Home

A Little Help Here...

ForeverNight

So, I finally got my Ubuntu System running just how I want it to and now I've got KotOR running under WINE. Now, unfortunately, I think I remember that KTool doesn't work so well under WINE -gonna give it a go just in case though- so I'm stuck with K-GFF instead of the nice one that Fred crafted for us. (No offense TK if you still come around here)

Anyway, I still want to play around with the game and maybe even actually make a mod worth releasing :lol: So, however it may be, it appears that I'm going to have to learn myself some K-GFF.

I don't remember how long it was the defacto tool here, except that iirc RedHawke's Ord Mandell (Or was it Mantell?) was created almost entirely through it.

So, does anybody here who's used it remember a few tutorials or whatnot on the breakdown of a .ut* file and how the proper modification of one goes?

I'm currently looking over the links in this sticky [Do You Want to mod KotOR] for anything that can help.

Also, I'm going to need to request some assistance from people in extracting the .2da files I'm going to need to edit properties and the like (If I remember rightly Achilles said something about having to reference a lot of .2da files)

Sorry to drag out this bit of history, but I want to mod and I don't have a windows system up and running right now.

Thanks in advance!

Edit: Damn, just tried out KotOR Tool and, unfortunately, Fred's Wonder Tool didn't help out much here :\

KotOR Tool and WINE fail.

There, now some hapless Googler doesn't have to just run across a thread where Jmac mentioned that he was gonna write it in a different language once Fred gave him permission. :\

Edit2: Found FindRefs, gonna test it later with WINE -both the GUI and CLI and see if either works well.

A kindred soul!

I'm a Mac user, and by using CrossOver Games, a commercialized version of WINE, I am able to run TSL on my Mac. I originally modded TSL on my old Windows which has since expired, and recently I've attempted to begin modding it on the mac.

I've found that through a hodepoge combination of multiple versions of CrossOver Mac, (there is a version for Linux) I can get some modding tools to work quite well. The tools that I've found to work are:

K-GFF

DLGEditor

ERFEdit (needed for compiling modules)

Convert2da

KSE - Kotor Savegame Editor (Not exactly a modding tool, but can be helpful)

Things used for extracting from the .BIFs (FindRefs) have tended not to work for me, I'd like to know if you find a way to get FindRefs to work.

So far I've been successful in some aspects of modding, and I'm beginning work on an actual mod.

Scripting was a problem for a while, but using the built in CMD interface with CrossOver I was able to use nwnnsscomp the old fashioned way, but I'm not sure how WINE on Linux would do that.

All this being said, you are using WINE on Ubuntu and I'm using Crossover Mac, but Crossover is just WINE repackaged and made easier to use, so what works for me might work for you too. Hope any of what I've said can be of some help.

Thanks for telling me that ERF edit worked, I hadn't even thought of using that until you brought it up.

I just symlinked SWKotOR to a directory in my "KotOR Mods" part and now I'm good to go for extracting items to play with. Only problem now is learning what each byte refers to in K-GFF. It's about as un user friendly as you can get and still call it a tool. But it does almost anything :)

I'll play around with WINE some and see if I can get FindRefs working, cause I would love to have access to all the .2da files I'd need.

Anybody have an archive of all the .2da files the game uses?

Ah screw it, I'll just get KotOR Tool working in a VM with XP, that way I don't have to mess around with this crap. Sorry TK, but while I can use this for editing modules, I can't stand having to refer to table A to see what to do with B in order to refer to table C to get effect D. It's a good system, but not when I can get Fred's Utility Knife working within a virtual machine.

Thanks for your help HdVaderII, you pointed out a few things I wouldn't have thought of. I'll still try to get FindRefs to work though, that's gotta be a useful program.

Archived