Home

Ranged Reskin

bryzz

i have seen a lot of model or soon will be mods that are replacing the models for different ranged weapons in k1 - which is great but model changes dont go well with big mods like bossr - i have one example (not of a ranged weaponed) i had an amazing mod that changed robe models and textures but the textures for bossr were for the originals and it ended up all scrambled so...

i was thinking that instead of new models for the ranged weapons someone might just make more intense high res skins for them unless someone knows for sure that there are no skins for ranged weapons in bossr and they just use the originals - then ill ask for a remodel

note: my override folder revolves around bossr

I actually was going to request this sometime. I once saw on here somewhere that someone had started it and it looked very good but the mod died... I haven't been able to find the old thread though. If I can I will post it on here as I think it's a very good example of what could be done for this mod.

my whole point was if the BOS:SR mod didnt have any new textures for ranged weapons then i would try to convince a few modders to start a mod that replaced all of the ranged weapons models to better ones - that are seen in the movies or other starwars games - but i know that myself and many others like BOS:SR so i dont want to do something that will make some ranged weapon in BOS:SR i dont know about look bad - if you know what i mean

There shouldn't be any problem with that, and your idea is a good one, if you have some help from other moders, I would probably download it (even if I have already unique models for every weapon in game, but some extra weapons, isn't bad x))

well then if there is no problem - i have some ideas for the basic blasters - and a few person specific ones

Blaster Pistol

princessleia.gif

Heavy Blaster Pistol

500px-SWHanB.jpg

Bendak’s Pistol / Cassus Fett’s Pistol

31gHX6-LGqL.jpg

Calo Nord’s Pistol

250px-S-5_pistol.jpg

well i have decided that reskinning the weapons will be a whole lot easier then replacing models - but i am not very talented with gimp - in other words my textures suck...

so any help would be superb

this is amazing Dak it was the just what i was thinking

if i practice more with my textures i might give this a try

a lot of practice

Edit: well i down loaded and installed paint.net and have practiced doing some simple stuff to get the feel for the program

i want to start this but i do not model and do no have the modeling program to get a UV map like in the tutorial i was looking at so instead of downloading installing ex. i thought i would just request an image of the UV map for the original blaster carbine model

once i make some progress and get at least one done i will start a WIP thread

Note: i dont know what the size should be but as long as i make it consistant for all my ranged skins i dont think it will matter

First off, you should really use GIMP instead of paint.net. It's the closest thing to photoshop and IMO it's just about as good. Also, you're thinking about the wrong thing as far as a UV map I think. You don't need to re-UVmap this at all, just reskin it. The skin can be found in kotor tool along with every other skin in the game :)

Best of luck with this!

Nope you're doing everything totally right - you can't see what anything is because the default weapon textures for the game suck horribly. It's just all blurry. What I might do to test it out is block in different areas of the skin in different colors and test it in-game to see what everything is if you know what I mean.

oh yeah thanks i never thought of doing that

Edit: ok my request is still here - i spent the last few hours reskining the basic blaster carbine and it looks horrible - it looks like a toy

i am still going to mess around for practice but i still request someone with greater skill to do it that way even while im reskining for practice i will have something to compare it to - it is hard to know what to do when all i have to start with is a grey square

Despite what Dak said, the vanilla models really do need to be remapped first if you want to apply some decent textures to them.

EDIT: If you want to try and work with the existing models however, here are the K1 UV maps.

th_K1_w_blstrcrbn.jpg th_K1_w_blstrpstl.jpg th_K1_w_blstrrfl.jpg

th_K1_w_bowcstr.jpg th_K1_w_dsrptpstl.jpg th_K1_w_dsrptrfl.jpg

th_K1_w_hldoblst.jpg th_K1_w_hvrptbltr.jpg th_K1_w_hvyblstr.jpg

th_K1_w_ionblstr.jpg th_K1_w_ionrfl.jpg

And to give you a bit of a start, here's a colour-coded guide to how the map of the blaster pistol is laid out:

th_K1_Blaster_Pistol_UV1.jpg th_K1_Blaster_Pistol_UV2.jpg

Despite what Dak said, the vanilla models really do need to be remapped first if you want to apply some decent textures to them.

Eh I guess I worded that wrong. I guess I meant that while it would definitely be beneficial it wasn't entirely necessary. That's extremely helpful to anyone who might take this up though. Thanks Darth P, that's pretty awesome. I really hope someone can do this sometime.

im going to start practicing with the blaster pistol because it is color coded - one question what about all of the white space - and thanks again this will be really helpful

Note: this is not really a request anymore so should this thread be moved by a Moderator or should i just start another thread in the basic Holowan Laboratories section to post questions as i progress?

I guess I meant that while it would definitely be beneficial it wasn't entirely necessary.
Remapping may perhaps not be entirely necessary to do a basic reskin, but it is absolutely necessary if you want to do anything half-decent. You'll see in that thread you linked to earlier that Captain Hair quickly abandoned the notion of reskinning the vanilla models and instead started making custom models. The reason being that the vanilla models are terrible, even if you went to the trouble of remapping them.

My advice to anyone interested in something like this would be to start from scratch and make all new models with a decent poly count that you can map in a logical manner on a decent res texture (i.e. 1024x1024). The vanilla models are simply not worth the time and effort to try and salvage.

what about all of the white space
The white space is empty - there is nothing mapped there.

i think im still going to stick with the original models - i dont have alot of skill but ive noticed that there is alot you can do with textures and it is the thing i know and enjoy the most

also did it take you long to do the color code thing because if you are willing to do the others that would be extremely helpful - a jump start

Here are what I would think are the most commonly used models. That should cover you for a healthy portion of the weapons in the game.

Heavy Blaster Pistol:

th_K1_Hvy_Blst_Pistol_UV1.jpg th_K1_Hvy_Blst_Pistol_UV2.jpg

Blaster Rifle:

th_K1_Blaster_Rifle_UV1.jpg th_K1_Blaster_Rifle_UV2.jpg

Heavy Repeating Blaster Rifle:

th_K1_Hvy_Rp_Blst_Rfl_UV1.jpg th_K1_Hvy_Rp_Blst_Rfl_UV2.jpg

(this must be one of the worst mapped models in the history of gaming)

(this must be one of the worst mapped models in the history of gaming)

You mean all of the above? :p

I never realized just how bad these were until I opened them up myself... like, was bioware really that lazy? It's just a bunch of blurry crap. Would have probably looked better as flat colors. I wish you luck, bryzz.

Archived