Home

Why I won't be playing TOR.

VeniVidiVicous

So i've been debating to myself whether to write this thread for a while and a recent post I read in a topic influenced me to express my opinions on TOR, so here goes:

Examine the reasons people dislike TOR. Most couldn't care less if it was a direct port of KotOR to the MMO genre. Just because it IS an MMO they hate it. so KotOR fans have already made up their minds that TOR is not their game regardless of if it works. Look at when it was announced. Before screenshots and anything else KotOR fans were thumbing their nose at it. Anything else just gave them more reasons to hate it.

i can assure you this was not my initial reaction.

After seeing the decieved trailer. I was thinking "OMG, they're going to continue Kotor through this game! This could be truely epic, this could actually be the first mmo that I can actually get into!"

You see I had just finished the first Mass Effect and loved it. It was an immersive experience that I really enjoyed but most importantly (to me) it was the first rpg I had played where I liked the combat system. You see i've always wanted a game with the character customisation of the kotor games without the normal rpg combat system.

So I was thinking something close to the mass effect combat system mixed with the SW:Kotor setting in an mmo might just sell me.

I presumed seeing as it was a mmo and a continuation of kotor that they wouldn't want anything too taxing on pc's in terms of graphics so I assumed they go with the look and style of the previous 2 games. (which I also happen to like)

Then it happened..

I saw a gameplay video. Not only did they not incorporate a new combat system for the mmo genre, they went a completely different direction for the visuals of the game.

The characters in this game look a lot like WoW characters to me. So anychance of me getting immersed into the game (and my potential character or characters) was gone. I always liked how the previous games looked and it genuinely surprised me that they mirrored WoW with the aesthetics here.

"Be a little more open" and quite frankly KotOR fans are WAY too demanding. They DEMAND Revan, They DEMAND Exile. They made so many demands, it was impossible to even come close to meeting their expectations. So KotOR fans are really the ones saying FU to BioWare for not meeting their impossible standards.

As far as Revan and Exile goes I knew this was going to be based around 300 years after TSL so I assumed they be dead and not too relevant to the player's experience in this game.

There are a few threads on canon/storylines within TOR and how they relate to the previous installments so I won't touch on it too much here.

I will say this though when I first heard about this I raced to my computer to find out more about this game but i've already found out enough about this game to know it won't be my cup of tea.

As a closing point, I think this game truely had the potential to break through a lot of the things that prevent certain gamers from playing mmo's. Unfortunatly this game will not be that genre-altering title I was hoping for. :(

If any of ye have different reasons for wanting to (or not wanting to) play the game i'd be intrested to hear it?

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't have any problems with either the combat system or the visuals. The combat system actually looks refreshing opposed to the combat in certain RPG's/MMO's I've seen or played. And maybe the game could've looked better in my opinion, I understand why they're going for this style and am not too bothered with it.

The key is to look at it as an MMO set in the Star Wars universe at its core. If either of the two don't appeal to you, you shouldn't play the game. Gameplay, of course, is going to be the next step in deciding if you like this game, but not much has been shown when it comes to gameplay to rate it at this point, I think.

The important thing to do is to separate the game from singleplayer RPG's BioWare produced, exactly because it is an MMO. And as much as the link between TOR and KotOR is being made, TOR is still very much a standalone game who only hints at the KotOR series.

I, for one, even if I'd still rather have a third KotOR game, am at this point still interested in playing the game. Because I've always wanted to play a Star Wars MMO (Galaxies being not appealing enough to me) and because it gives story an important place in the game. I may not like the way they're going with their copying of the Clone Wars, but it gives me the chance to be one character of a million characters who walk around the Star Wars galaxy, fighting those iconic elements. So if I have to wear Clone Trooper armor to do it, I think I will. :)

I don't have any problems with either the combat system or the visuals. The combat system actually looks refreshing opposed to the combat in certain RPG's/MMO's I've seen or played. And maybe the game could've looked better in my opinion, I understand why they're going for this style and am not too bothered with it.

I'm sorry but the combat looks far to similar to other mmo games for me to consider it something different. The visual style they went for is VERY similar to WoW imo.

The key is to look at it as an MMO set in the Star Wars universe at its core. If either of the two don't appeal to you, you shouldn't play the game. Gameplay, of course, is going to be the next step in deciding if you like this game, but not much has been shown when it comes to gameplay to rate it at this point, I think.

An mmo set in the SW universe does really appeal to me. That's why i'm writing this.

Enough of the gameplay has been shown for me to know it's your standard mmo combat system.

The important thing to do is to separate the game from singleplayer RPG's BioWare produced, exactly because it is an MMO. And as much as the link between TOR and KotOR is being made, TOR is still very much a standalone game who only hints at the KotOR series.

I, for one, even if I'd still rather have a third KotOR game, am at this point still interested in playing the game. Because I've always wanted to play a Star Wars MMO (Galaxies being not appealing enough to me) and because it gives story an important place in the game. I may not like the way they're going with their copying of the Clone Wars, but it gives me the chance to be one character of a million characters who walk around the Star Wars galaxy, fighting those iconic elements. So if I have to wear Clone Trooper armor to do it, I think I will. :)

I agree that thus mmo having a heavier emphasis on story and dialog does appeal to me a great deal. But the fact it'll look like WoW/Clone Wars means that I wouldn't be able to take my character seriously.

Blizzard’s Art department for Warcraft I/II/III/WoW has been very distinct over the past 10 years. Over sized hands and feet, bright colors, and over sized weapons. Even the towns and villages are colored with a bright color palette. I have yet to see an MMO pull off the ultra realistic look. SOE tried with EQ2 but I think that game looked terrible. Solo player games like Mass Effect and Splinter Cell look awesome, but these games are focused on much smaller levels and are solo based so there are fewer objects to render.

IMO I think Bioware did very well to come up a look that is all their own. A good mix of realistic models and colors with a touch of anima. Plus, we got lots of boobs! If I had to compare the look to another MMO to TOR I would say it looks the most like City of Heroes.

I’m not sure what in game video you saw, but I would ask you watch this one (again). If you still don’t like the direction the Bioware art team went after watching this video I guess there is no changing your mind. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbtWG_mApjA&feature=fvsr

~ Sith Lord Drew

But the fact it'll look like WoW/Clone Wars means that I wouldn't be able to take my character seriously.

I don't understand how the cartoon look prevents you from taking your character seriously, but I think it's important to understand the reason behind their choice for the cartoony look.

Blizzard’s Art department for Warcraft I/II/III/WoW has been very distinct over the past 10 years. Over sized hands and feet, bright colors, and over sized weapons. Even the towns and villages are colored with a bright color palette. I have yet to see an MMO pull off the ultra realistic look. SOE tried with EQ2 but I think that game looked terrible. Solo player games like Mass Effect and Splinter Cell look awesome, but these games are focused on much smaller levels and are solo based so there are fewer objects to render.

True, it is much easier to make single player games look better.

However I think TOR's characters look more similar (in-game) to WoW than previous Kotor characters, which I think is a bad thing.

IMO I think Bioware did very well to come up a look that is all their own. A good mix of realistic models and colors with a touch of anima. Plus, we got lots of boobs! If I had to compare the look to another MMO to TOR I would say it looks the most like City of Heroes.

Well City of Heroes is a tongue-in-cheek super hero game and while that works for that type of game I don't see how it helps a heavily story driven SW game.

I will admit, i HATE anime. I just find that a lot of those things (Clone warriors or troopers or whatever it's called being a perfect example) are too cartoony for me to get into.

I’m not sure what in game video you saw, but I would ask you watch this one (again). If you still don’t like the direction the Bioware art team went after watching this video I guess there is no changing your mind. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbtWG_mApjA&feature=fvsr

~ Sith Lord Drew

Watched it. I have seen it before.

On second watch I must say I still don't like the way it looks, the characters especially.

Its called personal taste... I cant understand why the Clone wars got the green light to be even made, never mind being a Hit TV show in several countries, Its just down to what I think is Star Wars, and what I think is cool. It's an opinion. For example (It could well be my age and upbringing) But to me, any cartoon, whether it be carebears or Manga is for kids, I cant take it as cool, but some people would engage in a fistfight with me over it.

I think Star Wars: Tales of the Jedi: Redemption, is better than a New Hope, the Phantom menace and the Clone Wars... Other people would just say its crap EU, unrelated to G-canon. The only explanation is, is that its my preference.

If I find something crap or unlike Star Wars, I wont take it seriously, because I don't think its cool, very simple.

And regarding understanding the reasons for its appearance and game style, anyone with half a brain knows that Player base size and revenue is the number one factor in game development, so make it appeal to kids, casuals and adults, make it so you have to pay for content, Bioware rich.

What I want to know is why people get chastised for airing there views and called bitch's and haters, yet people who blindly except everything George releases as the word of God whether they secretly hate it or not, don't even get questioned... except by me lol.

Its not hating its wanting the best from a product you have investment in.

each to their own guys, everyone is different . I personally dont like the direction they have gone with for this game, so i oviously wont be playing it. But it eventually come down to what type of gamer you are , simple as that :)

Its called personal taste... I cant understand why the Clone wars got the green light to be even made, never mind being a Hit TV show in several countries, Its just down to what I think is Star Wars, and what I think is cool. It's an opinion. For example (It could well be my age and upbringing) But to me, any cartoon, whether it be carebears or Manga is for kids, I cant take it as cool, but some people would engage in a fistfight with me over it.

I think Star Wars: Tales of the Jedi: Redemption, is better than a New Hope, the Phantom menace and the Clone Wars... Other people would just say its crap EU, unrelated to G-canon. The only explanation is, is that its my preference.

If I find something crap or unlike Star Wars, I wont take it seriously, because I don't think its cool, very simple.

And regarding understanding the reasons for its appearance and game style, anyone with half a brain knows that Player base size and revenue is the number one factor in game development, so make it appeal to kids, casuals and adults, make it so you have to pay for content, Bioware rich.

What I want to know is why people get chastised for airing there views and called bitch's and haters, yet people who blindly except everything George releases as the word of God whether they secretly hate it or not, don't even get questioned... except by me lol.

Its not hating its wanting the best from a product you have investment in.

I fully agree with you.

I do think that basing the visuals on the original games could still appeal to casual fans though, I think with a lot of SW stuff they underestimate young people.

each to their own guys, everyone is different . I personally dont like the direction they have gone with for this game, so i oviously wont be playing it. But it eventually come down to what type of gamer you are , simple as that :)

Wise words there.

That's true.

My main point though is that with the cartoony graphics they're alienating me (someone who's already a fan of their series) from their mmo.

Fair enough. But the fact is they must sell the game (which is an MMO and not a SP game) to a much broader audience, otherwise it won't pay all the investment (and keep the game running for a long time).

Fair enough. But the fact is they must sell the game (which is an MMO and not a SP game) to a much broader audience, otherwise it won't pay all the investment (and keep the game running for a long time).

Isn't it possible that it would stand out in the mmo market and appeal to that same broad audience without the cartoony visuals?

Wouldn't the graphics get old faster? Yes.

You do know that SW:Galaxies (for example) update the graphics every once in a while.

True, if they wanted it to look realistic it would get old quickly but what if they made the characters look like the ones in Kotor 1 & 2.. That (imo) is an improvement compared to the look they are going for.

True, if they wanted it to look realistic it would get old quickly but what if they made the characters look like the ones in Kotor 1 & 2.. That (imo) is an improvement compared to the look they are going for.

Ans isn't the KotOR look somewhat realistic?

Ans isn't the KotOR look somewhat realistic?

It is. I'm not on making a more realistic look though, I'm on about using the EXACT same look the last Kotor game had.

I think it would look better, be just as easy to run and in a way it would be cool for the fans of the old series

It is. I'm not on making a more realistic look though, I'm on about using the EXACT same look the last Kotor game had.

I think it would look better, be just as easy to run and in a way it would be cool for the fans of the old series

It would look better for how long? The cartoon look has a good reason to exist, and I understand it perfectly. And how can this game survive with just KotOR fans?

It would look better for how long? The cartoon look has a good reason to exist, and I understand it perfectly. And how can this game survive with just KotOR fans?

We misunderstand each other slightly.

I mean that the original look would permanently look better to cartoon graphics. (imo)

I'm not saying the mmo would survive on just kotor fans i'm just saying if they stuck with the original look they'd probably get more kotor fans playing the game. (like me) :)

I won't be playing it because it is an MMO. Now, I don't have anything against MMOs, I have something against buying a game for $30 then having to pay for the game all over again every month. That's why I will NEVER in my life play WoW. If they decide to have it free every month, I will definitely pick it up. If it's a low cost, like Runescape, then I'll consider it. I have bills to pay so I just can't afford to buy a game over and over again every month.

Archived