Home

Monkey Island 2 - Special Edition

Benny

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can somebody help me find the scripts this game uses? In Monkey2 original I could make a translation of the library catalog only by re-ordering the handler scripts (Lscr_0204, Scrp_063 and Scrp_064, I think). Is it possible, that this game uses the original's scripts? From the non-english versions, it is clear, that LucasArts couldn't create a consistent translation of the library catalog in MI2SE.:)

By the way, I described the file formats of fr.speech.info and fr.uitext.info here:

http://www.lucasforums.com/showpost.php?p=2748260&postcount=275

in case somebody would write a translator. I wrote mine, but unfortunately it's still buggy. :mad:

This game has the most confusing voice acting credits I've ever seen.

I analyzed the voice filenames, and found some which are never mentioned in the game. I sorted them so far:

- Frank, Fred and Fin are the Men of Low Moral Fiber, credited as Franklin, Freddy and Phineas in MI1SE.

- Larry, Crutch and Windy are the spitting contest audience.

- Greg is the fellow working with Rich.

- Skeleton and Moose are the party guests at the window.

- Fairy is one of the party guests to the left. The other one uses filenames with ZUL.

- Potman is one of the party guests at the table. The other one uses filenames with DUD.

- Clown is one of the party guests to the right. The other one uses filenames with PIG.

- Grillcook is the cook in Elaine's mansion.

- Sentry is Augustus DeWaat.

- Dealer is the roulette dealer.

Actually, the roulette dealer is names Fred, too. But due to a script bug, this is never revealed.

And I have no clue what ZUL and DUD might stand for. I guess, those, the pig and Guybrush's dad are the "additional voices" then.

I noticed those samples. Are you sure, they are actually used in game? The scripts simply pick a random number between 1 and 32.

I'm just translating the game to Hungarian, and it is strange that there are two 22-s in every set of texts whether it is Guybrush 'I'd like 22 black', the dealer's '22 black it is' or Oscar's 'The winning number will be 22 black', both colors. Do the scripts pick a value between 1 and 32 or between 0 and 32? In the latter, the second 22 is used in the game.:)

From the non-english versions, it is clear, that LucasArts couldn't create a consistent translation of the library catalog in MI2SE.:)

It's because the game uses the classic game's scripts to control the Special Edition. Since the classic game is still in the original SCUMM compressed file, and the library catalog needs a different handler script for every language, it was almost impossible for LucasArts to create a correct translation.

I wrote my translation tool, but it isn't stable, and I can't give it to you, because it is in PHP :). Since nobody else could create a working translator yet, you should write yours. I made a description about the uitext.info and the speech.info formats here: http://www.lucasforums.com/showpost.php?p=2748260&postcount=275 . It is quite easy to make a translator, if you know some programming language, I wrote mine (which is still buggy) in a day or so.

Character sets are in png graphics (at least for the PC edition), so you could edit them in any better graphics editor.

Position of text in files and speech.info and uitext.info Hex Code:

7gJTks.jpg Gr4t5s.jpg cExdos.jpg

There translation tool that helps increase and characters?

• 3 weeks later...

I'm a trouble to change Language at MISE 2 after setup.

I know the way in MISE 1

(C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\LucasArts\The Secret of Monkey Island Special Edition\settings.ini)

But this way do not work with mise 2. I find ini file, but ini do not contain language section.

How Can I change language after setup (I would like to cahnge Ebglish to French for example)

I saw a pirate tool , but do not works with Steam version

DUNSTAN, How's your translation tool? You are 100% working?

Could make available for testing, do not understand programming, and is difficult to create a tool for this purpose.

I wrote my translation tool, but it isn't stable, and I can't give it to you, because it is in PHP :). Since nobody else could create a working translator yet, you should write yours. I made a description about the uitext.info and the speech.info formats here: http://www.lucasforums.com/showpost.php?p=2748260&postcount=275 . It is quite easy to make a translator, if you know some programming language, I wrote mine (which is still buggy) in a day or so.

Character sets are in png graphics (at least for the PC edition), so you could edit them in any better graphics editor.

So, if it's possible to simply extract the contents of Monkey2.pak and then delete it to make the game run the files from their respective paths, does anyone think it would be possible to make the game read the music files as wavs from a certain path rather than from the .xwb file?

I'm just really desperate to make some music patches. :p

So, if it's possible to simply extract the contents of Monkey2.pak and then delete it to make the game run the files from their respective paths, does anyone think it would be possible to make the game read the music files as wavs from a certain path rather than from the .xwb file?

I'm just really desperate to make some music patches. :p

I dont think so no. To make a music patch you need to build new XWB files. You can use the xact tool together with the project files that have been previously posted to do this.

I am sorry, but my tool uses PHP language, which is a web programming language, so it needs a PHP-enabled WWW-server to work. I can't create C++ or Java, even FreePascal programs, since I don't know these languages well enough. :(

I'm afraid, I will have no time to find the bugs in it, especially since we have finished the translation. Generally it works (the translation of uitext.info was error-free, speech info uses a more complex index table), but rarely it wrongs the index table of the edited file, and these errors are hard to correct, (sometimes it is hard even to notice them, my translated speech.info looked right, but a lot of voices ceased to exist in the game). So if somebody wants it, it is 'as is' (like the half-sunken boat at Stan's in Monkey 1 :) ).

Anyway, you will need some programming experience to re-program the library's scripts which handle the card catalog, if you want an ordered catalog system in your language. It is in original LucasArts scripting language, and can be re-programmed by using some Scumm tools like ScumRev, scummrp, etc. I did it once by creating an ordered library catalog in Hungarian, and I can give more info about this if somebody is interested.

DUNSTAN, How's your translation tool? You are 100% working?

Could make available for testing, do not understand programming, and is difficult to create a tool for this purpose.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I made a tool to translate Monkey Island SE 2 speech.info file.

It support speech.info only (at now ), but later I will add uitext.info

XBOX version has different coding, may be I will add later

(And If I have lot of spare time my I will add MISE 1 support, but there is a great tool for it)

http://www.mediafire.com/?gclm9nd012nkmgs

I made new version.

You may edit uitext.info also.

http://www.mediafire.com/?0610c4mi1z9bmod

Archived