Home

Star Wars KOTOR: Counterplay

Republic HQ

"Simple, we prove her wrong." Was all Garren had to say. Far too many people had died for Senator Skelch to simply walk away.

Millennial, Outside Visas's quarters

Niera buzzed the door Visas's quarters again, trying to get a response. Naturally she felt responsible for what happened to the Miraluka. If she hadn't pointed her out in an ill-conceived attempt at flirting, neither of them would be in this mess.

• Replies 358
  • Created
  • Last Reply

GALACTIC SENATOR SKELCH'S OFFICES, CORUSCANT

A protocol droid was there to greet Admiral Carth Onasi of the Galactic Republic, along with his brothers-in-arms Garren Shain and Atton Rand--both "intelligence officers". "Greetings, and welcome to the offices of Galactic Senator Plina Skelch," intoned the droid. "How may I assist the three of you today?"

Visas was sitting in the middle of what was now her quarters, which was by all purposes the cargo hold. Her power was channeling from her in sort of a blue mist, this happened everytime she reached out with the force but to those around her when she was a sith, the color had changed from red. She had become a Jedi because of the Exile. And she was much more at peace with herself since then.

All of a sudden she heard a buzzing from the door. She did not look but opened the door with a flick of her wrist.

"There is no need to be so formal, this is after all, the cargo hold. A place used by everyone aboard this ship", Visas said as she continued to sit but facing in the direction of the young woman who had just joined her.

"I suppose, but I'm here to apologise. If I hadn't made a pass at you, you wouldn't have been arrested and interrogated." Niera explained. "In retrospect, I'm not sure why I thought I should hit on you in the first place. It wouldn't have bothered my boyfriend, and you're pretty good looking, but Miraluka really aren't my type. I'm Niera Secura, by the way."

"It is a pleasure Niera, I am Visas Marr. The fact that I was arrested was no fault of anyone but my own. Do not be troubled by it, I was a stowaway in a military ship, it was a matter of time before anyone would have noticed a former Jedi Miraluka on board", Visas said and stood up. She wasn't accustomed to laughing or humor in any way but she chuckled momentarily for her remark about her not being her type. "I don't think Miraluka are anyone's type but Miraluka alone. Although I did feel attraction towards a human before".

She was crearly talking about the exile but her attraction was rather more her personality and her actions rather than the fact that she was a female and a human.

"Are you a soldier?", Visas asked.

ABOARD THE MILLENNIAL, PERDANTE'S QUARTERS

"Indeed," the young Knight responded. "I need to learn a bit more patience. Juhani, thank you for trying to help me instead of...judging me, and saying that I was an unfit Jedi. I've known some people in my life who would have done that," she continued, remembering her old Sith Master for a brief moment. "All the same, no more kisses, with Sal or anyone from now on. A Jedi shall not know anger, nor hatred, nor love. This is the Code that I have sworn to live by, and with the help of the Force, I will fulfill the vow that I've made." She smiled.

It brought Zen some peace to see Juhani and Perdante resolve the problem. Juhani was a good teacher, and Perdante had great potential. Suddenly and idea popped into Zen's head. The whole reason Perdante sparred with Sal was because of her being worried about the fight with the Prophet of Truth. He sat up from the bed and looked at Juhani and then Perdante.

"Perhaps I too can help with that. I can spar with Perdante from time to time," he said to Juhani before looking back at Perdante. "And you shouldn't have to worry about feeling the urge to kiss me. I know I am incredibly attractive but I'm sure you'll be able to resist that temptation." he said with a chuckle, knowing that his race was far from attractive.

Perdante winked at Zen. "I agree, brother, if Juhani also will. Have you heard of the Juyo, or Ferocity, lightsaber form? When Sal and I were sparring, that was the stance I was trying to practice. It is the most potent one of all, and the form that comes the closest to drawing upon the power of the Dark Side. I need someone to keep me steady and balanced, focusing upon my opponent and his or her attack strategy at the exact moment I'm tempted to give in to the lust for battle. The goal of Juyo is to overwhelm one's opponent--not to kill him."

Millennial, Cargo Hold

"Not exactly. Garren and I are smugglers, and following our involvement with the attack on the Found compound two years ago, the Republic decided to hire us to deal with them again." Niera explained. "Truth be told, I didn't have much to do with that attack. Garren called me in at the last minute."

Senator Skelch's Offices, Coruscant

"Yes, we need to speak with her in private as soon as possible. It's a matter of the utmost importance." Garren explained, remaining vague, since Skelch could be watching, and he didn't want to tip her off prematurely.

OFFICES OF GALACTIC SENATOR SKELCH, CORUSCANT

"I'm sorry," the protocol droid replied in its matter-of-fact monotone, "but Galactic Senator Skelch is not in the vicinity of these offices at present. She is giving a speech to her colleagues in the Senate about the dangers of a certain metal called ostanovium, and how a serum has recently been developed to counteract the lethality of same. Would you like to listen to the speech?"

Dominic's Freighter, en route to Nar Shaddaa

Arai rose, stretched, and back down the hall that led to the cockpit. "Food would be good," she said, subconsciously placing a hand on her stomach, which was now complaining to her of how long it had gone without nourishment. "Especially if I've been out for two days." She paused, staring down the hall. "Where's the kitchen?" Another beat. "And can I get you anything?"

Dominic shook his head, standing up as he straightened his shirt. "Don't be silly," he said, "We're on Autopilot until we drop into the system, so I might as well go with you."

For the next fifteen minutes, the two friends chatted over caffe and snacks, neither one having the appetite - or the energy - for a full-out meal. It was nice, Dominic thought; it had been a long time since he had been able to simply sit down and talk to someone, without pretense and without fear of revealing anything. What more could he reveal? She already knew about ostanovium, about the Found, about his past as a Jedi...

When the alarm sounded to announce the drop from hyperspace, Dominic excused himself and went to the cockpit to begin initiating docking procedure. It didn't take long for him to get clearance to the moon. With the number of freighters coming in and out of the system - and the speed and frequency at which they did so - no one blinked an eye at his little battered ship. Within ten minutes, they had established a trajectory for a docking bay in the mercantile sector.

"If he hasn't decided to up and move," Dominic said, sipping at what was left of his caffe as Arai appeared again, "We should find Pauel on the north side of the sector."

"Perhaps I too can help with that. I can spar with Perdante from time to time,"

Juhani nodded. "I believe that would be a good idea. I would like it if you were the one to spar with her instead of that Republic man."

"I agree, brother, if Juhani also will. Have you heard of the Juyo, or Ferocity, lightsaber form? When Sal and I were sparring, that was the stance I was trying to practice. It is the most potent one of all, and the form that comes the closest to drawing upon the power of the Dark Side. I need someone to keep me steady and balanced, focusing upon my opponent and his or her attack strategy at the exact moment I'm tempted to give in to the lust for battle. The goal of Juyo is to overwhelm one's opponent--not to kill him."

Juhani nodded. She had practiced the Juyo form quite a few times and her apprentice was right. It was a dangerous form to practice.

"If you do intend to keep on practicing the Juyo form then I would advise you to only practice it with Zen. If you do lose control then Zen might be the only one besides me who can hold his own against you."

She looked at the door and began walking out. "I think it's time that I speak with Visas. If you two do intend to begin sparring then please be safe."

Juhani walked out the door and headed to the cargo hold, she could sense Visas was in there.

Zen was glad to see that Perdante welcomed the idea of him being her sparring partner. However he was not familiar with the form that Perdante was referring to. He tired to remember his duel with Juhani as he recalled something that sounded familiar. She attacked him with a series of quick strikes and jabs. Could this be the form Perdante was talking about? If it was than he would have no problem helping her improve on it.

"I am not familiar with this Juyo form, but I can assure you it won't be a problem for me."

He allowed a small smile to escape as Juhani left the room. He was glad to see she respected and trusted him just as much as he did with her.

"Well it is wise to seek the help of those who have encountered one's enemy before. You have been with the republic ever since then I presume?", Visas asked but more than a question it seemed like an affirmation. "I was once a Jedi, part of the order until a few years ago. I was with the notorious exile. When she left though, I found myself unable to feel the Jedi Temple as my home. And so I left to seek her out, even though I had promised not to follow her. But somehow I know she needs my help, and my life is bound to her of my choosing, I would gladly die for her".

Millennial, Cargo Hold

"I don't really have all the details, and few people who didn't travel with her do, but I do know she went after the Sith, and it's unlikely the Found have had anything to do with her. And I mean no offense by this, but the whole business with the triumvirate was twelve years ago, and the trail's probably gone cold by now." Niera replied. "How close were the two of you?"

Plina Skelch's Offices, Coruscant

"Very well." Garren replied, turning around to speak to Atton and Carth in private, "I have an idea."

((Could the Millennial Mole please reappear and suggest to Perdante that she start "pulling a Revan" so that she'll be strong enough to defeat Khristoff--strong enough in the Dark Side, that is? Perdy's not going to convince herself...)) :)

OFFICES OF GALACTIC SENATOR PLINA SKELCH, CORUSCANT

"Let's hear it." Admiral Onasi glanced around, making sure no one else, whether a flesh-based sentient being or a droid, was eavesdropping upon their conversation. "At this point, we need all the good ideas we can get. Who knows what kind of bantha dung Skelch is shoveling into the minds of her fellow Senators? I hope to the Force it's not ostanovium is fantastic."

ABOARD THE MILLENNIAL, MAIN HOLD

Perdante bowed to Zen and Juhani as she herself prepared to leave the room. Heading for the Main Hold, she thought about what they had both told her. Mistakes were forgivable, even such an egregious error as kissing one's mission colleague in a fit of blind emotion, but the cause of such mistakes--failing to control one's emotions--was not. She shook her head, taking a seat around the holoprojector, which currently showed Nar Shaddaa.

Fifteen minutes with Dom made everything alright again. Arai wasn't sure if it was just that the presence of an old and true friend had a calming effect on her or if it had something to do with being in close proximity to his ostanovium tattoo. She still didn't know quite enough about the material to be entirely comfortable with it... but being around Dom, now that she could get used to.

But her fears regarding ostanovium would not let her rest completely, especially not since she'd all but agreed to get a tattoo of the stuff, as Dom had. As they drew nearer to Nar Shaddaa, her discomfort only intensified. When Dom told her they were coming in for a landing where they should be able to find his friend, she felt an involuntary shiver run down her spine.

"Dom," she said, her voice wavering. "I don't know..." She trailed off in uncertainty. But he deserved more than that. She frantically tried to put her fears into words. "I have to be honest, Dom. Ostanovium scares the hell out of me, especially after what happened to the Found on Coruscant. I mean... well, you look well enough, so that's point one in its favor, but..."

She sighed. "I'd just feel a lot better about all this if I knew what it was about the stuff that made it fatal to so many. We'll still see this Pauel and chances are very good I'll go through with this, but I want my questions answered first. You said Pauel would probably know the answer to anything I want to know?"

"There's only one person in the galaxy that knows more about ostanovium than Pauel does - and that's the man who discovered it." He turned in the pilot's chair as the engine ground to a halt, its hum fading to a whine, and then to nothing at all. He stood up and stepped by her, expecting her to follow.

"Oh, he knows it." He said in an undertone, going into the dorm and kicking open his foot locker. "The question is, will he tell you?

"If you ask me," he pulled a worn poncho-style cloak over his head and buckled on his belt. His vibrosword quickly followed. "The difference between myself and the fatalities on Coruscant," - he neglected to tell her that he was actually there - "Is that those on Coruscant ingested the ostanovium in the form of capsules. I think that that was what poisoned them."

"You could say we were very close. I could feel her presence anywhere in the galaxy, and she could feel mine. But all of a sudden, in one fell swoop, her presence disappeared. I can feel she's alive, of that I am most certain. But I need to find these people who call themselves the Found and retrieve information from them. Somehow I sense that these people have some idea of her whereabouts. Nothing matters to me more than the exile", Visas said.

Senator Skelch's Offices, Coruscant

"We hijack the holoprojectors in there, and use them to project our evidence right in the middle of the presentation. She'd lose most, if not all of her support, and noone would even think to listen to the bantha fodder she spews out in her defense." Garren suggested. It was risky, and extreme, but they were running out of options.

Cargo Hold, Millennial

"Then I hope you find her. I know what it's like to lose someone you love." Niera replied, though she honestly thought it would be better for Visas to simply accept that the Exile was gone, and that she should move on.

"We hijack the holoprojectors in there, and use them to project our evidence right in the middle of the presentation. She'd lose most, if not all of her support, and noone would even think to listen to the bantha fodder she spews out in her defense."

"That is a good plan...but what happens when she finds out whats going on? She's likely to come looking for who hijacked the system."

Millennial, outside the cargohold

Juhani stopped outside the door to the cargo hold when she heard two voices speaking. One was Visas and the other was the Twi'lek from earlier. She knocked on the door and waited.

Skelch's Offices

"That's what I'm hoping for. We set a trap, and we apprehend her." Garren explained. "Legally, her guards would be obligated to side against her, and this is something she'd want to take care of personally."

Millennial, Cargo Hold

At the sound of the knock, Niera got up and opened the door. Seeing that it was that Cathar, she said, "Nothing to worry about, we were just talking."

"He'll tell me," Arai said simply. "And you'll keep me from taking his head off in the process."

Since running into Dom again, Arai's life had become almost ridiculously simple. On the one hand, she loved it. No more worrying about falling completely to the Dark Side; Dom wouldn't let her. It was like she'd stumbled into this odd parallel universe where she always got her way and nothing could possibly go wrong. But on the flip side, the thought terrified her. It was too good to be true, and that left only one question:

What would go wrong? And when?

But she couldn't focus on that, not now. It would distract her from what she really needed to know. Shrugging her shoulders, she said, "Let's go see whether the man's moved on from this dump or not."

((All right, time to reach Nar Shaddaa and find out who's REALLY preaching...))

ABOARD THE MILLENNIAL, NAR SHADDAA LANDING PAD

Perdante Dareva had never felt such a terrible, bone-jarring jolt as the one that suddenly crash-landed the Millennial on a rickety landing pad in the common sector of Nar Shaddaa. It had always maintained a reputation as a seedy world, one populated by gamblers, thugs, smugglers, and other career criminals. However, one man in particular aimed to change that. His frame was tall and his gaze stern, unwavering from the unwashed crowd he addressed:

"What is the purpose of life? To live? No, not in and of itself. Not merely to exist. The purpose of life--of all our lives--is to worship our Creator and serve him well. Some of you worship the Force, but that false belief will condemn you in the afterlife! The Force is merely a tool, that and no more. Will you continue to drown in the murky waters of confusion and misguided teachings, or will you finally see the Light and the Truth? It's your choice!"

OFFICES OF SENATOR PLINA SKELCH, CORUSCANT

"Agreed," said Carth, "but if any of the guards of the Galactic Senate are on Skelch's payroll, even on the sly, they may not care what is legal and what is not if their secret salaries are high enough. It could turn into a bloodbath in there, or at least a riot." He squared his shoulders.

Archived