Home

Monkey Island 2 - Special Edition

Benny

We'll be needing a new thread for MI2:SE.

Obviously the files are still encrypted on steam right now, and I probably wont be around when the game is first unlocked. So for those who are, this might help. Obviously its only based on assumptions from looking at the encrypted preloaded files:

The Pak file:

It looks a lot smaller than expected - my guess is that its compressed in a similar manner to the xbox version of MI1SE. If thats the case then running XBDecompress on it might do the trick.

Try and have a poke around using Monkey Island Explorer it might work, if the format is the same.

The audio:

The audio is still in standard wavebanks/soundbanks so its likely that jott's modified UnXwb tool will work just fine. Assuming that everything's in the same format (xwma) then this automated solution might work.

[Edit] See later posts

See this post to extract the music

See this post to browse and extract the .pak

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've had a look a the pak file in the iphone version. The format seems the same except in the file records: the dword for offset in namedir is wrong. It doesnt point to a valid filename in the namedir.

UnXWB recognises the music (in musicnew at least) as ADP format - which I think is some ADPCM variant.

The pak file format isnt quite the same, as I said previously, the offset in namedir entries are wrong

I was able to open the pak in Monkey Explorer, but the preview shows everything corrupted.

DDS Decode failed! _coffin-skin/costumes_a03.dxt

DDS Decode failed! e_maphelphowto_bundle_pk_a02.dxt

Hope that's helpful in some way.

I've put together a package to automate the decoding of the MI2 music.

Instructions are in the readme but the process is basically this:

• Drag and drop an .xwb file onto the file named DECODEAUDIO
  • It'll take a few minutes to complete, the new files will be in the "Decoded" folder.
  • I've only tested it with MusicNew.xwb as my brain is fried, but I assume it'll work for some of the others.
  • See the readme for more information.

Download it here.

[Edit] Updated the download with a new version that is a lot quicker (thanks to Meelkee)

[Edit 2] Use the latest version of Monkey Island Explorer instead.

Awesome, thanks.

Was just writing on how to do it "manually" with Audacity, FFmpeg and LAME and using multiple export, but this is much more user friendly. :) Although that does output .mp3s instead of .wavs like here, so people will still have to use some converting software, but no biggie.

Just in case you haven't already done it, bg (I can't tell from the thread), the filename table offsets in .PAK should simply be ignored completely - the entries of the filename table are actually stored in the same order as the entires of the file offsets/size table, so for the first file, start from the beginning of the name table and just read the name up until the null terminator. For the next file, read from there until the next, etc.

Still no idea where the hell those name table offsets come from, but since monkey1.pak had the file table in the same order as the actual file content (while monkey2.pak doesn't), there's probably a bug there, and they never actually use the filename table offsets in either game.

Just in case you haven't already done it, bg (I can't tell from the thread), the filename table offsets in .PAK should simply be ignored completely - the entries of the filename table are actually stored in the same order as the entires of the file offsets/size table, so for the first file, start from the beginning of the name table and just read the name up until the null terminator. For the next file, read from there until the next, etc.

Still no idea where the hell those name table offsets come from, but since monkey1.pak had the file table in the same order as the actual file content (while monkey2.pak doesn't), there's probably a bug there, and they never actually use the filename table offsets in either game.

Thanks for that Serge, I've only really looked at the audio stuff this evening :)

Thanks to Serge I've updated Monkey Island Explorer to support MI2-SE. Its not fully optimised or anything yet - but it'll work for browsing the pak and extracting images and files.

It'll also work with the Xbox (if you use the XBDecompress tool) and iPhone versions should you feel the need to delve into them.

Get it here.

Beautiful. Works nicely. MI2:SE works without the pakfile being there, too, so you can extract it and be done with it like the original.

Interestingly enough, despite there being obvious changes to it, the original classic files are, like MISE, binary identical to the original CD version of MI2. I've checked the game in ScummVM and the credit sequence is still there, so it looks like it's being automatically skipped.

A .wav in the music file is SE_CreditsSequence.wav. This makes me believe that the titles are in there somewhere, and are just being skipped straight away.

edit:

Done some more poking around. Found the list of names for the dancing monkey scene and three xml costume reference files known as:

160_monkey-stop-skin.costume.xml

161_monkey-dance-skin.costume.xml

162_opening-credit-guybrush.costume.xml

What do we think about that?

Also:

dancinmonkeys.png

Beautiful. Works nicely. MI2:SE works without the pakfile being there, too, so you can extract it and be done with it like the original.

Interestingly enough, despite there being obvious changes to it, the original classic files are, like MISE, binary identical to the original CD version of MI2. I've checked the game in ScummVM and the credit sequence is still there, so it looks like it's being automatically skipped.

A .wav in the music file is SE_CreditsSequence.wav. This makes me believe that the titles are in there somewhere, and are just being skipped straight away.

edit:

Done some more poking around. Found the list of names for the dancing monkey scene and three xml costume reference files known as:

160_monkey-stop-skin.costume.xml

161_monkey-dance-skin.costume.xml

162_opening-credit-guybrush.costume.xml

What do we think about that?

Also:

dancinmonkeys.png

So essentially you're saying that the full opening sequence is available, but it's just being blocked? Ok, then how do we go about fixing that?

Archived