Home

Star Wars KOTOR: Counterplay

Juhani watched as the captain left, making sure to keep Visas in sight as they walked her toward the brig. Juhani was trying to take deep breaths to calm herself down but it wasn't working. She could feel the darkside tearing away at her peace of mind.

Who...does that woman think she is?! I never tried to hide Visas away from the captain. That cursed twi'lek was the one who suggested it. All I did was say that Visas was under my protection...She came in at the wrong moment.

She stood still in the hallway as she visibly struggled not to ignite her lightsaber. That would set off quite a few alarms and right now she didn't want to draw any attention to herself.

She walked directly toward the captain and whispered in her ear. "Before you start accusing people of sheltering stowaways, you might wish to talk the twi'lek. She suggested that Visas hide in her quarters." Juhani hissed as she walked past and went to her quarters, making sure that the door was locked behind her. She sat down on her bed and attempted to begin her meditation but she was too angry to focus.

• Replies 358
  • Created
  • Last Reply

((NOTE: Now would be the perfect time for the Millennial Mole to find Perdante and make slow inroads toward reaching her--to soothe her wounded pride, first off. It is no accident that Perdante Dareva is akin to Anakin Skywalker in Revenge of the Sith!))

ABOARD THE MILLENNIAL, MESS HALL

"Aye, aye," Perdante replied quickly, fleeing away from the Captain, Visas Marr, and the brig. She knew full well what she had done wrong, but what if Captain Starr had been planning on attacking Visas Marr, the accused stowaway who was now locked in a cold, dark cell in the brig on the Millennial's lower level? No matter. She had made her mistake, and now she would pay for it by facing the Captain's distrust and scorn, perhaps for the rest of the mission...Everything was going wrong. What an utter mess!

She suddenly felt in the mood for a cold, stiff drink of juma juice. Finding nothing in the cold storage refrigeration unit but water, however, she settled for that. Sitting down in one of the metal chairs, she slumped her head down on the table. She wasn't going to cry--Jedi were supposed to be long past feeling such emotions. Instead, she just let herself breathe for a moment.

"My name is Visas Marr, Captain Starr. I am familiar with your name, I am a former Jedi and so I used to be in contact with Admiral Carth Onasi. He often sought my presence for word of the Exile and Revan, since they both vanished into the Unknown Regions of space", Visas stated and then sat down on the cold metal bed of the brig.

"I shall save you your breath and answer the most pertinent question at this time, why I am here? You see, for the past years the visions I had of the Exile began getting more scarce, and with that I started to feel her presence fading further and further. Having my life sworn to her, I decided to investigate on my own about her whereabouts. I heard from your mission from Admiral Onasi, he suggested I left the business alone. But I could not. I had to make sure I was able to gather as much clues of her whereabouts as fast as possible. You are going after Kristoff of the Found, well I need answers from him as well. He is the one link I have right now to the fate of the exile and Revan. I did not want to miss such opportunity and for that I stowed away on your ship. I apologize for my actions, and will not oppose resistance to the punishment you intend to place on me for this. But I ask you, of your good will, if you would allow me the chance to speak to this Kristoff if you find him", Visas explained, she hoped this would answer most of the questions that the Captain might have.

"Yes, my name is Lun Beron, I'm with the Health & Safety department of the Coruscant job board, and I'm here to inspect your plant." Garren told the receptionist, pulling out the appropriate ID. "So far, I'm not impressed. And don't tell me I'm not expected, that's the whole point. If you were expecting me, you could make it look a lot more up to code than it really is."

MIRACLE METALS, CORUSCANT

The reception droid cleared its "throat". "I assure you, Mister Beron," it replied, "that a thorough inspection of our plant will reveal it is ENTIRELY up to code. I am going to summon our foreman, Link Tarack, to assist you in this matter."

"No need," said Link Tarack, a burly, ruddy-faced man of about forty-five. Some strange lesions were spread all down his hirsute arms. "Sir? Come with me." He had a cigon dangling from his blubbery lips, and his hard hat was worn askew.

"Certainly." Garren replied, following the burly foreman into the plant. "Now, this company dealt in ostanovium prior to it being banned by the Senate. I trust that since then, you've taken the proper disposal procedures. Am I correct?"

“Boredom!” Jedi Padawan Arai Elan sang softly to her good friend, Padawan Dominic Travesty. She grinned at him and nodded subtly to where their masters were in intense discussions with some random Selkath. They’d been fully introduced to the young padawans, but Arai hadn’t cared enough to remember.

“Dom,” she whispered to him. “Are you as bored as I am?”

His head rolled on his neck to exaggerate his eyeroll. "Force yes..."

There was that sparkle in Arai’s eyes, the one that said she was scheming up something. But all she said was, “Sure is wet around here…”

He looked at her with a raised eyebrow - but he understood a second after his gaze caught hers. His eyes picked up that same sparkle. "It sure is...I'm sure the Masters would positively hate getting wet..."

Arai nodded. “Alright,” she said, ever the planner. “There’s one way to do this that they’ll be certain it was us and there’s at least seven ways they’ll… actually, they’ll just be certain it was us, but the straightforward approach, a simple Force shove is too bland. It’s gotta make a splash.” She giggled. “Pun totally intended.”

"Hmm..." he surveyed the area...and quickly saw that this was their lucky day. "Look - the boardwalk is under construction. The scaffolding--"

Arai's eyes sparkled in silent laughter and she glanced toward their masters and the Selkath. An element of urgency entered her expression. "Quickly, Dom! Their meeting is almost over."

Dominic slid to his feet and moved quickly, staying low and silent as he and Arai crossed to the scaffolding. He didn't dare use the Force - his master would surely sense it - so this would have to be done by hand...not to mention, he needed to get close enough to examine the scaffolding in order to know how to loosen it.

The metal piping that made up the make-shift boardwalk was supported by two durasteel rods that stood out from the side of the sea wall; the platform above those rods stuck directly out over open water. Skimming across the edge of the walkway that was currently under construction - an easy task, considering the team assigned to it had apparently taken a break elsewhere - and left the side closest to their previous position to Arai. He bent over the edge of the sea wall to look at the mechanism. It was a swinging joint, held tightly in position by a simple bolt. Looking to Arai, he silently made a twisting motion, indicating that she should simply loosen the bolt. He knew that if the platform had weight on it - say, the weight of two masters and their Selkath companions - and nothing to support it, then it would tip very quickly to a very precarious angle...

Arai glanced swiftly back the way they'd come and twisted the bolt loose. With a quick thumbs-up gesture to Dom, she hurried back the way they'd come. She and Dom reentered the meeting room just as their masters were bowing to conclude the meeting. She grinned to Dom, winked, and then put on the solemn expression expected of Jedi Padawans.

He did the same, folding his arms into the wide arms of his outer robe. His face was solemn, expressionless, his eyes keen and dutifully observant. When the masters indicated for them to follow, he nodded with a "yes, Master," and followed obediently. Of course, he was careful enough to stay several steps behind the Selkath so that when the walkway gave way, dumping five flailing bodies into the endless sea of Manaan, he was safely away.

As the masters and their Selkath friends tumbled into the sea, Arai laughed and wrapped her arms around Dominic. "Have I told you today how brilliant you are?" she asked.

He couldn't answer her for a long time, so heavy was his laughter. His arm automatically settled around her waist as he rocked sideways, bumping shoulders with her. Raising an arm, he wiped away a tear as he began to breathe again. "Not yet," he said lightly, grinning down at her. "I think you're overdue."

Giggling, Arai leaned her head against his shoulder and looked down into the water. "Ooh," she said softly. "They are not looking terribly peaceful down there..."

The masters' disproving, evil-eyed glare faded from his mind's eye as he was returned to the present by the sound of a passing starship. Dominic's cool green eyes flicked upward to watch it hum across the horizon and then disappear over his head, dropping lower every second until it disappeared into a docking bay. He shook his head rapidly for a second before standing straight again, stepping away from the sea wall he'd been leaning against.

The waves lapped with the same steady rhythm they had all those years ago, when things were still simple, before he had so many questions, before the galaxy went so wrong. On that day, it had been just him and Arai, running together, training together, getting into serious trouble with their masters together. And then the missions pulled her away from the Academy, and their paths diverged in two totally opposite directions.

But she found him again, by some stroke of luck or fate, and now he couldn't get her out of his head. Most of the time, his search for Khristoff kept him successfully distracted...but now that he was left doing nothing as the time until his Kolto order was ready, he had nothing to distract himself, and so she filled his mind again. With a sigh that was a mixture of exhaustion and discouragement, he turned around and decided to hunt down the nearest cantina. A drink would do him good.

Arai's attention snapped back to the sea and for a moment she felt almost sick. "What the Force was that?" she murmured. But she didn't have to be told; she knew almost immediately that she had just shared a vision of the past with an old friend. And that meant he was close. The nausea was simply a side-effect of the fact that he had somehow rejected the Force. Ostanovium was her best guess.

She glanced down at the data chip in her fingers. Then, with a disgusted face, she pitched it into the sea below and spun to enter the cantina behind her. So far, every path she'd followed for information on what she now referred to as the "metal of death" had been a dead end. Even the so-called "supplier" of the metal had turned out to know far less than he'd thought he did. Another waste of time.

Just as she crossed the threshold into the cantina, her right shoulder brushed against someone else entering the same cantina. With that faint contact came a vivid image of a young boy with bright green eyes and messy blond hair... Arai lurched a bit ungracefully to her left and stared at him, more than a little shocked.

"Dom," she breathed. Then, she grinned from ear to ear. They'd shared a vision of the past; she knew from that connection that he was here. So why was running into him here such a surprise? And this time, they were both standing, making it just that much easier to slip back into their younger roles as Arai instinctively embraced her old friend.

"Two chance run-ins in as many days, Tinker?" she said, poking his side playfully. "A third time and I'll really start to wonder if you're following me."

Dominic shifted as his shoulder was brushed, turning to look at the new comer, an apology already on his lips. The cantina was crowded, and the line for the barkeep's attention was a long one, so it wasn't much of a surprise that someone just entering would accidentally run in to him...but it was a surprise that the bumper would be the very woman that was now occupying his thoughts. He blinked rapidly, as if to make certain that he was actually seeing her - like a few blinks could wipe away a delusion.

"Or I might just have a drinking problem." he grinned, hugging her back quickly before stepping back from her. Tinker. It had been a long time since anyone had called him that. "Long time no see. How'd that business on Coruscant go?"

Somehow, the Arai from this moment and the Arai from his memory melded into one person for just this occasion. Suddenly, there was no reason to be stand-offish or cautious; it was just him and an old friend, a friend he hadn't seen in a long time. But that effect would soon wear off - especially once it worked its way out of his subconscious and he realized what was going on.

"Oh yeah - we live in the highest level of luxury on the ship," Mica said, standing beside Melany and putting his arm cockily over her shoulder. He added lewdly, "Maybe you'd like to see it sometime?"

Melany raised an eyebrow at Mica and grinned. "Mmmm-Maybe..."

"Yeah - if she wants to sleep on a straw mattress." Sal muttered sourly, turning back to his controls.

"I heard that!" Melany wanted to say to Sal playfully, but thought otherwise. "So... what do you think will happen if we catch these crooks?"

Dominic wasn't the only one lost in a world that had long since faded into the past.

"Business as usual," Arai answered with a shrug. "Exiled Jedi-turned-mercenary turns a slave trafficking ring upon itself, frees nearly fifty captives in the process." A beat. "Well, alright so I did have help on that one..." She grinned faintly. "Mind you, Republic Intel was a little wary of working with me. Have been ever since the Jedi threw me out, you know..."

And just as suddenly as she slipped into the role of his best bud "Raia", she came back to her senses, back to the present, albeit reluctantly. She brought her right hand up and ran it through her hair, a puzzled expression on her face. She didn't want to give up that closeness and she wanted him to know it.

"Force, Dom," she said softly, "I don't know if I realized 'till just now how much I missed having you around..."

((Would the Millennial Mole please step up and mess with Perdante's head? :p She's still feeling mighty insulted, alone, dejected and furious...))

Garren Shain wondered what would happen if the words "um" and "uh" were suddenly removed from foreman Link Tarack's vocabulary. Garren suspected that Link wouldn't have very much of a vocabulary LEFT with which to work!

"Um, uh, disposal procedures? We usually let our droids handle that, but as, uh, ostanovium is, um, a metal, we, uh, haven't been exactly sure what to, um, do in these incendiary circumstances." Link scratched his head. Did "incendiary" mean "out of the ordinary" or "able to light things on fire"? At the moment, he couldn't remember. Come to think of it, Link himself couldn't remember a lot of things lately. He was only fifty-five years old, too. Sure, your memory wasn't what it was at the age of twenty, but then again...

Was he experiencing early signs of dementia? Link suddenly grew scared.

"Look," he sighed. "I'm just a shift foreman here. If you really want to talk to someone who's in charge of metals disposal, talk to the guy in the hazardous materials biosuit over there." Link jerked his thumb over toward the said personage. "Rodian. Name's Targee Ghut. He'd know about that stuff you're talking about. Osta-whatchamacallit. Good luck with everything, sir..."

((Super post, comin' at'cha!))

GUYO'S CANTINA, MANAAN

"Well, having a dishonorable discharge from the Jedi Order isn't exactly the best thing to have on one's resume..." Dominic chuckled, his arms falling back to his sides as he stepped back from her. The crowd by the bar was beginning to dwindle as patrons received their drinks and dispersed, filtering away to tables and chairs. The two friends made it to the bar in no time.

"Yeah...sometimes, I do wish I had someone to play a prank or two on." he said with a light shrug when they reached the bar, and, leaning an elbow against the side of the bar top, he asked, "Do you still drink Juma?"

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

ABOARD THE MILLENNIAL, PRISON LEVEL

"You worked with the Jedi Exile?" Fara asked, the faintest traces of awe working its way through her carefully composed cold facade. When she realized that she was slipping, she straightened her expression and stood a little straighter, closing her hands behind her back in a trademark military fashion. "Well then, Ms. Marr, that is a fairly fantastic tale; the Exile is practically a living legend, so you'll have to forgive me for being a little skeptical of your connection to her. If you don't mind, I'm going to have my men run a quick background check to verify your story. If it turns out you're telling the truth..." she seemed to be thinking of what to say as she said it. After a short pause, she finished, "We'll talk again after the results come back."

And with that, Fara made an about-face and left the Miraluka alone in her cell, signaling one of the patrolling guards to follow her. Giving sharp, curt orders, she had him running off to another level to have a background check on one Visas Marr. However, she didn't much feel like returning to the Bridge just yet - and seeing as they wouldn't be dropping out of hyperspace any time soon, she turned left at the elevator instead of right, and went on.

ABOARD THE MILLENNIAL, COMMAND BRIDGE

"Oh, I dunno." Mica said as he stood straight again, putting both hands behind his head. "We'll all get medals, I suppose - maybe even a promotion! The Admiral gets that this is a hugely bad problem, so if we can beat it, then we're sure to get a hugely good reward...an upgrade in pay, new uniforms, maybe even a squad or two under our--"

The elder twin's daydreaming was abruptly interrupted by his brother's sharp, jerking rise from his seat. The motion made it look as though he had just been stabbed in the back side with a red hot iron, and his expression spoke of the same. "I can't stand listening to your babble." he growled lowly, and turned for the door. "I'm getting a drink, if Fara needs me."

Mica watched his counterpart leave the Bridge with a shocked, bewildered gaze. Sal had had all the anger of a freshly-branded Rancor...and for no reason! His mouth, which had gone slack, now worked like a fish out of water. "But...but...you're not supposed to leave your station!" He called, but it didn't matter. He was already gone.

Salvatore practically collapsed onto a stool in front of the Mess Hall's bar, ordering up a draft of Tarisian Ale. It wasn't the real stuff, naturally - but a brew as strong and popular as Taris' pride and joy never disappeared for good so long as someone had had the brains to hang on to the recipe for it. When the mess captain OK'ed the dispersal of the drink, a chilled glass was slapped down in front of him and filled. He didn't waste any time; he tossed his head back and took a big gulp, eyes beginning to water as the alcohol seared his tongue and throat. Once he'd swallowed the liquid, he breathed a sigh, blinked, and surveyed the area.

It didn't take long for his eyes to land on the Jedi woman that was sitting two empty seats to his left. He looked at her for only a moment before speaking. "Drinking already, Jedi?" he asked, his face straight as he lifted his own glass. "That's rather unhealthy for you." And down went another quarter of the glass.

Zen could tell both Juhani and Perdante were upset with what was happening to one of their own. He too knew that feeling of helplessness and how horrible it felt. He did not know this Visas Marr, but she was trusted by Juhani and that was enough for him to take action. He waited a few seconds for everyone else to leave before following. He watched Perdante walk off and bowed his head slightly. She truly was a noble warrior with much potential but she still had much to learn. Zen rounded a corner and made sure no one saw him before turning own his armor's active camouflage feature. The suit made a slight hum to indicate the camo had been activated. He walked back down to the prison level where the Captain was interrogating Visas. As both Juhani and Perdante had come to his aid when he was angered, he would do the same by making sure one of their own was not harmed. Seeing that the Captain was only asking questions, Zen found himself easing up on his guard. He watched the Captain walk out of the room out of the corner of his eye and did not move for a few more seconds. He deactivated his camo to let it recharge, and also assuming she could see him.

"You are a comrade of Grand Master Juhani," he said to her. "I am Zen Zoramee, a Sangheili Warrior, and currently the leader of the Reclaimers. Like you I am a comrade of Juhani. Being her comrade I trust everything you stated is true and this misunderstanding will be worked out shortly."

That was indeed his original intention when he stayed in the area. They were all comrades now and aiding one another was key. It was until Visas spoke of her intentions that Zen was struck with curiosity. She wanted to keep The Prophet of Truth alive? His teachings were all wrong and had only led to death. For that Zen would make sure that Kristoff fell by his blade.

"You say you wish to speak to Kristoff in order to find you comrades? I have no problem in helping you accomplish your task as we are comrades now...my only request is that I can finish him off once you are through with him."

"Rather unhealthy?" Perdante asked Sal with a wry upturn of her full lips. "I think my liver will be slightly poisoned today, if not substantially." She sighed and shook her head. "No. I won't get completely loaded. That would make the Captain hate me even more than she already does, at least for now. She doesn't need any drunk Jedi aboard her ship, or quasi-Jedi."

Taking another sip of her juma juice, she continued, "I shouldn't have ignited my sabers. That was wrong, more wrong than wrong ever was. However, am I not really a Jedi after all? I said I'd stand down if the Captain promised not to harm Visas Marr. I wasn't planning on the mutiny she assumed I was planning," Perdante said disgustedly, "and neither was my mentor, Juhani. Visas? She wasn't intending on taking over the ship, either. Seriously!"

She downed the rest of her shot in one gulp. "What say you, Sal? Hmm?"

"I say in retrospect, flirting with women who are Force-users and stowaways is a pretty bad idea. And all things considered, her lack of eyes is a bit of a turnoff." Niera said as she entered, joining the group in the mess hall. "Although, I'm just glad the captain hasn't questioned me yet for my involvement. Why am I not surprised that the Cathar already doesn't like me?"

Instead of immediately speaking with Targhee Ghut, Garren went to a directory for the building in order to locate the main shipping office. After finding it, he went to speak to the Rodian. "Tell, me, how have you been disposing of ostanovium?"

"Ooh, that metal," replied Targhee Ghut. "Ostanovium bad-bad. We dispose of it here. Flush it down through these pipes." Targhee gestured to a labyrinthine array of ductwork. "Step one: Melt it down. Step two: Mix with water. Step three: Flush through pipes. That what big-big politician say to do." Targhee shrugged. "I do not know how much she knows about metal, but I think this is stupid way to get rid of bad-bad stuff. Still, she pays us..."

Perdante's head suddenly swiveled around. "You were trying to flirt with Visas Marr?" The young Jedi stifled a giggle. "And here I thought you were simply offering her a place to hide from the Captain and her security droids! Interesting..." She drummed her fingers on the counter. "Oh, and about Juhani? She didn't exactly like me when she first met me. Granted, I was a Sith Initiate at the time who was trying to duel her to the death! Fractured my tibia, she did, and after that I wasn't much for winning our epic battle."

Juhani was trying to calm herself, to rid herself of the anger that she was feeling but she simply couldn't. She didn't even know why she was angry anymore. All she could see was the face of her former master Quatra. The one that she had nearly killed back during her days at the Dantooine academy.

But the academy was gone now. As were nearly all of the Jedi who had resided there during the jedi civil war. The academy had been destroyed by the found and now only the academy on Coruscant remained.

All those lives lost...What have we jedi done to the galaxy to deserve such hatred? We rose to the defense of the Republic time and time again. And yet we are still hated.

Her anger was reaching a breaking point as the walls of her quarters began to creak and groan as the raw force energy she was putting out began to bend the metal. An alarm began to go off.

But Juhani was unaware. It was as if she was stuck in a trance filled with anger and rage of her own making.

Garren was horrified, but at the same time, realised this was better evidence than he hoped for. "I see. Now, I've checked the schematics of this building, and do you know where these pipes lead? They lead into the supply lines for drinking water all over the planet. What you're supposed to do is incinerate it. Now, I'll need everything relating to this politician that you have on file, especially video footage." He told the rodian, suddenly not caring if he broke his cover.

"You know, it's a bit of a shame you're so tied down to the Jedi Code. Garren and I could really use someone like you on our ship." Niera told her, helping herself to some the imitation Tarisian Ale.

Rodians do not blush. Nor do their faces turn pale. Nevertheless, if Targhee Ghut had been human, he would have done the latter. "No!" he squealed, his bulbous black eyes seeming to pop even further out of his head. "Me no can do that. Big-big politician say if reporters come and want to take pictures, then me should summon Big Boss Link and have him smash them good! Uh--of course, me no can do that, either," stammered Targhee. "Me engineer. Me not fighter. Me give you fair-fair deal. How about you no take pictures, but in exchange me burn up all the bad-bad stuff. Okays?" He tried to smile.

"Big-big politician get mad if yous take pictures. She send men in all black to kill Targhee if he tell. Me see them around plant from time to time. Look!" The engineer pointed. "Janitor not janitor. He assassee--uh, kill-kill guy."

"I don't see it as being tied down, necessarily," replied Perdante. "The Jedi Code has helped to calm me--except when dire situations emerge, like the confrontation between the Captain and Visas. I'm ashamed of what I've done, because it's one thing to keep calm when things are going well, and quite another to keep your emotions completely in check during a crisis. I think I'll stay on the Millennial for now, but thanks for the offer!"

She winked at Niera, finding her a very attractive and sensible Twi'lek, despite what Captain Starr thought. Perdante was less than thrilled to imagine what the Captain thought of her. Thus, she took another sip of her juma juice, prudently wanting to stick to one shot instead of several.

GUYO'S CANTINA, MANAAN

"Well, having a dishonorable discharge from the Jedi Order isn't exactly the best thing to have on one's resume..." Dominic chuckled, his arms falling back to his sides as he stepped back from her. The crowd by the bar was beginning to dwindle as patrons received their drinks and dispersed, filtering away to tables and chairs. The two friends made it to the bar in no time.

"Yeah...sometimes, I do wish I had someone to play a prank or two on." he said with a light shrug when they reached the bar, and, leaning an elbow against the side of the bar top, he asked, "Do you still drink Juma?"

"Especially when the Republic depends so heavily on the Order," Arai agreed. "Not that they'll admit to any such thing, but you know they do."

When he asked about the drink, Arai stood beside him at the bar and mirrored his pose. "Juma's good, yeah." Once the drink orders were placed, she said, "So what brings you to Manaan?" With a teasing grin, she added, "Well, apart from following me that is."

((Sorry, guys. This August, I'll be going to college and be focused on my career. If you guys want... someone else can play as Melany when I can't RP anymore. :) ))

Melany watched as Sal left the room. She felt bad for him. She thought about cheering him up. Then she looked at Mica.

"Is Sal gonna be all right, Mica?"

His smile suddenly became very stiff at her question. What did he tell her? The truth? He didn't want to worry her...but he didn't really want to lie to her either. He could lie to just about anyone - his activities of the past few years required him to be a fabulous actor - but Arai was different. Finally, after several seconds had elapsed and he took a look around the room and could stall no longer, he gave a light toss of his shoulders.

"I just had to pick up some medicine." he said lightly, dismissively - hoping that the minimal inflection in his voice would allow her to dismiss the meaning of the words, too. He nodded a thank-you to the barkeep as the two jumas appeared in front of them. Taking the glass, he lifted it to his lips and took a sip before looking back to her. "What about you?"

She saw him stiffen and wondered what it meant. Cautiously, she called on the Force to see if her shatterpoint ability could explain to her why her former friend was so dodgy. His verbal answer did not satisfy, but she had no time to press him further; he turned the question back on her. With him being so evasive, she was put even more on her guard at the returning question. Did she dare tell him why she was there?

Yes, she told herself. But she didn't have to be entirely truthful as to her motives.

"Research," she answered. "There's this stuff called ostanovium. Some sort of metal and I'm interested, but few people in the galaxy seem to have heard of it, let alone know much of anything about it."

"It's a deal. Am I right in guessing she specifically said pictures." Garren replied. Then, remembering what the rodian said about the janitor, he added. "Now, if Plina Skelch is working for who I think she's working for, she'd know my real name, even if she can't put a face to it, and she'd want me dead. Because my name isn't Lun Beron, it's Garren Shain!" That would be enough to provoke the fake janitor into doing something really stupid.

Archived