Home

Monkey Island 2 - Special Edition

Benny

I just updated the spreadsheet that bgbennyboy posted for me to include the dialog lines that matches the speech sound files. Obviously I didn't test them all, but I did test a random handful and everything seems to match up. There a few that will be blank. They aren't indexed in either the speech.info file or the en.speech.info file. I've been to busy digging into the files to actually play the game so I don't know if they are used without any lines on the screen or if they aren't used at all. Anyway, that will be available whenever bgbennyboy gets my email and posts it. :)

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've got wavebank and adpcm support working in Monkey Island Explorer. So rather than update the music extractor the music dumper will be integrated into MI Explorer from now on.

This has a few advantages:

1 - I've got adpcm playing correctly now so there's no need for the lossy conversion to pcm wav that there is currently.

2 - I can use SKA-T's mappings to add correct/more descriptive filenames to all sounds and music.

I just need to polish and test it a bit more and should release the new version in a few days.

How is converting to PCM lossy? O_o

It er..isn't. My brain was fried after delving into different WAVEFORMAT structures and ADPCM coefficients :(

will this new version work with the speech sounds too or just the music

Yes it works with all audio from both games.

Its basically done now, I just need to package it up, do a readme file and make it a proper section on my site. So release will be tomorrow probably.

Question. Will it play the xWMA files from the SFX soundbanks?

Yes, so long as the XWMAencode.exe tool is in the same folder as the program.

I'm just uploading the new version now and updating my site. Thanks for your mappings, they were very useful :)

I've released version 0.4 of Monkey Island Explorer.

This version includes two big features - audio playback/dumping and annotation support.

Audio dumping works for every audio file in both games. It plays back the ms-adpcm audio, the pcm audio and (if xWMAencode.exe is in the same folder) the xWMA audio. Because of this I've removed the link to my old MI Music Dumper - Monkey Island Explorer now does the job better.

Annotation support is the other handy feature. Annotations contain alternative filenames for audio that are more descriptive than those present in the original audio files. Eg the MI2 speech annotation file means that instead of a filename of “5840″ you instead see “Stan’s Kozy Krypts– A Place to Spend Eternity, Not a Fortune.”

I've used SKA-T's mappings to make annotation files for the MI2 speech and MI2 commentary, these are included with the program. Of course, I'd also like people to make annotations for the other files and to share them so that I can include them with the next release of the program.

Get it here.

This fails on the original MISE wavebanks with an error code 5. But I guess MISE isn't really in the scope here.

Do you have xWMAencode.exe in the same folder as the readme and both my posts above say?

That thing is awesome!! Good work sir. I'll probably get the rest of the files mapped to proper names here in the next few days. I'll send them along when I get them finished. One thing though, in the ambiance wavebank there are filenames in the wavebank itself and different names in the sound bank file. Just like the music new wavebank. Did you want the names from the ambiance soundbank or will the wavebank names suffice?

That thing is awesome!! Good work sir. I'll probably get the rest of the files mapped to proper names here in the next few days. I'll send them along when I get them finished. One thing though, in the ambiance wavebank there are filenames in the wavebank itself and different names in the sound bank file. Just like the music new wavebank. Did you want the names from the ambiance soundbank or will the wavebank names suffice?

Whichever you think is best. By default the program will use the names in the wavebank if there are any. If a matching annotation file is found though it'll use the names from that instead.

So if the names in the wavebank are better than those in the sound bank then there's no need for the sb names and there won't need to be an annotation file made.

Dear friends, I am part of a community of translation of old games for Brazil Portuguese and I have MI2 with the Portuguese language in Brazil but I'm not able to adapt this language to MI2 SE got the script file and monkey2.000 and monkey2 .001 translated and I can not put in MI2 IF someone will help? hugs to everyone.

• 2 weeks later...

I have checked out what has changed since the update of MI2.

The following files have been added:

- PatchCues.xsb

- Patch.xwb

The following files have been changed:

- MI2SE_Audio_Music.xgs

- MusicCuesNew.xsb

- MusicCuesOriginal.xsb

- Monkey2.exe

Which means:

- The resources have not been tampered with, they were overridden by Patch.xwb.

- The control of the intro behaviour seems to come from within the exe file.

If you want to try, I made a patch which forces the game to run always in easy mode:

Thanks for this! :D That was fun, it was actually the first time I've ever played Monkey Island 2 in easy mode. I'm surprised all the stuff for the easy mode was actually available in the special edition. :)

• 1 month later...

Archived