Home

Why I won't be playing TOR.

VeniVidiVicous

I'm not saying the mmo would survive on just kotor fans i'm just saying if they stuck with the original look they'd probably get more kotor fans playing the game. (like me) :)

But they can't think only on KotOR fans. They must do everything they can to ensure the game will last, and cartoon graphics is one way to accomplish that.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply
But they can't think only on KotOR fans. They must do everything they can to ensure the game will last, and cartoon graphics is one way to accomplish that.

I honestly don't see how cartoon graphic accomplishes that.

Where's this written rule that mmos have to have cartoon graphics to get people into their product?

If you're refering to casual gamers or WoW players, i'll say this:

I think the more this game has in common with WoW the less intresting it'll be to WoW players. Why you might ask? Well if it's similar in almost everyway why play TOR over WoW?

As for casual gamers something else will draw their attention away from this game around 3-12 months after it's release.

I've written this before. Here:

We're going over the same stuff here..

When you pointed out that they age better I responded that what you say is true but I don't think it suits the theme and detracts from the game itself.

What do you define as "cartoon graphics"?

To me, "cartoon graphics" is The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker, which was a surprising success. So if they can pull of "cartoon graphics" to make a good game, why not do so?

I think there's some kind of misconception here that cartoony graphics are a key element to a mmo game being succsesful.

Basically I think a game they released 7 years ago had visuals that suited this type of game very well.

I think they're shooting themselves in the foot trying to make it look like WoW.

When you pointed out that they age better I responded that what you say is true but I don't think it suits the theme and detracts from the game itself.

But some don't think that. And just because they've bet on a cartoon look, doesn't mean they are trying to copy WoW.

just because they've bet on a cartoon look, doesn't mean they are trying to copy WoW.

I'm sorry man but i'm going to have to disagree with you here.

Bioware can lie to themselves (or the consumer) if they want and call it "Stylised Realism" but it's nothing more than mimicing WoW.

I won't be playing it because it is an MMO. Now, I don't have anything against MMOs, I have something against buying a game for $30 then having to pay for the game all over again every month. That's why I will NEVER in my life play WoW. If they decide to have it free every month, I will definitely pick it up. If it's a low cost, like Runescape, then I'll consider it. I have bills to pay so I just can't afford to buy a game over and over again every month.

People use to say the same thing about cable TV. Today I spend $90 a month for cable TV. I spend $12 for my WoW account. I easily spend over twice as much time playing WoW then I do watching TV. To me, even with the month fee, MMOs are a much better deal. They are very cheap entertainment.

~Sith Lord Drew

What? Just because of the stylised look? Please... :rolleyes:

Don't roll your eyes at me man! :lol:

You know I have a point here. It's the same trap a lot of mmos fall into.

A company takes a franchise, makes an mmo, base the combat/graphics on WoW and then are amazed when their mmo flops.

Coincidence?? :raise:

Don't roll your eyes at me man! :lol:

You know I have a point here. It's the same trap a lot of mmos fall into.

A company takes a franchise, makes an mmo, base the combat/graphics on WoW and then are amazed when their mmo flops.

Coincidence?? :raise:

Do you have a source that says the combat and graphics are based on WoW? There were many games before WoW with stylised graphics. As for the combat, I don't see where it is related to WoW. So yes, I roll my eyes at what you said.

Cartoon Graphics don't age better, they were just low quality to begin with lol

Exactly what i've been trying to explain.

Do you have a source that says the combat and graphics are based on WoW?

Well obviously Bioware didn't say "We just wanted to copy WoW's system", watch any of those gameplay videos it's WoW with lightsabers.

There were many games before WoW with stylised graphics.

So?

As for the combat, I don't see where it is related to WoW. So yes, I roll my eyes at what you said.

Watch a gameplay video and tell me in all honesty you'd think of World of Warcraft when looking at the combat.

Exactly what i've been trying to explain.

No need. Everyone knows that. Low system requirements is another factor that helps bringing more people to the game.

Well obviously Bioware didn't say "We just wanted to copy WoW's system", watch any of those gameplay videos it's WoW with lightsabers.

I don't think it is.

So?

So, it's not based on WoW. It's an option. Stylised or realistic graphics. They chose stylised, deal with it. There are many games with stylised graphics, and that doesn't make it a copy of WoW.

Watch a gameplay video and tell me in all honesty you'd think of World of Warcraft when looking at the combat.

In all honesty, It's not WoW combat. If you think it is, well, whatever...

What do you define as "cartoon graphics"?

Personally, for me, its the 'stylized realism'. The first non-TOR game that comes to mind is Team Fortress 2. And, well the stylizing makes sense with the game becauses its meant to be a funny, not serious game. But with TOR, from what we've seen, the only reason I've seen for their stylizing is that it lasts longer, which I tend to agree with. But I also see it as a way to save space, make textures that aren't as complex as, say, Mass Effect or Crysis.

Personally, for me, its the 'stylized realism'. The first non-TOR game that comes to mind is Team Fortress 2. And, well the stylizing makes sense with the game becauses its meant to be a funny, not serious game. But with TOR, from what we've seen, the only reason I've seen for their stylizing is that it lasts longer, which I tend to agree with. But I also see it as a way to save space, make textures that aren't as complex as, say, Mass Effect or Crysis.

Exactly.

No need. Everyone knows that. Low system requirements is another factor that helps bringing more people to the game.

Yes, I agree lower system requirements are a bonus. We seem to be disagreeing on what they could have done to maintain those same requirements.

I don't think it is.

Fair enough

So, it's not based on WoW. It's an option. Stylised or realistic graphics. They chose stylised, deal with it. There are many games with stylised graphics, and that doesn't make it a copy of WoW.

I'll just have to deal with it then... :eek:

In all honesty, It's not WoW combat. If you think it is, well, whatever...

I stand by my opinion. I will say though, even though we seem to be disagreeing a lot I am enjoying actually getting to talk about this. :)

Personally, for me, its the 'stylized realism'. The first non-TOR game that comes to mind is Team Fortress 2. And, well the stylizing makes sense with the game becauses its meant to be a funny, not serious game.

When you have a dialog heavy game that you are supposed to take a bit seriously can you see how that can put people off?

When you have a dialog heavy game that you are supposed to take a bit seriously can you see how that can put people off?

Some of the best stories I have ever seen told are cartoons. They don't put me off. But that's just me. Just to name a few:

Monsters Inc.

Batman Mask of the Phantasm

Appleseed ExMachina

How to Train your Dragon

Incredibles

~ Sith Lord Drew

Some of the best stories I have ever seen told are cartoons. They don't put me off. But that's just me. Just to name a few:

Monsters Inc.

Batman Mask of the Phantasm

Appleseed ExMachina

How to Train your Dragon

Incredibles

~ Sith Lord Drew

Fair enough but do you see my point?

A good story is a good story, In a video game though the visuals of the game help set an atmosphere. To have as much dialog as they're going to have and drive the dialog it just seems like a big contrast to have cartoon characters debating the semantics of how the force should be used (for example) seems to kill the immersion a bit.

You should have accredited the original quotes to me BTW.

I did qualify my statements with "most" If that's not you, then it's not you.

Stylized graphics, Well I tend to really like the very artistic design of the landscapes and environment. There are a few other good reasons for it. Lower graphics requirements. Could you see a game appealing to the masses that only a few have rigs capable of running?

Of course you bring up KotOR's graphics. They had like 30 total faces... Mass Effect, had very customizable faces, but again, the graphics requirement are double that of WoW. Not saying the graphics look like WoW, actually those graphics were boring. BUT I could see the reason for it.

I look at the in game footage, and quite frankly it looks better than KotOR, but less than ME.

And quite frankly I played a few games that used "Cell Shaded" and had very good stories as well. Then there's all the Graphic Novels out there that have artistic styling. Then there's movies like Sin City that also use stylized realism.

I have to disagree. Just because a movie is shot using live action does not make it more serious over a cartoon. IMO you can get the same attachment to a character when they love, cry, or are in pain no matter if they are an actor, or depicted as a cartoon.

~Sith Lord Drew

You should have accredited the original quotes to me BTW.

I was afraid you'd freak out at me if I used your name seeing as I used them to start a new thread as opposed to replying within that thread.

Stylized graphics, Well I tend to really like the very artistic design of the landscapes and environment. There are a few other good reasons for it. Lower graphics requirements. Could you see a game appealing to the masses that only a few have rigs capable of running?

Don't get me wrong, I think the scenery looks cool enough. I just really hate how the characters look.

It's almost like placing Clone Wars Yoda into one of the films if you know what I mean?

I have to disagree. Just because a movie is shot using live action does not make it more serious over a cartoon. IMO you can get the same attachment to a character when they love, cry, or are in pain no matter if they are an actor, or depicted as a cartoon.

~Sith Lord Drew

I suppose that's where we differ a bit.

It's not so much that the characters are cartoonish, it's that it's cartoonish characters in a serious enough SW game. I just can't see me taking my character seriously.

My general experience is: Star Wars + Kid's Animation/Manga = :migraine:

They just don't mix well for me.

Oh. Sorry then. ;)

No problem. :lol:

Archived