Home

Excited! Nostalgic MI fan discovers Tales of MI!

GriswoldFanDan

Hi all! I am new to this site and so thrilled I found it! What a fantastic MI shrine :) I love it!

I found it while having a nostalgic moment; looking for MI music to bolster my music collection. Not only did I find that on this site but I also learned about the Tales of MI!!

How excited am I?!

Thank you to everyone both here and at telltale for keeping the flame of MI burning and with vigour!

I have one question though... I notice that the tales of MI are released in "episodes" and right now, all the episodes appear to have been released now... Is that right?

I am in the UK so I am assuming I can get it on my Wii as outlined on the tell-tale games website?

If I get it on WiiWare, does that version include all the released versions?

Sorry for all the questions - really pleased I found this resource and really grateful to the developers of it!

:thmbup1:

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Awesome, welcome!

That sounds a lot like my story from fairly recently, too. I played Monkey island 3 and 4 with my dad when I was really, really little, and totally forgot about it until I saw an add for the Special Edition releases at a comic con a few months ago, and I just got totally obsessed from there.

I can say for sure that yes, there are five episodes to Tales of MI, and it is complete. But I don't know the answers to your other questions, sorry.

Welcome to the forums, GriswoldFanDan!

It is true that all five episodes have been released (as Rosefull said), and together they make up one whole Monkey Island 5 (a bit like chapters making up a whole book).

If you get the episodes on WiiWare, you have to buy them individually for 1,000 pts each (based on http://www.telltalegames.com/monkeyisland/platforms since I haven't actually done this)

Tales of Monkey Island is also available on Mac, PC, and the Playstation 3. These versions are significantly less compressed than the Wii version, so if you want the best graphics and loading times (depending on the strength of your PC/Mac/if you have a PS3)then I would not go for the Wii version.

Has anyone here played the Wii version? Is it worth getting?

There are also free demo versions for PC and Mac owners.

Ooh I didn't know that about the Wii version..... Does the compression affect anything other than load times and graphics?

Can the PC version be bought in the UK?

I can handle slow loading times and slightly inferior graphics on the Wii as long as the Wii version isn't cut down in terms of story lines or features?

Thanks for the warm welcome :)

Just read some more info about the Wii version and have decided to opt for the PC version and will plug it up to my big telly, thus get the same experience of the Wii :)

I thought the Wii version was like a good version but I have read some sad stories about the wii version... enough to put me off wii and go for PC... :) now just have to source where I can get hold of it in the UK! :D

I've sourced it!!!

http://www.direct2drive.co.uk/8226/product/Buy-Tales-of-Monkey-Island-Download

Awesome! I trust this site is a legitimate site? It looks it.... They are offering it for download...

Can the PC version be bought in the UK?

I can handle slow loading times and slightly inferior graphics on the Wii as long as the Wii version isn't cut down in terms of story lines or features?

Yes, it can be bought anywhere in the world (it's downloadable from the internet from Steam or directly from Telltale -- http://www.telltalegames.com/store/monkeyisland). You can also get a version on DVD, and they do ship to the UK (http://www.telltalegames.com/store/tomi-season-standard-dvd)

You can also get it from Direct 2 Drive, and that is legit.

As for the wii version: nothing cut out (so far as I know), but the music is MIDI so sounds a bit more basic (but good for nostaligia).

Awww well i downloaded, installed and booted!

However the game is realllly laggy!

My PC specs are pretty good:

CPU = Intel COre 2 Duo CPU T5800 @ 2Ghz

Memory = 4GB RAM

Graphics = Intel Mobile 965 Express Chipset (358 MB)

Direct X Version 11

Operating System: Windows 7

These should be good enough surely?!

Looks like a decent computer from those specs... but even a decent computer will have to tweak the settings a bit. Chosing a lower resolution will also help. I found that 640x480 looked terrible, but 800x600 was fine.

I must admit, is it me, is the demo not really as funny as the rest of the game, from playing the demo alone, it sucked, specifically the graphics, and the control scheme was wierd (i'm playing on the PC here)! EMI was much better than the demo, especially the voice of lechuck in the TMI demo, was Awful! I'm hoping that if i get the full game that it will be much better than the demo.

I must admit, is it me, is the demo not really as funny as the rest of the game, from playing the demo alone, it sucked, specifically the graphics, and the control scheme was wierd (i'm playing on the PC here)! EMI was much better than the demo, especially the voice of lechuck in the TMI demo, was Awful! I'm hoping that if i get the full game that it will be much better than the demo.

Just try and give it a chance. The controls seem really odd at first, but it gets easier. And don't worry about LeChuck's voice, it's just someone different in the first part for some reason, but it changes back to the original VA later. And there's some good humor in there if you give it some more time.

It's not perfect, and of course not to be compared to the old games, but it's still worthwhile to play.

Why can't it be compared to the old games? Seemed pretty old school to me; at the very least better than CMI and EMI.

Also, Earl Boen re-recorded lines for the first episode for the DVD release.

Why can't it be compared to the old games? Seemed pretty old school to me; at the very least better than CMI and EMI.

Also, Earl Boen re-recorded lines for the first episode for the DVD release.

Totally, I put it about on the same plane as CMI and even SMI, and yeah, it's much better than EMI haha. I was thinking of like MI2:LR I guess when I wrote it. Or... well, I don't really know what I was thinking.

You don't need THAT great a computer to run it on full spec. When I first played through TMI it was on a computer which was mid range when I bought the components, two years previously. It's only the graphics card that's letting you down here, on-board graphics are never particularly powerful, but even if you got a fairly affordable mid-low range graphics card now, it'd probably run fine.

The good news is that it scales pretty well, it's not one of those games which has graphics scaling options but looks unplayable beyond a certain point, even way down low it looks acceptable.

Totally, I put it about on the same plane as CMI and even SMI, and yeah, it's much better than EMI haha. I was thinking of like MI2:LR I guess when I wrote it. Or... well, I don't really know what I was thinking.

What has everyone got against EMI? I'd say it was around equal as CMI.

Archived