Home

Monkey Island 2 - Special Edition

Benny

There should, though. For instance, entering and leaving Largo's room changes to a different main melody while continuing the background.

Same as with the Men of Low Moral Fiber (Pirates). As soon as you talk with them, a harmonica instrument fades up, while the background remains the same. When you stop talking, it fades away.

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If the Special Edition is built on top of the original game, then maybe it would be possible to disable the new audio system when in classic mode and just re-enable the original midi soundtrack? It might not play properly, but tools like VDMSound could be of use.

If the Special Edition is built on top of the original game, then maybe it would be possible to disable the new audio system when in classic mode and just re-enable the original midi soundtrack? It might not play properly, but tools like VDMSound could be of use.
VDMSound is for DOS games and won't help here at all. What you need is MIDI capabilities in the engine, which probably is very easy to port to Windows for them. But they apparently think that no one wants to use a real MT-32 anymore. I've heard that there is no native MIDI support for their other Steam releases either, which is an unnecessary limitation, imho.

after some days of testing I can say the special edition of monkey 2 is FAR BETTER than mi1se. it feels like made by a different team of programmers. there are some minor graphic glitches or visible original pixels but it's nothing like the mess found in monkey 1. the animations are not the state of the art but acceptable, again, better than those of mi1se. the graphic art style is very good, with a high fidelity to steve purcell original art. so imho...good job lucasarts!

By the way...

Did anyone figure out how the language change works in the Steam version of MI2 SE? I know it includes English, German, French, Italian and Spanish languages (for subtitles). There is a Launcher by Skidrow to change the language on their (pirated) version (which I cannot and shall not condone). However, it only works for their version, not for the original unpatched Steam version. There, on my system, the language remains English no matter what.

Same as with the Men of Low Moral Fiber (Pirates). As soon as you talk with them, a harmonica instrument fades up, while the background remains the same. When you stop talking, it fades away.

It doesn't actually fade though. It is an instant switch to that variation of the tune. Maybe I'm wrong, but I can't remember any fading in any part of the game.

While those are all there, this part seems bugged too. I never got them actually playing in the game when they should.

Yeah, same here. The only time I've heard them is when I got a bug and the Voodoo theme kept playing after I left the swamp area, and then I started to hear the snippets of music on top of the normal voodoo music.

Did you change something? Or was this just proof of concept?

Yes, I rebuilt the music from musicnew and checked it worked fine ingame, then I replaced MUS_Menu with a completely different song (Lucky Man by the Verve, as it was what was closest to hand) and it worked fine.

With a bit more tweaking though I should be able to give you all a working project workflow for replacing the music :)

This is great news! Good luck!

It doesn't actually fade though. It is an instant switch to that variation of the tune. Maybe I'm wrong, but I can't remember any fading in any part of the game.

Certain themes do fade between alternate tracks in the original game (low moral fiber guys, Largo's room, cemetery themes). It's not instant. I remember this clearly and experience it every time I've played it in ScummVM. The Voodoo Swamp doesn't fade in and out the instruments, though.

Certain themes do fade between alternate tracks in the original game (low moral fiber guys, Largo's room, cemetery themes). It's not instant. I remember this clearly and experience it every time I've played it in ScummVM. The Voodoo Swamp doesn't fade in and out the instruments, though.

Oh, I'm talking about the special edition. I haven't heard any fading there.

I'm getting a bit confused now. Are you referring to the Men of Low Moral Fiber music? There's no missing instrument there. There's 2 unique tracks for that room, and it switches between those if you start/stop talking with those guys. I'm not sure how the original works, but doesn't it do the same thing except with fading?

The original track has the trombone for Mad Marty in the right speaker. When you wake the men of low moral fibre up, the trombone fades down a bit and accordion and drums fade up in the left speaker. From what I can hear, the SE lacks the accordion and also does the panning wrong. When you listen to the classic mode music in that scene, the panning is also wrong, so maybe that's how the mistake happened...

The panning is wrong because they recorded the classic soundtrack from the MT-32 and if you're playing the game files raw from the MT-32 (outside the game) the panning is reversed. They obviously based the SE soundtrack mix on their classic recordings which is why the SE soundtrack is also wrong. In their zeal to get it as faithful to the original as possible they made a bunch of rookie mistakes and it made the whole project suffer drastically.

Hi Guys, I love what you do and what some of you also did on MI1:SE... its really interesting and cool watch how you can get into the games.. ok, so I have got some request for ya again :o)

I am used to repaint art from old games and put them back into the game so it looks better, what about some hack for MI2:SE BGs? I got the one you made for Mi1:SE and works great, but I am missing one for MI2:SE.

Could somebody make utility which will export all art out and also could be able to import them back into the game?

Thanks..

any detailed "HOW" explanation could be cool.

Hi Guys, I love what you do and what some of you also did on MI1:SE... its really interesting and cool watch how you can get into the games.. ok, so I have got some request for ya again :o)

I am used to repaint art from old games and put them back into the game so it looks better, what about some hack for MI2:SE BGs? I got the one you made for Mi1:SE and works great, but I am missing one for MI2:SE.

Could somebody make utility which will export all art out and also could be able to import them back into the game?

Thanks..

any detailed "HOW" explanation could be cool.

Monkey Explorer will let you view .dxt files solely, those are the textures. Export them as PNG, make what edits you want. As for converting those PNGs back into dxt, I'm not entirely sure. That's not my department. But MI2:SE works without monkey2.pak in the same way that MISE does, so it's a simple matter of replacing dxt's with modified ones.

I with my friend made full Hungarian translation of MISE (We translated graphics also the result is much better than original : )

So We would like to translate MISE 2 , but Lucas changed test files, and old translation tools did not work with MISE 2.

Does anybody can help to us? (make new MISE compatible translation tool... )

Yeah,... MI1:SE utility does this:

open and export all files from .pak file

(that way I got completely opened game with folders)

I repainted it and overwrite old ones by new ones in game folder. Very simple isnt it?

So, does somebody has the power to make this similar utility for MI2:SE?

Thank you.

Yeah,... MI1:SE utility does this:

open and export all files from .pak file

(that way I got completely opened game with folders)

I repainted it and overwrite old ones by new ones in game folder. Very simple isnt it?

So, does somebody has the power to make this similar utility for MI2:SE?

Thank you.

It's already been done.

okay so i am a little lost in most if not all of this

is it possible to rip all of the voices out of the game

and then insert them into the old game using ScummSpeaks

or is there an easier way?

You'll need to match each wav to the appropriate lines in ScummSpeaks. That's going to be a very tough thing to do.

What stage are you at? Did you unxwb the speech file?

Attached is the mappings for the speech files.

Later on I'll amend the music extractor so that it gives the speech files the correct names.

No disrespect, but is it just me or does that list not match up?

Archived