Home

Monkey Island 2 - Special Edition

Benny

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wonder, would it be possible to rename the two music files and swap them around - would this enable the SE music in classic mode, or cause epic failure? I can't try it out til later - but the classic version music is balls.

I found the backgrounds for the opening credits, rooms\images\103_open-cred\, but they are not in SE graphics.

And song exists and is called "mx154_SE_OpeningCredits_nl"

I was also going to look for the speech, but they are all named "000000XX", so it won't be easy to find, if they recorded it.

EDIT: Are they named like that because the decoder doesn't work properly with Speech.xwb, or are they supposed to be like that?

I wonder, would it be possible to rename the two music files and swap them around - would this enable the SE music in classic mode, or cause epic failure? I can't try it out til later - but the classic version music is balls.
Or one cold record the MT-32 tracks properly, if it's possible to write a new .xwb file.

That would be really awesome if we could do that. If someone figures it out, please tell us!

Or one cold record the MT-32 tracks properly, if it's possible to write a new .xwb file.

Yeah, if we can write a new .wxb that would be the ultimate. I wouldn't want to manufacture all those tracks though :)

I can't get MT-32 tracks, but I can record the music with Shan's soundfont which is very close to it. I would need a lot of time though since I only know how to do it in Linux which I don't have installed right now.

Also, yes. I believe the credit sequence is being locked away. I did even more poking and found interface files for the map pieces that surround the credits. They are, however, unfinished, copied straight from the original game. This leads me to believe that they gave up halfway through adding them.

I just tried that, and it doesn't work unfortunately. :( The classic version just goes silent, except for speech.

I did even more poking and found interface files for the map pieces that surround the credits. They are, however, unfinished, copied straight from the original game. This leads me to believe that they gave up halfway through adding them.

I found those too, but I didn't see the credit text.

I hope there is a way to "unlock" the opening credits.

I found those too, but I didn't see the credit text.

I hope there is a way to "unlock" the opening credits.

I believe the credits are in art\ui\credits\title.credits.xml.

Edit:

Looking at the unencrypted sections of the file, it looks like those are actually the MISE credits. Poo.

Also, in the 'remonkeyed' credits, Tim Schafer's name is misspelled with an extra 'F'. I tried removing it, but that obviously failed because of the encryption or whatever. Anyway to mess around with these XMLs?

Edit:

Looking at the unencrypted sections of the file, it looks like those are actually the MISE credits. Poo.

I wonder why they are there.

Also I finally finished decoding all the 7157 speech-files. Too bad they don't have proper names :(

I wonder why they are there.

Also I finally finished decoding all the 7157 speech-files. Too bad they don't have proper names :(

If we could decrypt speech.info, I'm sure we could find which lines are which by matching the lines. That's how classic SCUMM worked anyway, you could attach a reference to a speech file in MONSTER.SOU to a line and easily translate that reference.

If we could decrypt speech.info, I'm sure we could find which lines are which by matching the lines. That's how classic SCUMM worked anyway, you could attach a reference to a speech file in MONSTER.SOU to a line and easily translate that reference.

Some parts of it is readable, but I don't really know what to look for.

And where do I find the MONSTER.SOU?

I can't get MT-32 tracks, but I can record the music with Shan's soundfont which is very close to it. I would need a lot of time though since I only know how to do it in Linux which I don't have installed right now.

No. No emulators. No soundfonts. A real MT-32 or nothing at all. There really is nothing like it. I have an MT-32. I might be persuaded to take on the task. Can't you extract all the MIDI files from a Scumm game with Scumm Revisited or something? That would make things easier. Then you could compare them with the SE classic soundtrack to get what you need.

I'm still really bummed that the music in the Dinky Island jungle was plain scrapped.

Some parts of it is readable, but I don't really know what to look for.

And where do I find the MONSTER.SOU?

MONSTER.SOU isn't used in the SE, it's the file for speech in SCUMM v5. I was just comparing speech.info and how SCUMM used to reference speech.

Can't you extract all the MIDI files from a Scumm game with Scumm Revisited or something? That would make things easier. Then you could compare them with the SE classic soundtrack to get what you need.

Yes. Although General MIDI tracks don't exist in the original MI2, there's only Adlib, PC Speaker and Roland. ScummVM converts them to GM on the fly. I personally don't think the originals sound too good.

MONSTER.SOU isn't used in the SE, it's the file for speech in SCUMM v5. I was just comparing speech.info and how SCUMM used to reference speech.

I see.

The line "GUY_103_open-credits_1_1" is next to the line "You guys get out of here!" in the speech.info file. Could this be useful?

I see.

The line "GUY_103_open-credits_1_1" is next to the line "You guys get out of here!" in the speech.info file. Could this be useful?

Well it means the line's in there. I tried 0000103.wav, but it's not Guybrush at all. In fact I'm not sure who that is.

Hey, thanks for the tool, Benny! I've used it to extract the concept art at full size, without those annoying button overlays you see in-game. It's quite nice (and it's how I noticed the early "Crooked Island" name for Booty, which is hidden away written in the corner on one drawing, beneath the giant Back button the SE art gallery superimposes).

What's the process of getting a custom graphics file to work? I tried Gzipping it but the filesize was wrong.

Basically, strip back the dds header, put back the original 12 byte header, follow it with the gzipped data.

If people really want to do this then I'm sure that I, or someone else will make a tool to do it in the next few days.

Hey, thanks for the tool, Benny! I've used it to extract the concept art at full size, without those annoying button overlays you see in-game. It's quite nice (and it's how I noticed the early "Crooked Island" name for Booty, which is hidden away written in the corner on one drawing, beneath the giant Back button the SE art gallery superimposes).

Ta, I've avoided looking too much at the files as I've not completed the game myself yet :)

Archived