Home

MI2: SE - Minor Annoyances

Bit too tall and old in my reckoning... good link to the CMI guybrush, but not very close to the original sprite. Same eyes as EMI Guybrush, which is not a good thing -- like staring into the heart of a black hole.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply
tester.png

This is pretty great. This design wasn't fantastic, but when they released the set of images, it was definitely the one that struck me as hewing closest to the original sprite design. The colors sell it a bit more. The designs following it looked progressively less and less like Guybrush, resulting in horseface above, and the final kind of anime-looking yellow-haired bloke.

Considering Guybrush WAS essentially homeless at this time, I don't think "It looks too much like a homeless person" is really a criticism. Hell, look at the original sprite, his coat is filthy and in tatters. He probably did sleep in the street, or in worse places, at that point in his life. If anything, the final design is a bit too clean-cut.

I always thought the V3 Guybrush was on the right track. I always pictured him as rather thin and wiry. The face was definitley too creepy and mature, but it was also in the right ballpark since they seemed to be going for a sort of CMI look in the first SE as well with the long face and whatnot. I think with some tweaking V3 would have been my favorite.

This is pretty great. This design wasn't fantastic, but when they released the set of images, it was definitely the one that struck me as hewing closest to the original sprite design. The colors sell it a bit more. The designs following it looked progressively less and less like Guybrush, resulting in horseface above, and the final kind of anime-looking yellow-haired bloke.

Considering Guybrush WAS essentially homeless at this time, I don't think "It looks too much like a homeless person" is really a criticism. Hell, look at the original sprite, his coat is filthy and in tatters. He probably did sleep in the street, or in worse places, at that point in his life. If anything, the final design is a bit too clean-cut.

Filthy rich you mean. Atleast for a while.

Filthy rich you mean. Atleast for a while.

Filthy rich nasty smelling, grog-swilling PIRATE you mean. I don't think hygiene would be one of his priorities. As for the cash he says himself "It took me a lot of time to get all this". Probably means he wen't through some serious hard work and straight to questing for the Big Whoop.

Huh?

mi2.jpg

If you look at the source sprite in one of the above posted images, or at this image of the 'big' Guybrush sprite (which is less ambiguous, so you can tell they aren't folds), you can see Guybrush's jacket is tattered along the bottom. There are a series of vertical rips through which you can see his black pants.

Calling his jacket 'filthy' was conjecture. But MI2's Guybrush was certainly not a sharp-dressed man.

Haha, I guess you guys really aren't into V.1. It's still my favorite. V.3 is too stately like for my tastes. I get the feeling V.1 would have been nicer if the eyes were further apart, but I'm really liking that build and nasty stubble. I think it conveys the tough pirate facade nicely.

Yeah, so not into the horseface. I mean, it worked within CMI in a way, even if Guybrush's look was changed somewhat drastically. I just don't think every Monkey Island game since CMI should attempt bridge the gap in his look, which I feel everyone has been trying to do since, Telltale included.

Another minor annoyance I just remembered: Dominic's take on his conversation with Rap Scalion... I always thought it was quite a sombre moment in the game (and the music really helped add that atmosphere), but Guybrush is extremely bubbly and happy. I would have preferred it to be a little more low-key, not depressing, just sombre.

In the Escape from Monkey Island intro, it's suggested that Guybrush swam, or was ship-wrecked, before Monkey Island 1... in any case he crawls onto land gasping "I want to be a pirate."

He also crawls onto Monkey Island in that way later on in the game -- and in SoMI he was shot out of a cannon. So Guybrush doesn't usually arrive on islands in the conventional way (the biggest exception being the island hopping in Mi2).

For that matter, how did he get to Mêlée? Roped himself a couple of sea turtles.

This made me laugh.

I think the point is that it doesn't really matter how he got there. Like, does it really affect the story? If it did, the writers would have spent more time on it.

Another minor annoyance I just remembered: Dominic's take on his conversation with Rap Scalion... I always thought it was quite a sombre moment in the game (and the music really helped add that atmosphere), but Guybrush is extremely bubbly and happy. I would have preferred it to be a little more low-key, not depressing, just sombre.

Hey, I completely forgot about this, but you're right. I felt the same exact tone as you in the original game as you. I guess I didn't remember upon playing the remake that Guybrush seemed pretty cheerful to someone who died in a gas explosion. I always felt that Guybrush felt a little sorry for Rapp.

For that matter, how did he get to Mêlée? Roped himself a couple of sea turtles.

This is the best explanation. Sounds exactly like something fancy pants Guybrush would do.

I know how no one's using this thread anymore, but was anyone bothered that whenever Largo entered a scene, (like in the bar or in his room) Largo's theme overlapped with the background music for a few seconds until the background music reached the correct transition point?

Hmm, I never noticed that before, but that does sound bothersome. They were probably trying to transition. Was it fixed in the patch?

Archived