Home

Why I won't be playing TOR.

VeniVidiVicous

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So you prefer lightsabers that didn't connect, repeated flat landscapes, narrowly defined walking areas, very small worlds, expressionless faces, and a total of 30 faces for the entire game, to TOR? Then there's not much point in discussion is there. You won't be swayed.

So you prefer lightsabers that didn't connect, repeated flat landscapes, narrowly defined walking areas, very small worlds, expressionless faces, and a total of 30 faces for the entire game, to TOR? Then there's not much point in discussion is there. You won't be swayed.

As i've stated many times now, it's the cartoony characters that i'm not into.

All of the things you just mentioned are not relevant to the point I was trying to make.

Its ok Veni ...." You are not alone, I am here with you " haha i know exactly what you mean buddy - And so does ALEXRD lol . It looks SILLY the way they have created it all, unless your playing a game thats based on a cartoon show / movie, e.g Naruto or Dragon Ball Z.

I though one of the main points of the game was to try and make it look as realistic as possible unless thats the look they purposly are going for. I will say the movies look so amazing though ) :) but , theres nothing we can do to change it.

And btw The Incredibles movie was awwssoommee, im still waiting for the next one :)

As i've stated many times now, it's the cartoony characters that i'm not into.

All of the things you just mentioned are not relevant to the point I was trying to make.

The "cartoony" characters in my opinion look better than the characters in KotOR(IMHO). But if you want a more realistic look you might look at SWG. And you did ask which looked better suited to an SW MMO. And quite frankly I think the realistic combat helps immersion better than early production cartoon looks detract from it. They have gotten a bit better.

ss_20091113_imperialagent02_full.jpg

This.

KotOR (one and two) will not hold a graphical candle to SW:TOR. I'm with Tommycat and Alexrd here. SW:TOR will be the first game I'll be paying a monthly sub for due to what I've seen while I've been following the game (the guild I'm in has also contributed to my hype).

I loved of Veni chose the most earliest screenshot as an example of the graphics of SW:TOR (that have been overhauled on many occasions and most likely will several more times before we reach launch). You're pretty dead-set, Veni, so I don't quite see the point of your debating the game at all. :confused:

WoW may be considering moving to a F2P style based on what they're seeing with Turbine's and other MMOs' numbers, so that may not be completely out of the question for SW:TOR. :¬:

I've played most of the current major MMO's out there with the exception of Everquest. Out of all of them it is well known that the most successful is WoW, and the reason for that is that clearly Blizzard has done a good number of things right.

For me, the graphics are not a problem, but then I am a "veteran" MMO player and as such probably used to it. At the same time I'm sure Bioware and LucasArts considered many different things before they chose a presentation style including what they thought would work, and the success or lack thereof of their predecessors in the MMO genre. If you don't like it ya don't like and there's little I can do I'm sure to persuade you otherwise.

I could say the same thing regarding the combat system. Bioware and LA had to look at something they thought would work. WoW was not the first game to use the combat system it uses nor will it be the last. What I think will make TOR fun are the unique combat abilities available in the Star Wars universe including lightsaber combat, the bounty hunter jetpack, the Force etc...At the same time the same could be said for WoW as well but several of the abilities in WoW are very similar to D&D and other rpgs...

As for the subscription...well it is a necessary evil. Software sales alone are not enough to maintain servers, pay support staff, pay developers and whatnot especially over an extended period of time. Even Free to play games such as DDO have a subscription system available and microtransactions. The expenses of maintaining and MMO are massive and while paying is unattractive to some there are many that fail to understand why they subscription system is there. (not saying its anyone here, but I've run across plenty.)

As of right now, the only thing that will prevent me from playing the game past the first month will be how much money I have to pay to play it. As a rule, I do not play games with monthly subscriptions. I've already bought the game, why should I have to pay more, just to play it?

Everything about TOR, so far, has enthralled me, every step of the way. I will say one thing I do not like, though- the HUD we've seen so far in the gameplay videos. However, that can most likely be altered through Textmod or something like that, so it's not *that* huge of an issue.

As of right now, the only thing that will prevent me from playing the game past the first month will be how much money I have to pay to play it. As a rule, I do not play games with monthly subscriptions. I've already bought the game, why should I have to pay more, just to play it?

So the company can keep the servers up and pay their employees to make updates and expansions maybe?

So the company can keep the servers up and pay their employees to make updates and expansions maybe?

QFT...as I stated previously maintenance over time of an MMO including hardware upgrades, software, development staff, admins, account management customer service etc...costs money that cannot be made merely off software alone particularly if the game continues to exist for years after its initial release (a la WoW). That money is certainly not pure profit.

Not to mention many games with monthly fees ALSO add FREE* content. You get MORE content than you would from a simple single player game. It may be as simple as events, and equipment, or as in the case of SWG completely NEW content at no additional charge.

Imagine how much you would have to pay if BioWare released TOR as 8 single player games. In order to get the whole game with 8 class stories you would have to pay $480. For HALF that you have a year of play(assuming $60 for the game, and $15/month), the whole game, multi-player, and far more content than they could package into a multi-DVD pack. Even as little content as SWG has, it's more content than any SP game I played. And WoW has TONS more(I just don't like swords and boards).

Imagine if KotORII could have had that kind of freedom to add content. We wouldn't have had the crappy ending that left you going "um... is that it?" By their very nature an MMO has to keep you WANTING to play. So continuing to add content becomes necessary.

*free meaning without a second purchase, as the monthly fee covers that.

Its ok Veni ...." You are not alone, I am here with you " haha i know exactly what you mean buddy - And so does ALEXRD lol . It looks SILLY the way they have created it all, unless your playing a game thats based on a cartoon show / movie, e.g Naruto or Dragon Ball Z.

Thanks for being here for me. :lol:

Your Dragon Ball Z anology perfectly explains where i'm coming from.

I though one of the main points of the game was to try and make it look as realistic as possible unless thats the look they purposly are going for. I will say the movies look so amazing though ) :) but , theres nothing we can do to change it.

I agree with you on the two trailers, I think they look cool. I'm just not as blown away by how the actual game looks.

KotOR (one and two) will not hold a graphical candle to SW:TOR. I'm with Tommycat and Alexrd here. SW:TOR will be the first game I'll be paying a monthly sub for due to what I've seen while I've been following the game (the guild I'm in has also contributed to my hype).

TSl came out 6 years ago, of course this game that's coming out late next year should be graphically better. I was argueing that the style is worse.

I loved of Veni chose the most earliest screenshot as an example of the graphics of SW:TOR (that have been overhauled on many occasions and most likely will several more times before we reach launch). You're pretty dead-set, Veni, so I don't quite see the point of your debating the game at all. :confused:

Honestly, I googled "tor jedi gameplay footage" and "TSL jedi gameplay footage" and those were the first few images that I saw.

I'm debating because i think that this game could be unbelieveably good but it looks like Bioware are missing a good oppourtunity here.

WoW may be considering moving to a F2P style based on what they're seeing with Turbine's and other MMOs' numbers, so that may not be completely out of the question for SW:TOR. :¬:

I doubt Bioware will make it F2P. If Blizzard are clever they'll do this close to the release date of TOR.

The "cartoony" characters in my opinion look better than the characters in KotOR(IMHO). But if you want a more realistic look you might look at SWG. And you did ask which looked better suited to an SW MMO. And quite frankly I think the realistic combat helps immersion better than early production cartoon looks detract from it. They have gotten a bit better.

I agree with you on the combat helping immersion. I will say this though, don't you think it's odd that the older SW mmo will have a more realistic look?

So, you don't like the cartoon look and you think cartoons are for kids. We can't do anything.

We? You work for Bioware?? :raise:

I'm just stating my opinions man. :)

Imagine if KotORII could have had that kind of freedom to add content. We wouldn't have had the crappy ending that left you going "um... is that it?" By their very nature an MMO has to keep you WANTING to play. So continuing to add content becomes necessary.

You do know that Lucas Arts forced Obsidian to rush the release of TSL yeah?

I like the new look of the Old Republic era. Minus the clone armor for Republic troops. Other than that, I think this game is going to be amazing, graphics included. I will be playing, even if I didn't like the graphics as much as previous games. Honestly, seeing the post with a TSL pic and a TOR pic next to each other, I am even more excited and seriously can't wait for this game to be released!

Obsidian also planned poorly for the time they had, which they admitted.

I didn't know that, thanks for the info.

I like the new look of the Old Republic era. Minus the clone armor for Republic troops. Other than that, I think this game is going to be amazing, graphics included. I will be playing, even if I didn't like the graphics as much as previous games. Honestly, seeing the post with a TSL pic and a TOR pic next to each other, I am even more excited and seriously can't wait for this game to be released!

In a lot of ways I think they're doing the right thing. It just dosen't look different enough from the other mmo's for me to be intrested.

In a lot of ways I think they're doing the right thing. It just dosen't look different enough from the other mmo's for me to be intrested.

Well, it's difficult to do something different I guess. That goes for more genres.

I once named Guild Wars that did stuff differently, but even they had a static fight system, skills leveling, armor crafting and the standard stuff.

Maybe it's not the 'core' that's different, but merely the stuff Bioware is doing with that core gameplay. Peronalised transportation, fully voiced over game, cover system, fast-paced action (I was VERY pleased with the last demo video. It showed the healer character was able to do some Melee work while healing, the smuggler was too. WoW is VERY static when it comes to do this. As a caster you stand and spam 1-8 on your keybord).

The style, I still don't know. Too much prequel-looking for me. But I felt that way about TSL as well, with the modern robes and such. Maybe it'll come in time.

Well, it's difficult to do something different I guess. That goes for more genres.

I once named Guild Wars that did stuff differently, but even they had a static fight system, skills leveling, armor crafting and the standard stuff.

I only recently discovered the system for pre-cu SWG of building your character. It is quite different to other mmo's and was quite impressed by it.

There are ways to do things differently but a lot of companies don't want to risk too much with their releases I suppose.

Maybe it's not the 'core' that's different, but merely the stuff Bioware is doing with that core gameplay. Peronalised transportation, fully voiced over game, cover system, fast-paced action (I was VERY pleased with the last demo video. It showed the healer character was able to do some Melee work while healing, the smuggler was too. WoW is VERY static when it comes to do this. As a caster you stand and spam 1-8 on your keybord).

I agree that WoW is an incredibly unintuitive combat experience, hopefully the more Bioware realise this the more they'll try to make their combat that much better. As it stands right now.. it's still kind of lacking imo.

The style, I still don't know. Too much prequel-looking for me. But I felt that way about TSL as well, with the modern robes and such. Maybe it'll come in time.

Well the robe thing in TSL was good i thought, I never liked the jedi/sith clothing in kotor 1, it just looked a bit of a mess.

I hope the more they expand the game the more intuitive the combat gets and more based on realism the character graphics get.

• 2 weeks later...

On topic, I was not, and still am not happy that SW:TOR is a MMO, I'm a single player gamer by nature. However I don't see the point on judging the game now, if once it is release there are free 7 day trials and what not, I really don't see the point in having an attitude which is "I'm not going to play that" without having at least played a free demo. I for one despite by sceptical will but this scepticism asside and give any free demo's a chance. I don't like MMO's but if anything was going to get me to play one it would be Star Wars...

j7's humble 2 cents.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived