Home

Snakes of Avalon: Special Edition in July!

Ascovel

Coming later this July...

(This BBCode requires its accompanying plugin to work properly.)

Snakes of Avalon is a traditional point & click adventure game which I co-designed, done some graphics for, and written all the dialogs and code.

I hope you'll find the above video preview intriguing. Full version will be available in a matter of weeks.

Yes I must play that and Time Gentlemen Please since I heard they're awesome... (though I'm not in the mood for adventure games atm, when I am in the future it's good to know that there are some free/cheap ones to play)

My favourite fan adventure that I've played is still Scurvyliver's That Night Before (http://scurvy.adventuredevelopers.com/tnb.html) which I should go back and play again. It has a lot of LucasArts references too.

Ascoval: what's with the name? Is it revealed in the game or can you tell us about the name now?

Thanks very much for the interest, guys! And to Haggis for recommending Snakes so strongly after playing a rough (and a very rough) version!

AscovEl: what's with the name? Is it revealed in the game or can you tell us about the name now?

Why do you ask about the name? It's a very fine name I think. :)

Seriously, I can tell a bit about the game's plot and its style if you wish, but I don't want to reveal the meaning of the title, of the fish, or any other strange things happening, because that would spoil the playing experience later.

It does look interesting. A strong atmosphere -- and the whole thing is fully voiced?

No, it's not fully voiced. While professional voice-overs add a lot of value, they neither bring new players to a game, nor it is easy to do them. We're working on Snakes for free, in our spare time, and it's an audio-visually dynamic game - there just wasn't much point in doing the voice-overs.

If the game proves to be popular, I will definitely consider preparing a voice pack for it someday, but in the meantime I want to go back working on other games and stuff of mine asap.

I hope it doesn't sound like the game will be still rough around the edges though. We're currently investing a lot of the just to have the game polished and all the dialogs/interactions meaningful and fun. The trailer itself is based on the early version that Haggis played and there will be noticeable differences in the final. Here's the updated bar interior for example:

snakes-screen0d.png

The reason I ask about the title is not because it isn't good, but because of my interest in the Arthurian legend!

I would have been surprised if it had been fully voiced, as with an adventure game that means thousands of lines of dialogue.

If you did want a voice actor for your game, let me know though! Now that I've got a microphone I can do stuff like that.

I'm not saying there there isn't any connection to the Arthurian Avalon whatsoever, but don't get your hopes high either. Overall, the game is mix of a barfly's day-to-day existence with a Htichcock like suspense/murder story (think of The Lady Vanishes, Shadow of Doubt etc). Of course the broken mind of a drunk point of view gives it all a bit of a David Cronenberg flavor.

If you did want a voice actor for your game, let me know though! Now that I've got a microphone I can do stuff like that.

To be honest I want to do full voice-overs for Frantic Franko later this year, so I might call on you then. It's just that I can't do this for every single freeware game. But I'm very happy there are actually people who want to lend their voices. Justin Franklin (Guybrush/LeChuck from MISP) is doing the voice of Franko and is in the trailer of Snakes too.

Well, this concept is pretty much it, the final version will be just more polished. I wanted to show it because I'm happy how it came out, but I'm perfectly fine with none having anything to say about it, if it doesn't inspire to.

I'm not sure... right now it looks a bit Latin American or something, if that makes sense. Maybe a beige or cream colour would work better, although that's just my take, and I'm no design wiz... or maybe yellow, to hint at a certain fluid that's used in the game... :p

Sorry everyone, but despite what the trailer says we won't make it with a release in July after all. Expect the game early August though.

Oh, and after all kinds suggestions I've received we're trying different colors and fonts for the logo with some really cool results.

• 2 months later...

Is anyone playing the game among the forum readers here?

To give a bit of an incentive I wanted to mention Snakes of Avalon got picked as the freeware pick at the IndieGames.com blog, it is one of the 3 featured games on GameJolt, and appeared in the news at DIYGamer, as well as is gathering all sorts of favorable opinions just about everywhere.

• 3 months later...

Maybe it's just my luck and no one ever paid attention to this thread since the game's release, or maybe people don't remember about Snakes when they have time to try something new. But I certainly keep hearing on mixnmojo about how bored people are with what's currently offered in mainstream games, and it seems traditional point&click adventure games for the PC aren't out of place in these parts.

So I'm going to try one last time...

I'm offering Snakes of Avalon - my freeware adventure game that tells the story of a drunk attempting to stop a murder plot. It's very much in style of classic LucasArts adventures (in-fact it has lots of LEC titles references), but it's slightly more creepy, more disturbing. You can download the full version either here or here.

I've announced Snakes' release here in September in hopes of hearing a few opinions. Instead I didn't get even a single comment about it (except from Haggis, but he already played an early version of Snakes before I even started this thread).

If the info I provided about the game leaves you all completely cold, then of course don't force yourselves to play it. I'd just prefer to know if I was (and still am so far) disappointed over people's absentmindedness or plain apathy.

Archived