Home

Monkey Island 2 - Special Edition

Benny

Basically, strip back the dds header, put back the original 12 byte header, follow it with the gzipped data.

If people really want to do this then I'm sure that I, or someone else will make a tool to do it in the next few days.

I'm not sure what you are talking about, but a tool would be very nice.

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've put together a package to automate the decoding of the MI2 music.

Instructions are in the readme but the process is basically this:

• Drag and drop an .xwb file onto the file named DECODEAUDIO
  • It'll take a long time to complete, the new files will be in the "Decoded" folder.
  • I've only tested it with MusicNew.xwb as my brain is fried, but I assume it'll work for some of the others.
  • See the readme for more information.

Download it here.

Thanks SOOOO much for this. I feel like I'm 12 years old again when listening to all the tunes ;)

One short hint: The conversion takes so long because of all those verbose message lines. So if you want to save many hours, you can just disable them by adding a "-v 0" to the command in the batch file so that it looks like this:

..\unxwb.exe -r "..\ffmpeg.exe -v 0 -i #FILE ..\Decoded\#FILE"

Again, many thanks!

I heard there were lotta ppl not happy with monkey island 1 SE backgrounds (graphic glitches). what's the situation with the special edition of monkey island 2? Better I hope.
While there is similar sloppiness, I would say, it is an improvement. The worst example of remaining classic pixels I noticed is at the Scabb island beach left to the camp fire.

Largo's easy mode cloth is in his room and the inventory icon is there. I wonder if they actually intended to have easy mode available at one point.

On the other hand, there are highres versions of all the unused inventory icons, which is pretty useless.

The opening sequence backgrounds are there, but merely scaled up. No highres art there.

I wonder, if there are unused voice acting again. Maybe even easy mode texts. I wish, we could extract the voice acting with proper names.

When extracting the commentary file, the extractor asks me to overwrite every single file. It doesn't seem to make any difference if I answer yes or no. Can this be fixed? I don't want to hammer my keyboard for every single who knows how many files.

When extracting the commentary file, the extractor asks me to overwrite every single file. It doesn't seem to make any difference if I answer yes or no. Can this be fixed? I don't want to hammer my keyboard for every single who knows how many files.

Works fine for me, it'll only be asking you that if the files exist and seeing as commentary has names like 0000000c.wav - you've probably extracted files from another soundbank that have the same name.

I just played easy mode. The only thing which isn't right there is the hint system, but if someone uses it, he doesn't need easy mode to begin with.

All easy exclusive stuff seems to work just fine. Well, maybe except when Wally's turning out the light, it is accompanied by a slurping sound. Not exactly what the dialogs suggest. It's probably in the scripts that way, since in Adlib, that sound could be anything.

If you want to try, I made a patch which forces the game to run always in easy mode: http://www.mediafire.com/?20wqej2wk2y

Put the patched monkey2.000 and monkey2.001 to classic\en\

To undo it, just removes the files from classic\en\

Thanks for the easy mode patch! I quickly breezed through it myself. I did notice a few other very minor bugs (had to doubleclick to exit from the woodshop, a few animation glitches in Stan's shop), but it worked just fine. I'm surprised all of the voice acting for easy mode is there. Maybe they removed it since they thought it wouldn't be necessary due to the hint system?

By the way, is it possible to repack the xwb files so you can replace the music in them? The project is probably too ambitious, but it would be nice to replace the classic mode music with MT-32 music.

I did notice a few other very minor bugs (had to doubleclick to exit from the woodshop, a few animation glitches in Stan's shop), but it worked just fine.
I don't think those are related to the patch. Is there even a difference at Stan's?

In the woodshop, were someone talking by any chance? I noticed, the engine waits for voice playback to be finished before loading the next room, which is generally a good idea, but can be irritating at times.

One particular animation glitch at Stan's is when Guybrush asks about the coffin and actually points in the other direction. That is no SE bug, though, as it was always there before.

I'm surprised all of the voice acting for easy mode is there. Maybe they removed it since they thought it wouldn't be necessary due to the hint system?
I suspect, they just did it like they did in some previous releases too. The easy mode selection is in a room called "copycrap", which has a terrible messy scripting, probably in order to scare of crackers. They just skipped that room altogether, which is very easy to do. On the other hand, there is a boot parameter for easy mode, which they just could have used, but the SE team probably didn't notice that anyways.

I wonder why they are there.

Also I finally finished decoding all the 7157 speech-files. Too bad they don't have proper names :(

That can be fixed. The names of the speech files are in the accompanying soundbank (.xsb).

I've talked with silverwolfpet at Telltale about an MT-32. Unfortunately, he doesn't have one. But he tells me he'll get in contact with someone who might do.

So now we just need to know how to repack and .xwb and we may have MT-32 music on the way.

I've talked with silverwolfpet at Telltale about an MT-32. Unfortunately, he doesn't have one. But he tells me he'll get in contact with someone who might do.

So now we just need to know how to repack and .xwb and we may have MT-32 music on the way.

There are two possible approaches to repacking:

1) Hack the original .xwb file - just changing the data and adjusting the block sizes.

2) Use the Microsoft's XACT tool (the tool that was originally used to build and compile the wavebanks) to make a new one. This might be a simpler approach. XACT comes with the free XNA Game Studio. Note that it only accepts wav/aif/aiff music/sounds so any re-recording shouldnt be encoded in a lossy format as you'd have to convert it back to wav again anyway.

There are two possible approaches to repacking:

1) Hack the original .xwb file - just changing the data and adjusting the block sizes.

2) Use the Microsoft's XACT tool (the tool that was originally used to build and compile the wavebanks) to make a new one. This might be a simpler approach. XACT comes with the free XNA Game Studio. Note that it only accepts wav/aif/aiff music/sounds so any re-recording shouldnt be encoded in a lossy format as you'd have to convert it back to wav again anyway.

Good stuff. Do you know of any way to get XACT on its own? Grabbing the entire studio would take a lot of time, I imagine.

Archived