Home

DeathSpank

Ghost Down

• 3 weeks later...

Playing it right now on the 360, and I am loving it. I mean, really, this is old-school gaming mixed with amazing art direction, music, humor, and fun. Huge thumbs up. Anybody else had any time to play it?

I've been playing it at a friend's house (will buy it as soon as my next paycheck arrives). It's pretty fun! I love a warm, welcoming, happy atmosphere. There's some niggles here and there, but they're negligible.

bit of a talk spoiler so be warned if you don't want to know;

Just heard a reference to MI on DeathSpank, anyone whos played it will have met an old guy called Eubrick (has an axe in his back).

DeathSpank asks him later in the game if he has anymore exhilarating stories to tell. Eubrick starts talking about things hes done and what he knows throughout the years and one of them he mentions is that he knows what the secret of Monkey Island is.

Deathspank replies and tells him he doesn't really want to know what it is.

• 2 weeks later...
Why is that?

That's a good question, actually. I guess it would be that I've just become so accustomed to using a keyboard & mouse that I wouldn't exactly want to use any other method of control. But then again, if I did own a console, I'd probably have grown accustomed to ITS controller, so perhaps if I did own a console, I probably wouldn't care either way and I'd probably end up buying it for XBOX or Playstation like everyone else. Well done, you've made me realize that my last statement was wrong.

But wouldn't a mouse and keyboard be more effective for a game like this, as it's most probably a click-fest like Diablo and Torchlight?

But wouldn't a mouse and keyboard be more effective for a game like this, as it's most probably a click-fest like Diablo and Torchlight?
I don't think any other control type than a gamepad makes sense with this game (I have the PS3 version), because you have eight (freely customizable) attack buttons, which consist of the four face buttons (in Playstation terms that's X, Triangle, Square and Circle... best equipped with four weapons) and the D-Pad (the navigational cross, usually equipped with items like potions and magic spells).

The game has a combo system, so lining up attacks with the four different weapons (as opposed to just hitting the enemies with the same weapon all the time) fills the combo-meter. Doing this with the buttons of a mouse would probably be quite unintuitive. The analog sticks are used for moving Deathspank and moving the camera. Furthermore one of the four shoulder buttons is used to target an enemy, while one of the analogue sticks cycles through the targets in this mode. It's definitely too much stuff to handle with mouse and keyboard (at least to me it would be).

Well, that's where the keyboard comes in, with the number pad. Like the Torchlight interface, the different attacks/spells can be assigned to a specific number; it makes for a pretty convenient, easy-to-use control system. I'm sure Deathspank would have a similar system if it were to be released on the PC.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived