Home

Inception

Inception

Who's going to watch it? It's being directed by Batman Begins director Christopher Nolen, and is scheduled to come out next Friday.

I'll be watching the film; should be interesting, judging from the previews at least. And the early reviews don't seem that bad either.

From the way it sounds, I do want to see it. But conversely, it also sounds like one of those "MindScrew" concepts that go over the heads of most people, even though the core concept is simple. Controlling dreams seems to be it, though there may be more(I wasn't intently listening to the trailer).

Just like the machines in the Matrix enslaving humans, because it was obvious that we wouldn't like them calling the shots. How hard is it to understand that?

I'm definitely catching that. Trailers look amazing. I just hope it doesn't turn out to be something cheesy. "Next" looked promising when I saw it's trailer but the movie was boring. But Inception has Nolan, so I guess it'll be awesome.

I'm trying to stay off the hype train, because that's probably how Nolan intends to push the film, considering how late they've started the PR campaign. I'm doing pretty well, but I already know the premise and some visual shots, so I'm not entirely clean on this. :/

I'm sure it should be good, and so I'm looking forward to it, because that is how cause-and-effect works to my knowledge.

Wow. They'd be driven mad if they went into my dreams. What with all the- you know what? Nevermind! :carms:

This movie has piqued my interest. But it's a scary thought. People having the tech to go into my dreams. "I pity da foo" that tries it. :mrt:

Just saw it today (released a day early where I am)

Just... wow. I mean, it totally blew my mind. Absolutely amazing movie. It's got a fresh concept that's (as far as I know) never been explored this deeply before. One thing's for sure: you HAVE to pay attention to whats going on in the movie.

I'm definitely watching this one atleast twice more :D

Just saw it today (released a day early where I am)

Just... wow. I mean, it totally blew my mind. Absolutely amazing movie. It's got a fresh concept that's (as far as I know) never been explored this deeply before. One thing's for sure: you HAVE to pay attention to whats going on in the movie.

I'm definitely watching this one atleast twice more :D

Ill have to see it twice since Im going with my girlfriend, I wont be able to pay too much attention to the movie...

• 3 weeks later...

My 2c:

I don't get the hype. I liked the costume design, the nods to Surrealism, particularly the Dali/Halsmann photographs but I couldn't really engage with the characters. Great films have an essential thread that makes them accessible to a greater audience, with a complexity that can be peeled away if you can be arsed.

Films like Alfred Hitchcock's Vertigo(1958) and David Lynch's Blue Velvet(1986) do this with ease, with a 'ripping yarn' ontop of the 'arty crap' - but Inception is a pretender in an already established genre. If you really want to have your mind blown by a high concept art film, it's been done so much better by other directors across the world. The most recent one that really got my gears grinding was Lynch's Inland Empire.

Leave dream state meanderings to Hitchcock and Lynch ;) So far of Nolan's films I think I like The Prestige the most, but maybe that's just because of the cool sequence with Bowie as Tesla :p

Fig.1 - Phillipe Halsmann, Dali Atomicus 1948

dali-atomicus.jpg

Fig.2.

Easily the most scientifically precise rendering of what constitutes Inception to date.

PG-13 Warning: contains S word ;)

Show spoiler
(hidden content - requires Javascript to show)
InceptionBullseye-thumb-555x555-447.jpg

Fig.3.

This is a great flowchart to sum up Nolan. :D

ChristopherNolanFlowchart-thumb-510.jpg

Fig.4. How to Ruin Nolan's plot in 3 images.

JiPqw.jpg

Still, I recommend people check it out to make up their own minds. We don't often get films like that. I personally recommend you read up on it before you see it if you're not used to movies with such a layered narrative structure ie. 'dream within a dream within a dream' +/-1 ;)

Woah. Though sometimes it's a little TOO grounded in reality for my tastes, not enough surrealism.

Mike, if that's what you're into.... don't waste your time with Ronald McNolan. Get yourself this and try stay grounded :)

inlandempire.jpg

Love how Lynch sings the theme himself....zOMG [/LynchFanboy]

(This BBCode requires its accompanying plugin to work properly.)

mtfbwya

Inception was hardly as arty a film as any of David Lynch's films, and Inception was at its heart, a cyberpunk story told in an Oceans Eleven-style heist film clothing. It hardly as much about exploring the subconscious as surrealism, and it did not try to be "high concept" or arty. It was science fiction with the premise that there exists a device that lets multiple people share one person's dream. The film then extrapolates what could happen out of that, namely:

1. That people would try to build endless paradise worlds where they live forever and do whatever they want.

2. Thieves steal ideas from others' subconsciousness or "incept" them.

It was a tight action thriller with metaphorical overtones, not a Lynch-esque piece about... whatever it is that Lynch's films are about. I think you got your genres mixed up, Monsieur Astro. o_Q

It was a tight action thriller with metaphorical overtones

lolz... you make it sound like an Oliver Stone flick Sabrez. So you think the 'tight action thriller' popcorn crowd like the subtle like a brick in the face references to Dali, Halsmann, Magritte and Escher?

You can't go about making your movie borrow so much from these artistic idioms and then say "it's not meant to be arty."

THIS is what a Sci-Fi Action Thriller with Metaphorical Tones looks like:

bladerunner.jpg

I think your getting your 'staid descriptions of movies' mixed up, SabreTron :p

mtfbwya

lolz... you make it sound like an Oliver Stone flick Sabrez. So you think the 'tight action thriller' popcorn crowd like the subtle like a brick in the face references to Dali, Halsmann, Magritte and Escher?

I don't think you're quite getting what Nolan does in his films. He takes themes or ideas normally suited to art-house pictures and then gives them mass appeal. How many Hollywood blockbusters are based around the theme of regret?

I find it rather refreshing that a big-budget film required you to think a little...

So you think the 'tight action thriller' popcorn crowd like the subtle like a brick in the face references to Dali, Halsmann, Magritte and Escher?

Indeed they do, and they absolutely hate gunfights, time limits, fast-paced heists, dapper protagonists, gratuitous special effects, sci-fi phenomena that is carefully explained step-by-step and exotic locations, all of which Christopher Nolan so intelligently chose to omit in Inception.

Right? :p

I think you're getting your mass-market and art-house stacks mixed up, Astroleum. :p

I think you're getting your mass-market and art-house stacks mixed up, Astroleum. :p

lol, its not that, it's just the hype that is circulating heralding this film as some revolution in cinema. I know you are knowledgeable about cinema, so I'm not having a dig at you of course, but when you read some of the reviews at imdb.

To try and explain Inceptions many plot twists and incredibly intelligent arcs, would be a foolish task. As Nolan himself has been reluctant to. The best way to approach the film would be with an open mind, if you are prepared to be taken on a ride of a lifetime, then trust that you 100% will.

If Avatar was a seminal film in technology (although coming out as a rather poor film, in my opinion), then Inception is seminal in it's storytelling.

With this complex movie in it's high concept.....

I mean.....c'mon! Even someone like Lynch, whilst influential to so many modern artists and film makers, is hardly seminal in any regard.

Tradition4dummies.jpg

Inception is as high concept as Wolfgang Peterson's Troy(2004) honours Homer's dactylic hexameter.

mtfbwya

Come now Astro, you're reading IMDB reviews and taking them seriously now? :p

Nah, I just wish said reviewers would broaden their knowledge of what has come before before spouting off in such spectacular fashion and giving a film a 10/10 because its the best thing they've seen since Avatar :p

mtfbwya

Archived