Home

Star Wars: Dark Forces

GavSalkeld

There's a utility called ConMan which lets you rip all the files from the Dark Forces containers. Its homepage, darkjedi.com, seems to be down so I uploaded the latest version I have here: http://s-island.mixnmojo.com/stuff/conman_09a.zip

The General MIDI soundtrack is saved as GMD files in one of the container files. They should be regular MIDI files so just change the extension to mid after you've extracted them.

Incidentally, if anyone has a newer version of ConMan, I'd like to get a copy. :)

Thats great, thanks so much. Always good to hear from other rippers.

Do the GMDs have file names or will I need to retitle them? I havent played it in ages.

Also, any idea how I can go about making them into WAV files for burning to a CD?

Many thanks, S-Island.

They have some simple names with numbers after them. FIGHT-XXX and STALK-XXX is the level music while BOSS-XXX contain the music played when you get close to the bosses. The rest of the files contain cutscene music.

Oh, and there's also GROOVE, SMOFFICE, and SURFIN. That's music from Sam & Max Hit the Road which they for some reason included in the resource files.

By the way, I checked my files again and it looks like they were originally in format 2. It's a very unusual MIDI format where each track is completely separate from each other and should not be played together like in a regular format 1 MIDI file. I haven't found any sequencers that support it and Cakewalk Pro Audio tends to crash when it tries to open them. You can convert a format 2 MIDI file to regular format 1 files with GNMIDFMT: http://www.gnmidi.com/gnmidfmten.htm

It has this annoying nagscreen if you don't register it, but at least it works. :)

The General MIDI soundtrack is saved as GMD files in one of the container files. They should be regular MIDI files so just change the extension to mid after you've extracted them.

In fact, that's not right. The GMD files are MIDI files with some special header added. They are Mode 2 Midi files with SysEx commands to trigger the iMUSE system (to change to Stalk/Fight music, for instance).

Tools to extract Dark Forces resources can be found here:

http://www.df-21.net/downloads/utilities.html

GMIDI ought be the tool that you need.

Can you help me with titling tracks once I have the MIDIs ripped please? Maybe we can do this via PM?

The midis for different levels are, IIRC, as following:

StalkXX = Stalk music (the standard music played during a level)

FightXX = Fight music (game changes to it when enemies are alarmed)

BossXX = Boss music (not used)

Then there are different cutscene music cues, which have individual names and are triggered from within LANDRU cutscenes.

Thanks for the info. I meant can you give me proper track names, as in the levels they apply to?

Well, that's rather linear. The number in StalkXX or FightXX is as is:

1. The Death Star Plans - Operation Skyhook: Part II
  2. Talay: Tak Base, After The Massacre
  3. Anoat City - The Subterranean Hideout
  4. The Planet Fest: Imperial Weapons Research Faciliy
  5. Gromas Mines - The Blood Moon
  6. Imperial Detention Facility, Orinackra: Crix Madine's Fate
  7. Ramsees Hed Docking Port, Cal-Seti - Deadly Cargo
  8. Robotics Construction Facility, Anteevy - Ice Station Beta
  9. Nar Shaddaa, the Vertical City: The Death Mark
  10. Jabba the Hutt's ship: Jabba's Revenge
  11. Imperial City, Coruscant - The Imperial Mask
  12. Imperial Fuel Station, Ergo - Smuggler's Hijack
  13. The Executor - The Stowaway
  14. The Arc Hammer - The Dark Awakening

Its been a while since I played it and havent had time to get it out yet, but I recognise some of those titles. In each case, are they the level names or are they names you gave to them?

They are the "long" level names from the briefing headlines.

Archived