don't think we were asking for a redesign though, so the Thunderbird analogy is not the same.

It would just be nice to keep everything the same in Grim Fandango, plus smooth out all of the models and make the textures higher-res. The beauty of 3D graphics is that granted the bones and all the animations were kept the same, it's basically just redoing the models. The resolution is arbitrary and can be set at anything. The backgrounds should all be able to be rerendered at a higher res.It doesn't take a ton of redrawing like a 2D remake. Anything further would be icing on the cake.

Also I sort of feel like Grim Fandango needs a second wave of love, as most LucasArts fans have concentrated more than enough on Monkey Island than any other game. A redesign would suck though, definitely.

If LucasArts were to do a remake of one of their two 3D adventures, it would be a more intuitive choice since Grim is a better game in all instances. That is, unless they want to continue milking the Monkey Island brand.

Archived