Home

Kansas Church Protests Comic-Con as Idol Worship

Astrotoy7

It's comforting to know that deluded zealots arent confined to any particular religion!

The Kansas based Westboro Baptist Church is heading over to San Diego to protest against Comic-Con, labelling it as "Idol Worship"

source

If these people would spend even some of the energy that they spend on these comic books, reading the Bible, well no high hopes here. They have turned comic book characters into idols, and worship them they do! Isaiah 2:8 Their land also is full of idols; they worship the work of their own hands, that which their own fingers have made: 9 And the mean man boweth down, and the great man humbleth himself: therefore forgive them not. It is time to put away the silly vanities and turn to God like you mean it. The destruction of this nation is imminent - so start calling on Batman and Superman now, see if they can pull you from the mess that you have created with all your silly idolatry.

Reading up on Westboro, it seems like they are quite outspoken on contriversial topics, even theirsite URL is somewhat unpleasant.

An a non-Christian, all I can offer is that these folks are the equivalent of those whacky Islamic clerics that western news sources like to quote.

I am quite certain Westboro is not representative of the feeling of any majority of Christians, and next time you hear from a whacky Islamic cleric, ask that you keep that in mind ;)

If any of you are going to Comic-con, express your First Amendment rights and give these guys the finger on behalf of all comic book fans worldwide :thmbup1:

mtfbwya

Isn't the Baptist church another of those fundamentalist churches? If yes, I think we should expect no less from them. Just ignore them as I do.

Anyway, as a catholic christian, I'm not related to those guys and don't want to.

I continue to remain oblivious as to how worshipping idols is any different from worshipping the Christian God.

Keep looking.

Meh. I hate comic-con too. But I hate it because it's full of annoying dweebs who can't hold a conversation. :wonder:

@OT: They just need to take a moment, and remove the sticks from their butts.

I continue to remain oblivious as to how worshipping idols is any different from worshipping the Christian God.

Im with you Sabrez, an idol is an idol. The only thing is that most people at Comic-Con will readily admit Spiderman and his powers have little bearing on the physical world :thmbup1:

mtfbwya

Last time I checked there wasn't any Church of Marvel or somesuch, so these guys can go **** themselves.

Technically, the Christian God is not represented as an image/idol, so we aren't worshipping a representation of God, but God Himself.

Of course the Church messed up this concept by creating innumerable posters and statues of Jesus everywhere. :fist:

Doesn't the Westboro Baptist Church consist of about thirty people, most of whom are the family of Fred Phelps, the "pastor"? Isn't it also the "God hates fags" church, with the signs at soldiers' funerals, etc?

Correct, sir! As a military person going to Comic-Con this year, I'll just have to hope for food poisoning from poorly packed hate lunchboxes.

These Westboro morons should be gagged, bound, locked in a very large trunk and shipped to Antarctica. The right to free speech is one of the founding principles of the United States but these no talent a**clowns abuse it to the highest degree.

*edit: and furthermore...they are a hate group of the worst kind along the same lines as Al Qaeda and other extremist groups as they use God as an excuse for their discrimination, and while I'm sure Comicon will ignore them completely the fact that they continue to assemble near the funerals of men and women who died protecting their freedom to be jackasses carrying disparaging signs and shouting things at the loved ones of dead soldiers disgusts me.

*end rant*

Technically, the Christian God is not represented as an image/idol, so we aren't worshipping a representation of God, but God Himself.

Of course the Church messed up this concept by creating innumerable posters and statues of Jesus everywhere. :fist:

Well yes, that, and also the fact that idol worshippers aren't actually worshipping a little stone figure, but the more powerful deity the stone figure is supposed to represent. Offerings made to the stone figure, are therefore, representative of your devotion to the grande deity de hugeness.

This is something that has long been misunderstood by Abrahamic religions and has ended up with them condemning idol worship, when it is no different from a more visually represented version of their own religion.

Here's an idea: put them and Al-Qaeda in a pit and watch them fight to the death. :dev14:

But seriously, these guys are lower than some of the worst criminals. I swear, I'd give them the finger and yell F-bombs at them in front of my parents - never mind that I'll get punished for it.

Maybe we should let Jon Stewart get his choir and start singing "Go F*** Yourselves!" to their faces...

The man, and his family of inbred lunatics are clearly idiots.

Doesn't the Westboro Baptist Church consist of about thirty people, most of whom are the family of Fred Phelps, the "pastor"? Isn't it also the "God hates fags" church, with the signs at soldiers' funerals, etc?

He also runs the website godhatessweden.com.

Fortunately we need not worry about him infecting the UK with his stupidity - I seem to remember the last time he tried to enter the UK he was threatened with arrest, along with any members of his 'Church', and he was subsequently banned from entering the UK.

He should be strung up and shot, along with any other Baptists if this is how they see Christianity.

There are few things more dangerous than a bored Baptist.

Hey I'm Baptist, and I'm usually bored reading threads like this.:xp:

This one is particular funny to me as Fred Phelps worships attention. Little hypocritical of him to have his cult protest Comic-Con for idol worship. Hate to write this, but it is true; Westboro “Baptist” is the one group where I am rooting for the Kool-Aid.

Good job Astrotoy7 at helping give Mr. Fred Phelps and followers get the attention they so desperately crave.:thmbup1:

Good job Astrotoy7 at helping give Mr. Fred Phelps and followers get the attention the attention they so desperately crave.:thmbup1:

lmao... thats right mimartin, its always the muslim guys fault. How Texan of you :D

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED[/aircraftcarrier]

mtfbwya

Ignore the Westboro idiots, please. I used to live in Topeka where they're based. The 'pastor' has been defrocked by the Baptist church and kicked out, and he's a giant nut. There are about 4 large families in the church, and all they do is run around trolling about how 'God hates fags' and picket at the funerals of soldiers they even suspect are gay. It's horrendous what they do. They are absolutely unreasonable even with the most reasoned of arguments. They have chosen their path. They are a tiny group of people who love to make a ton of noise.

His views are not in line with any of the Baptist conventions. Anyone who wishes to know what the Baptist faith is all about can read the tenets of faith and rules and by-laws of major Baptist organizations like the North American Baptist association and the Southern Baptist Convention.

The only reason they haven't had their children taken away from them and put into foster care is because Kansas is too afraid of legal action from them. Half the people there have gotten law degrees, and they sue at the drop of a hat for the most ridiculous reasons. The state finally got the gumption up to disbar Fred Phelps, but his daughter just continues his work.

DON'T visit their site, DON'T even talk to them. They only get more traction with increased attention and site counts. mimartin is right, they absolutely crave attention, and they try to get it any way they can by saying the most outrageous and controversial things they can. This is not a religious issue, it's a psychological and pathological issue with a very small group of very disturbed individuals. It has absolutely nothing to do with Islam, Christianity, or any other flavor of religion and everything to do with their group narcissism.

The best thing you can possibly do is ignore them.

What?! Nobody can hate Sweden, not even God.
One thing you can say about Westbro - they hate everyone. Homosexuals are their favorite target, but they also gone after Jews, Catholics, Orthodox Christians, Hinduism and most every country on earth including the United States.

but they also gone after Jews,

They seem to forget that the Jews are God's chosen people, and that the rest of us Christians are just getting the table scraps. Not including those loud mouthed *censored*.

It would be most amusing if some returning soldiers found out about the funeral picketing and decided to get even.

Archived