Home

Should SWG be Free

thadgard

If they made it free, I'd worry about the frequency of hotfixes. Right now, they have an average of one to two hotfixes each weak. If they made it free, they would have to let go some of their staff, meaning maintenance of the game will be a lot worse, and their ticket service non-existant.

Do you guys know how much it costs to run those servers? That's what you're paying for. The privilege of using the servers.

And their maintenance. Still, there are some MMO's that are free to play, as I mentioned above, and are a huge sucess.

And their maintenance. Still, there are some MMO's that are free to play, as I mentioned above, and are a huge sucess.
A lot of the free to play MMO's are either dumbed way down, highly instanced, or in some cases both. This doesn't make them less enjoyable, it just means that in order to make it profitable steps had to be taken to reduce strain on the hardware running the game servers. A lot of free MMO's are now using a micro-transaction system.

I just usually find it amusing that people think gaming companies charge monthly fees just to line their pockets. As if it costs nothing to run a server that holds 3000+ people.

I saw a huge amount of new enrollments and old veterans show up, some who hadn't played in years came back. Most said, they were there to pass the time until TOR came out, but some said they couldn't see themselves playing in the "Old Republic Era" (I hate that term because it suggests that the Republic of the Clone Wars was a different republic) because they preferred life in the movie era everyone grew up watching.

LucasArts senior online exec Tom Nichols has confirmed that the firm’s current plan is to run Star War Galaxies alongside The Old Republic for an indefinite period, and that more content is on the way for the current MMO.

“That’s the plan right now,” Nichols told VG247.com when asked specifically if the two would run together indefinitely.

“I think the market will definitely support that.”

Nichols, speaking at this week’s San Francisco launch of BioWare’s The Old Republic, said LucasArts has actively bolstered Galaxies with extra products this year, and that in-game content is in production.

“We’re still committed to Star Wars Galaxies,” he said. “A couple of things: a demonstration of that commitment includes a recent trading card game that we launched in August. It’s doing very well for us and we have a new expansion pack being planned for that.

“Shortly we’re going to release a new Hoth encounter that recreates that classic battle in the Empire Strikes Back, and that’s exciting content for our Galaxies community, so we’re definitely committed to the product.”

The two games will co-exist thanks to their different natures, said the exec.

“I think they’re fundamentally different games. The Old Republic is very focussed on story and has a totally different time-line from Galaxies.

“Galaxies is very much focused on your career and your profession and other different MMO game mechanics as well, and community: that’s game’s been around for five years, so there’s a very strong community feel to it.”

No date for The Old Republic as yet.[spring 2011]

I saw a huge amount of new enrollments and old veterans show up, some who hadn't played in years came back.

Yes, I noticed that two while I was playing the trial last month.

Most said, they were there to pass the time until TOR came out, but some said they couldn't see themselves playing in the "Old Republic Era" (I hate that term because it suggests that the Republic of the Clone Wars was a different republic) because they preferred life in the movie era everyone grew up watching.

That's my opinion too. I never liked the "Old Republic" era, but I'm still unsure about paying for Galaxies. If a couple of months after it's release, TOR won't affect/kill SWG, I may start a subscription for it.

The summer and winter breaks are usually the best time for serious MMOs that require a lot of effort to play. I would, suggest, you give the game a try before people go back to college, or high school.

I already used the trial. I still like the game as it is now, but I won't subscribe until I know it's safe. I won't spend money if I know the game won't last long with TOR in the market at the same time.

Well, unless they change their mind, the quote I posted is the official answer from LucasArts regarding the future of Star Wars Galaxies.

LucasArts senior online exec Tom Nichols has confirmed that the firm’s current plan is to run Star War Galaxies alongside The Old Republic for an indefinite period, and that more content is on the way for the current MMO.

“That’s the plan right now,” Nichols told VG247.com when asked specifically if the two would run together indefinitely.

“I think the market will definitely support that.”

Nichols, speaking at this week’s San Francisco launch of BioWare’s The Old Republic, said LucasArts has actively bolstered Galaxies with extra products this year, and that in-game content is in production.

“We’re still committed to Star Wars Galaxies,” he said. “A couple of things: a demonstration of that commitment includes a recent trading card game that we launched in August. It’s doing very well for us and we have a new expansion pack being planned for that.

“Shortly we’re going to release a new Hoth encounter that recreates that classic battle in the Empire Strikes Back, and that’s exciting content for our Galaxies community, so we’re definitely committed to the product.”

The two games will co-exist thanks to their different natures, said the exec.

“I think they’re fundamentally different games. The Old Republic is very focussed on story and has a totally different time-line from Galaxies.

“Galaxies is very much focused on your career and your profession and other different MMO game mechanics as well, and community: that’s game’s been around for five years, so there’s a very strong community feel to it.”

No date for The Old Republic as yet.[spring 2011]

• 2 months later...
I already used the trial. I still like the game as it is now, but I won't subscribe until I know it's safe. I won't spend money if I know the game won't last long with TOR in the market at the same time.

I don't get that. TOR is at least a couple of moths away. And even if it would be a danger for SWG it wouldn't show until after a year or so.

You could subscribe now and play the game for over a year with no worries.

Back on topic. I think that in 2/3 years they will move SWG to a micro transaction system. I also don't think they would have to dumb it down. I mean the machines they use to run a server now will be less expensive in two years right? Sure they would still need people for the hotfixes but it shouldn't be that bad right?

I don't get that. TOR is at least a couple of moths away. And even if it would be a danger for SWG it wouldn't show until after a year or so.

Not a year, but 3/4 months.

You could subscribe now and play the game for over a year with no worries.

Maybe, but I wouldn't like to spend money in a possible "soon to die" scenario.

Back on topic. I think that in 2/3 years they will move SWG to a micro transaction system.

If it's something like LotRO, I will be happy.

Not a year, but 3/4 months.

Can't agree with you there. After 3/4 months they would shut down 5/6 servers maybe. The game would still run for a long time before finally dying.

But still I don't think that will happen. I like SWG and I know a lot of other people will stay even after TOR comes out.

Archived