Home

Sam and Max Hit the Road: Special Edition?

Bad Asp!

Sorry, I just had to jump on the "Special Edition" thread bandwagon!:D

I'd like to see them use a graphics style similar to that one Flash cartoon "Our Bewildering Universe"... I think Flash is how they make 2D games nowadays!

What to add? Hint system... audio commentary... maybe a new area to explore? And maybe more minigames (particularly if they're as addictive as Carbomb)!

Oh, and KEEP THE ORIGINAL VOICES!

I agree with it looking like Our Bewildering Universe, but I don't agree that Flash is evil.

You don't even have to use Flash anyway, but you can hand draw directly into flash with a wacom table. Even if you hate that, Flash is very handy for putting together pencil tests that you scanned in. It's just a tool, albiet one that many use to make absolute **** today, but it's nothing more.

That short is still awesome though, check this out:

Flash is the most anti-animator application out there. Every update it gets focuses on web and app development instead of animation. It's impossible to have a multi-plane camera without simulating it, and that looks like garbage. Flash's main focus is tweening. Hand drawn can be done, but it gives the animator a hard time. That's why most animators are switching over to ToonBoom.

It's definitely not the most anti animator application, but it's widely used for many different purposes. It wasn't originally created to be an exclusive animation tool, but they have expanded. Of course ToonBoom is better because it's focus is almost exclusively on animation, but the major switchover still hasn't happened yet. People don't generally use ToonBoom to make games or assets for games (or not yet).

I also don't see how Flash's main focus is tweening. People use it for that and abuse for that, but it's just as viable as saying it's main focus is onion skinning so flash is good for traditional animation. You can also tween inn tons of other animation programs just as well, including Toon Boom. It's inherent in animation software now, so I don't know what you are so upset about. I use Flash for both methods and can easily mix both. I can also animate on a pegboard with paper over a light box. It doesn't make a difference. An application isn't evil or makes people create bad animation. I'm not some Adobe advocate for overpriced monopoly type software, but blame the ****ty animators who use flash to do ugly and cheap animation instead of the application, which is just a tool. It's like blaming bad writing on people who use MSWord.

Besides, all Bad Asp said in the original post is that he likes the style of the old Sam and Max flash short that Steve Purcell and a small crew did. He didn't say it had to be Flash at all. Did you even watch the short?

Besides, assuming LucasArts Singapore would be doing this and hypothetically considering they would ape the style of "Our Bewildering Universe," they most likely wouldn't be doing anything directly in Flash, since almost everything done for the Special Editions so far appears to have been done in Photoshop. Almost any vector graphic type program could be used to achieve that look anyway, assuming they know how to ape Steve Purcell's style.

I think if anyone should do a Hit The Road Special Edition, it should be Telltale. They have the Sam & Max license, all they'd have to do is acquire the license to the original game. And then, if the Hit The Road special edition did well enough, maybe Lucasarts would let them finish Freelance Police. Of course this is all speculation. But it's fun to speculate.

They have a really talented 2-D cartoonist/colorist/concept artist in Ryan Jones. His style isn't quite the same (or quite as great) as Steve Purcell, but I'd trust him more to do the visuals justice than the hacks at LucasArts (or LucasArts Singapore).

But, really, the visuals of the game still hold up quite well, even in low-res. I think it might be because the animation is so well done, it really solidifies the characters even though they are fairly pixellated.

Archived