Home

Graphics Card Help

Neither do I. I thought that I'd throw that out there, though.

Nvidia is going to introduce a new series of low-to-mid-line DX11 cards before too long, so I believe that prices on older Nvidia DX10 cards (especially the G92 models like the 9800/GTS 250) are about to tank.

if you have a micro center nearby check them out, I picked up a BFGtech GeForce GT220 for ~$60 (I think it was like 64 after tax or something like that) I have no complaints about it and you've gotta love their warranties. Especially since they're still gonna honor them despite exiting the GPU market, iirc.

Speaking about PSU's and their relation to GPU's...

My Dell XPS410 desktop is starting to approach elderlyness. I purchased a new PSU and a GTS 250 about a year ago for it, after the death of my 7900gs VRAM. These sat around doing nothing (and are now in my HTPC) after realizing that Dell loves proprietary design PSU.

The PSU that came stock will do ~375w. I would much rather have around 500w and then run a better GPU on this PC (as Q noted a few posts earlier, the BFG 210 I have now is low grade, like its pal the 220).

Yes, I have looked around, but it just seems that decent PSU options for this brick are hard to come by. Anyone got a source for Dell sized PSUs?

It will not fit... the shape and size are wrong... I feel that I could have used it, but it would have fit poorly and I wasn't really sure how to secure it. It is not a standard ATX psu... it is actually a BTX mobo, which is another reason I will never buy another pre-built.

Everywhere online, people say that it takes a standard ATX PSU. Is the housing too big, or something?

It is waaay to big. I have done that same search, found the same results, which led to the purchase. After the fact, I went back to Dell tech and bitched, which led to the link I was looking for (and that should have been easier to find).

Bottom line, it would probably be workable, but I cannot mount it securely as nothing lines up correctly. I would either need an adapter or customize one, which would still leave me needing to mod my case for the fan to blow through a hole and not a wall :rolleyes:

I would like to beef up this PC's GPU from the 210 512mb that is in there now... a decent card, but it cannot handle ME2 nearly as well as I would like.

Archived