Home

Racebending and how much the movie sucked.

Mike Windu

Since this room seems to be a lot more active, I'm curious as to who knows of the racebending controversy for The Last Airbender movie? I'm a big supporter of the movement, so feel free to ask me any questions ;D

For the uninitiated: Avatar: The Last Airbender was an American created tv show based and steeped deeeeeeeeeepppp in Asian culture. In the translation to the big screen, all leading roles were initially cast as White. After protests, the villain/anti hero of the series is recast as an Indian.

racebending.com has more information, and depending on how many people are engaged in this thread, I'll copypasta some of my discussion yesterday, where my friend argued about how I was being a racist for wanting fair casting practices... :p

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

RaceLift

Easy enough to understand, but something that most would just wonder why it is even done. It is odd for most to think that we are in a more advanced time than fifty years ago, and while I'm not discounting the technology, its these nearly archaic things that stop us from truly advancing. Sure, we can stand minorities in cartoons, Anime and other media(aside from films), but when they go to the big screen, it can't be them that take the spotlight? Why in the hell not?

Of course, it doesn't help that most directors(along with the writers, and the production studio) want to only do the things that will make money, and sometimes you can't do that if you tell the story that fans of the series(or whatever it may be), can recognize it perfectly(I'm looking at you, Boll), though that isn't always limited to the changing of race.

Yeah, I heard about the casting complaints. I find it surprising that they cast a bunch of white people considering M. Night Shamwow is freakin' Indian, but what're ya gonna do? If people don't like it, they can vote with their wallet.

My complaints are more along the lines of the changes they made to the film, but again, they have to compress a whole season into one movie. What're ya gonna do?

Can't wait to see the film next week.

I've never seen it and I don't really plan on it. But, imho, if you're going to make a movie about a series where the characters are predominitely Asian, make the actors fit goddammit! Crap like this annoys me when I watch movies and I realize that Character x was supposed to be race r but is race q in the movie. Sure, I understand that maybe there's "more" of a market, but, c'mon if that's how your marketing you need to rethink your marketing and market.

IIRC Kavar's had a thing on this. I don't really think the casting of whites first was intentional but rather just old habit.

However there were many people, back when this whole thing initially happened, who attempted to cast it as malicious and intentionally racist. You know, people who look for even the smallest things to complain about in order to play the race card? I think those people specifically are suffering from shadow profiling and a little bit of racism themselves. Far as fans in general just wanting to keep it accurate, nothing wrong with that.

Street Fighter the movie...I understand we needed someone like Jean Claude Van Damme to play Col. Guile, buuut it'll forever be remembered as starring the "American with a french accent" and a few other things that made it particularly less-than-memorable. Or the more recent Chun Li Street Fighter movie. That gets a facepalm.

No, it's just Hollywierd and its ignorance. Perhaps a bit of lust for more money or market as has already been said. But with (non militant) vigilance, such things can be overcome. A market strategy is no good if 1) it alienates the fanbase

2) it does not successfully branch out to other audiences (experimental) in order to compensate that loss

I probably would have similar complaints when, for example, people with no Native American heritage are given roles as a tribe's men and women in some movie even partially about/inclusive of Native American tribes. Not because I myself am part N.A. but because it's historically inaccurate to do that, and ignorant like I said.

*shrug*

I for one think the whole issue is silly. Who cares what race the actors belong to, if they can portray the character properly?! I didn't care that they were all white, if they are/were good actors and I wouldn't/don't care if they weren't/that they aren't all white either for the exact same reason.

Edit: Man, that's a lot of slashes. :D

I for one think the whole issue is silly. Who cares what race the actors belong to, if they can portray the character properly?! I didn't care that they were all white, if they are/were good actors and I wouldn't/don't care if they weren't/that they aren't all white either for the exact same reason.

Since, you seems to like naruto, lets take naruto as an example.

Imagine Hollywood decides to make a "Naruto; The movie" and then they take a bunch of white people, eating ramens, saying "Rasengan!" with an american accent, with ninja clothes, Japanese clothes, living in a Japanese village, respecting the Japanese culture.

Would you like that the movie was made that way? with white people playing Japanese people, instead of Japanese people, playing Japanese people!?

I don't really know how I'd feel about it, but I probably wouldn't make a big deal out of it.

On another note, when we talk about Avatar The Last Airbender in particular, all of the voice actors on that cartoon were white people/kids, with the exception of the late Mako who did an excellent job voicing Uncle Iroh and nobody seems to be bothered with that little fact, yet they are bothered with an all-white live action cast. This is why I find it silly.

Another example is the movie Daredevil, where Kingpin - the main villain - who is white in the comics was portrayed by a black actor, Michael Clarke Duncan. I don't remember hearing or reading about anyone having problem with that casting choice. Also, IMO, the actor did a very good job with that role in an otherwise mediocre movie.

Would you like that the movie was made that way? with white people playing Japanese people, instead of Japanese people, playing Japanese people!?
I loved that movie. Two thumbs up, way up! :thmbup1::thmbup1:

Show spoiler
(hidden content - requires Javascript to show)
beverly-hills-ninja-ps02.jpg

Is this where I can complain about Goldmember?

That character was supposed to be Dutch but was talking German. I'm deeply offended and will Jihad Mike Meyers for being this insulting towards the Dutch.

OT: Who cares. It's about a movie as a whole. If it doesn't have any additional value for the movie to cast someone race-specific, then don't.

And let's face it...Jackie Chan won't win an Academy award....

A lot of anime has "Japanese" that look more caucasian than not (big eyes, blonde hair, etc...). The choices no doubt have more to do w/perceived box office potential and familiarity than anything else. It's myopic, but hey.....it's Hollywood/show biz.

Ohh yeah, Beverly Hills Ninja. Epic. Who'da thunk a clumsy white boy would fulfill Japanese prophecy? :p

OMGAWDZ Naruto show follows japan just totally to the nth degree. :xp:

And this girl is totally Japanese looking. :rolleyes:

temari.jpg

And this girl.

naruto-ino00153.jpg

OH wait, let's not forget the star himself...

naruto.jpg

And what about the old lady?

koichi_tsunade.jpg

Yup. There's no white actors and actresses who could play THESE characters. :devsmoke:

@ newer members: BTW I'm being a jackass to illustrate my point. No hard feelings.

No no no it's independent arto-cultural sensibilities

No no no....that's just pretentious. Frankly, a lot of anime is basically "white" people running around speaking in Japanese. So, it'd really be irrelevant if you've got that with a live-action flick. Just "independent arto-cultural sensibilities", Hollywood style. :xp: But you totally missed the original point anyway in a misguided attempt at a cheap shot.

Archived