Home

America's Independence Day

mimartin

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
As the head of Britain's empire, though, it was only natural (and right) he would be the main focus of the litany of complaints/charges.
Plus it made more sense. When the war for independence was over, they still wanted to trade with Great Britain. It was more prudent to go after the King than to further alienate trade partners, friends and family.

The founding fathers were brilliant men, but more importantly they had common sense.

I think they got some Texas textbooks. :xp:

Couldn't be. Texas wasn't mentioned once, nor the Alamo.

interesting side note.. My girlfriend a native of AZ said they didn't have an Arizona History class...

At any rate, whether Parliment or King George made the rules, the founding fathers were opposed to rule by King George. They made specific mention of rule by King George several times. So the rules they opposed MAY have been made by Parliment, it WAS King George they opposed.

Unfortunately, those same brilliant men today are derided as irrelevant racists, misogynists, etc... by people w/much less common sense.
That is because most people today only look at the Founding Fathers history in terms in which they understand. They do not take into account that the world was a much different place then. I am in no way implying that slavery, racism or sexism was right, just that that was a much different time. Empathy is something I believe is sorely missing in today’s society.

Don’t judge a man until you walked a mile in his shoes[/Quote]

Who is teaching my history class? Well, she has a phd in colonial history, went to priceton for grad school, and was a college proffessor.

I've been homeschooled since third grade [/Quote]

(Sorry if you see this as editing this post, but I am no longer homeschooled.

I would not have considered the addition a problem had you not edited the part that I edited. Do not edit what a moderator has edited or added. Should you have a problem with it contact the moderator or another member of the staff.

Happy holiday to all. We, along with the rest of the world, may be in the time of trouble and uncertainty, but all of us as Americans need to realize that America is a nation of overcoming the impossible. Our country was founded by some of the smartest people that have ever lived, and their values are still instilled in our daily lives. Even though many of us have lost faith in our country's government due to disagreement of policy or whatever the reason(s), we must all remember that the will of the American people, for the greater good, as seen time and time again, will always prevail.

For those that are not Americans, I implore everyone to take a closer look at America. While I do not claim to believe that everyone has a negative view of America, I know that some do. Always remember that America has always been a country of its people rather than its government, and I hope that everyone who looks at America sees the people before the government. I do not want people to view America as a group of people who are power-hungry or greedy (even though I think that this view is skewed by many around the world). The overwhelming majority of us just want to live our lives in peace and prosperity which are the most basic wishes of all humans who are good. I have promised myself, today, that I will no longer look at countries that "hate" us with such disgust as I have in the past. It gets me nowhere.

America, to me, is made up of some of the most amazing ideas coming together from some of the greatest thinkers in history. America has always been a place of generosity and freedom and even in the time of uncertainty, these two values remain. I feel that if I had to describe America in one word...it would be "potential." America provides people with the potential to succeed, to choose their path, to do what they want to do. This potential is not only given to the people who inherit it at birth, but also those who travel to this great country.

Thank you to all the members of armed forces both home and abroad who protect this freedom and potential to be great.

Happy Independence Day to all!

p.s. sorry for the book! :p

Who is teaching my history class? Well, she has a phd in colonial history, went to priceton for grad school, and was a college proffessor.
I'll be fascinated to learn who her advisor for her PhD was. It's possible that the professors I studied under when I was working on my Master's in history of medicine at Ohio State know who he or she is.

I'd also like to clarify that porphyria does not cause gout, although he may have had gout along with the porphyria.

Actually, I have. I was just listing people off the top of my head.

Sorry, I've just reread my post and realised it could come across as a bit snarky. I didn't mean for that, only to say that Locke and Paine are pretty dashed important.

Yes, because it was actually Paine who inspired many ideas for the declaration. It was Montisquie and Voltaire who inspired our constitution. Because if you read common sense you will find that many phrases are very similar to the declaration.

There is also some controversy wether independance day should be on July 2 instead of 4th. Because it was finished signing on the 2 but wasn't fully revised until two days later.

Sorry, I've just reread my post and realised it could come across as a bit snarky. I didn't mean for that, only to say that Locke and Paine are pretty dashed important.

It's okay. No harm done. :)

I do feel kind of sorry for Paine, though. He was a hard-core deist, and people shunned and ridiculed him because they thought he was advocating atheism. Not that anything is wrong with either religion, but you do have to feel sorry for him.

Archived