Home

MI2SE Soundtrack

KestrelPi

So, we want a listenable version of the MI2SE soundtrack, but at the moment a lot of the files are in pieces and all of them cut off abruptly at the loop points, which means the idea is to band together and get them working one at a time.

Now that we know how to extract the music I've already worked on a couple and have a couple more in the running, and anyone else who wants to join in on this is welcome, but let's get a list going of who is working on what so that we're not repeating each other's work.

SurplusGamer:

Complete:

Captain Kate's Boat

The International House of Mojo

Largo's Theme

Stabbing Largo

Phatt Island Arrival

--

Phatt Mansion Guard

Monkey Island 2 Theme

Bone Song (Instrumental Version)

Guybrush's Dream In Full (Instrumental)

--

Captain Dread

--

Mardi Gras Fish Fry

LeChuck's Fortress

Capture and Torture

--

Rum Rogers

Scabb Island Map

Phatt Island Jail

Phatt's Bedroom

Cemetary and Crypt

Bart 'n' Fink

Chapter Screen

Aubuhbuh

Completed:

Underground Tunnels

Woodtick (combined)

Dinky Island

Laserschwert

Woodtick Locations (individually, rather than as a combined piece)

--

If anyone else wants to get in on it then I suggest they say what they're working on. But a few ground rules:

- Please know the soundtrack very well. A lot of the music is split into several parts, and if you're not familiar with how it all fits together then you're going to get it wrong.

- Don't loop the music too many times. Nobody needs 5 minutes of the Jail music looping over and over again.

- If what you are working on the kind that has transitions or other sections across multiple files, try to line it up so that the transition is seamless. This is for listening, so avoid ugly, abrupt changes! I recommend a programme like Audacity, where you can work with overlapping music tracks.

- Remember to check the levels if you're mixing tracks together, you may need to reduce the volume to avoid clipping issues. If you don't know what that means, you probably shouldn't be working on this ;P

- As for uploading, I think 256kbps MP3s would be a good format compromise between quality, size and usability (yes, there are other, but more people will be able to get the mp3s without having to download codecs). Just upload them to any old file sharing service for now.

- For now, just name the files MI2SE - [Name of Music].mp3 and we can put them into some sort of order later.

--

I'll put up the first two of mine later on tonight (they're finished and sound great), and I'll update this if anyone has anything to add.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is "Woodtick" going to contain all the variations from the different places? Because, I wouldn't do that. With all the transitions being included in the rip, you can make each place (the woodchuck, Mad Marty, the inn, etc.) a separate track with a perfect ending (two of the transitions can be put together for these). Loop the main loop twice and add two transitions for an ending, and they sound great.

Is "Woodtick" going to contain all the variations from the different places? Because, I wouldn't do that. With all the transitions being included in the rip, you can make each place (the woodchuck, Mad Marty, the inn, etc.) a separate track with a perfect ending (two of the transitions can be put together for these). Loop the main loop twice and add two transitions for an ending, and they sound great.

I guess it's up to Aubuhbuh but personally I prefer the style of having them all in one track, with all the variations playing once only, with a few seconds of the background music in between each one (and the full background music at the start). I think of the woodtick stuff as all one big piece of music, and it just feels wrong to split it up into seperate tracks. You're welcome to do so, though, and perhaps we'll make them bonus tracks once it's all compiled?

Mh... now that you mention it...

Woodtick uses iMuse for a reason, so it should be one continuous track, I agree.

Still, I'll try to make separate cues as well.

Man, with all those snippets we really have a lot options :D

Cool. Anything else you want to work on?

Any word on if there will be an official release of the soundtrack? Or if not, any chance of uploading the finished product onto Lucasarts Soundtracks?

No word at the moment. For now we're just compiling. It isn't just a simple case of dumping the files somewhere, unfortunately.

I have completed 5 of these, you can see links to them in the original post now.

Please let me know what you think. I haven't looped the music round very much, I found that the tunes tended to outstay their welcome when I did that, but I think what I've edited together is pretty effective.

I think these sound great. Maybe a little short somewhat, but I know you didn't want to repeat the loops too much. Is this just an effort to make a complete soundtrack of all the cues and snippets or is it for putting in the PC version of the game?

Just for listening purposes. And yeah, I did toy with looping them round a bit more but mostly I felt that it didn't really add anything, except time. So I'm going for nice, concise and listenable.

Right! Thanks a lot - got some music for the night ... :) some thoughts:

kate's music needs louder drums. sounds a little lame.

I must say I like the Phatt music the best, especially in terms of fidelity to the original.

Soundwise, in some recordings you can actually HEAR the studio (for example: Largos music), may work in-game though. :(

the mojo music doesn't sound as dramatic as in the original - very sad, one of my favorites. they just had to add some brass!!!

the main theme sounds somehow sloppy and unfinished ... and the synth strings at the end give the impression they are a temporary solution.

however, a nice new perspective to one of the best video game soundtracks.

Alright, I've finally gotten to some Wi-Fi. So, the Underground Tunnels piece is done. It runs about 12 minutes, and goes from LeChuck's appearence to the end credits. It sounds pretty good, but I might still play with the levels a bit. I'll be back at my computer on Saturday, so I'll upload it then. I can't wait to get started on Woodtick.

I wonder why they didn't record the vocals for the bone song live with the orchestra, or at least have them as part of the music track like Michael Land did with "A Pirate I Was Meant To Be". Didn't they consider that the way they did do it would make the vocals be out of sync with the lyrics? In any case, if anyone wants to extract the vocals as well, I'd be happy to sync them up with the musical track, if anyone's interested.

I wonder why they didn't record the vocals for the bone song live with the orchestra, or at least have them as part of the music track like Michael Land did with "A Pirate I Was Meant To Be". Didn't they consider that the way they did do it would make the vocals be out of sync with the lyrics? In any case, if anyone wants to extract the vocals as well, I'd be happy to sync them up with the musical track, if anyone's interested.

Sounds like a plan... maybe improve the singing too? :)

Alright, I've finally gotten to some Wi-Fi. So, the Underground Tunnels piece is done. It runs about 12 minutes, and goes from LeChuck's appearence to the end credits. It sounds pretty good, but I might still play with the levels a bit. I'll be back at my computer on Saturday, so I'll upload it then. I can't wait to get started on Woodtick.

Great! 12 minutes is quite long though. Any chance you could make some seperate versions as in:

1. Initial conversation with lechuck and guybrush-zapping

2. Underground tunnel wandering/making the voodoo doll/defeating lechuck

3. Carnival/End credits

I think those would be good points to split them up.

Archived