Home

Ground Zero Mosque

jrrtoken

(Or how the global Muslim community is subjecting Islamic jurisprudence in Manhattan)

Yep, that's right, us Muslims are a crafty folk. For over a millennia we've been scheming to suppress the world under one, united caliphate. Hell, 9/11 was a good revival, but we've taken some pointers from our Jewish brethren in Lichtenstein and their global banking array, and we've gone legit. So, to broadcast our dominion, we're building a thirteen-story mosque over the graveyard of the World Trade Center. Just like the siege of Jerusalem and the ruin of the Temple Mount, is there not a better rallying cry for our fellow Muslim brothers to rise and exterminate the Christian infidels than the raising of a spire upon the skeletal corpse of the American capitalist system?

I always knew you had it in you. :thmbup1:

Thoughts, gentlemen?

There are no girlz on teh interwebz?

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply
would it not be unreasonable to say that this controversy is all rooted in coincidental real estate
Location, Location, Location. With 6 subway lines and the South Ferry all within reasonable walking distance, I'd say the location has more to do with conveniences than being coincidental.

There are no girlz on teh interwebz?
Of course not; what a preposterous notion! o_Q
Location, Location, Location. With 6 subway lines and the South Ferry all within reasonable walking distance, I'd say the location has more to do with conveniences than being coincidental.
Yeah, that too. I really meant that it's probably not agenda-motivated for the mosque to be in such proximity to the WTC, and if it was, it's probably not malcontented.

Of course not; what a preposterous notion!

Yeah, Jae, everyone knows that the only girlz on teh interwebz are always in scantilly clad images. :devsmoke: The rest of 'em are just dirty old pervs that occasionally get caught by Chris Hansen. ;)

As to the center, it's a bad PR move no matter where you come down on the issue. If not for the attack on the Towers, it would likely be a non-issue in the end.

While I'm not affected directly by this, I can see why they oppose it so much. The best thing they could have done was an inter-faith community center, where ALL faiths are respected. Being in close proximity to the WTC location was probably at most "Bad Form" but not further than that. I mean if an extremist Christian group blew up an abortion clinic, I would consider it bad form for them to build a Christian Community center right near by...

Would it be bad form to have a U.S. Army recruiter located near the Oklahoma City National Memorial due to the Alfred P Murrah Federal being destroyed by one former U.S. Army Soldier, Timothy James McVeigh?

Not really, McVeigh was no longer a part of the Army. And the Army is an arm of the Fed... you know the ones McVeigh was mad at. Now, if all the terrorists had denounced Islam, and or the muslim faith altogether, then we'd be comparing apples with apples. Instead you're comparing Apples with Cheetos.

I think all we are discussing here is fruit and cereals. We are blaming an entire group for what one a few idiots did. We scream to high heaven about freedom and our pride in the constitution, then turn around and flush the First Amendment down the toilet when someone uses those freedom granted by it violates our delicate sensitivities.

Funny I thought the only problem people had with building the Mosque was it was too close to ground zero, guess that isn’t the only reason. Planned Temecula Valley mosque draws opposition Seems 2771 miles is still a little to close to ground zero. :rolleyes:

Funny I thought the only problem people had with building the Mosque was it was too close to ground zero, guess that isn’t the only reason. Planned Temecula Valley mosque draws opposition Seems 2771 miles is still a little to close to ground zero. :rolleyes:
There's more than that; Tennessee is also facing the presence of a new "Islamic training center", or at least that's what a congressional candidate Lou Ann Zeleniak calls the proposed Islamic Center of Murfressboro.
"Until the American Muslim community find it in their hearts to separate themselves from their evil, radical counterparts, to condemn those who want to destroy our civilization and will fight against them, we are not obligated to open our society to any of them," Zelenik says in the statement.
Yeah, that kinda already happened immediately after 9/11... or maybe that's just what they want me to believe.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5jpkCpfgvAUdm2qAsTfLt60TGfn_gD9GHVD6O2

http://www.tennessean.com/article/D4/20100625/NEWS01/6250319/Sign+at+future+mosque+site+vandalized+again

http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/07/15/tennessee.mosque.controversy/

"In Islam, a mosque means 'We have conquered this country,'" one man told CNN affiliate WTVF. "And where are they? They're in the center of Tennessee. They're going to say, 'We have conquered Tennessee.'"

And everyone's favorite sentient megaphone Sarah Palin has entered the fray...

Peace-seeking Muslims, pls understand, Ground Zero mosque is UNNECESSARY provocation; it stabs hearts. Pls reject it in interest of healing
Sarah Palin, I'm truly sorry for being so irresponsible for the behavior of my 7 million, American Muslims hive-mates. I'll be sure to not utilize my constitutional right to freely practice my religion so wantonly again.

Sarah Palin shouldn't be allowed to speak....ever. I can't even begin to speak to the ignorance the speakers of those quotes exhibited and this is the problem I have with way too many of my fellow Americans. Not that they exhibit freedom of speech...by all means speak, but please I beg you, think before you do so or at least do a little research.

*sigh* I suppose it's probably asking too much....at any rate perhaps someday who worships what religion where won't matter any more but I'm not holding my breath for it to be anytime soon..cause I might die if I did that.

As long as it complies with zoning laws, which it does, to my knowledge, let them build it. Yeah, some extremists will see it as a mark of victory, but they'd get the same propaganda value from railing against the tyranny of the great satan if we didn't let it get built.

The funny thing is, they wouldn't get any propaganda value at all from it if we hadn't started calling it the Ground Zero mosque. It's far enough away that if a big deal hadn't been made out of it, the extremists probably wouldn't have even realized the proximity.

I think all we are discussing here is fruit and cereals. We are blaming an entire group for what one a few idiots did. We scream to high heaven about freedom and our pride in the constitution, then turn around and flush the First Amendment down the toilet when someone uses those freedom granted by it violates our delicate sensitivities.

I call it bad form. But don't see any real problem with it. I certainly wouldn't protest it being built. Sorry if you thought that about me. Bad form is nothing but me saying, "Meh you should have thought more about it but.. Whatever..."

As for the other one... Some people just don't understand that not all Muslims are terrorists. But then are you saying they shouldn't be allowed to protest the mosque being built?

As long as it complies with zoning laws, which it does, to my knowledge, let them build it. Yeah, some extremists will see it as a mark of victory, but they'd get the same propaganda value from railing against the tyranny of the great satan if we didn't let it get built.

The funny thing is, they wouldn't get any propaganda value at all from it if we hadn't started calling it the Ground Zero mosque. It's far enough away that if a big deal hadn't been made out of it, the extremists probably wouldn't have even realized the proximity.

Right on. The name has a bit to do with it, I'd say more than proximity.

I call it bad form. But don't see any real problem with it. I certainly wouldn't protest it being built. Sorry if you thought that about me. Bad form is nothing but me saying, "Meh you should have thought more about it but.. Whatever..."

Also QFT.

Yup. I can't help but think that the motives behind this project are extremely shrewd.

I do have a problem with this.

It's not that the majority of Muslims are extremist, it's that the Muslim extremists are Muslim. The Mosque would very much be empowering for their cause as much as it would be empowering for moderate Muslims.

Are you implying that there's no such thing as extremist Christians or Jews or really anything else?

Think about it for a moment. The goal of the Muslim extremists is to bring about a global caliphate of Islam.

No... thats the goal of some Muslim extremists. Some want other religions out of their Holy Land. Some could care less about a world caliphate and would be fine if Russia stopped bombing them. Some would be fine with just their own country as a caliphate, undisturbed by the west. Some of them want to kill the Sunnis. Some want to kill the Shiites I know the media makes terrorism seem really simple, but terrorists are not in an international league of EVVVVIIIILLLLLLLL. They dont all share the same goals.

It doesn't really matter if moderate Muslims are opposed to this' date=' because if we actually had moderate Muslims opposing Muslim extremists then Muslim extremists would be less of a problem, no?[/quote']

Youre completely right. Us God fearing Christians are the only ones fighting the terrorists. Its a good thing Christian Pakistan is aiding us. And thank goodness Christian Kuwait let us hang out there before we invaded Iraq. And our military, good thing its 100% non Muslims.

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/38612000/ns/us_news-the_new_york_times

So, it looks like NY isn't the only place with opposition to Mosques.

Ugh, this makes me sick. People are saying Islam is the enemy and we'll all be Muslim sooner or later. The utter hypocrisy of these guys is just plain disgusting: you can follow whatever religion you want - as long as it's Christianity.

I'm going to quote the Daily Show here:

Go **** yourselves!

The entire argument in NYC would be completely legitimate if it wasn't for

A) every other mosque protest;

B) the conclusion that every Muslim holds the same outlook as their comrades within a radical minority;

C) the portrayal of a sample population of an entire religion and its adherents as a monolithic bloc by using sweeping, vague terms;

D) the irrational fear of the subjugation of American civilization by said religion, akin to antisemitism and McCarthyism;

E) the view that the U.S. Constitution seems to make an exception with this religious group, questioning whether even natural-born citizens should be allowed to exercise their natural rights as taxpayers.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

And everything else isn't? I think you just want to prove me wrong just because you happen to disagree with me.

You mean I'm debating an issue with you in a debating forum? :p

In this case, I'm not. I'm merely pointing out that you tend to get your info from the most left-leaning sources available, and only from them. In my experience, the truth is usually somewhere in the middle, so the best course of action would probably be to listen to both sides and then make up your own mind. Anything's better than letting some propagandist hatemonger do your thinking for you.

I believe that it's also worth pointing out that you'll also get a lot more adult types, such as myself, to actually take you seriously if you present your argument like this:

The entire argument in NYC would be completely legitimate if it wasn't for

A) every other mosque protest;

B) the conclusion that every Muslim holds the same outlook as their comrades within a radical minority;

C) the portrayal of a sample population of an entire religion and its adherents as a monolithic bloc by using sweeping, vague terms;

D) the irrational fear of the subjugation of American civilization by said religion, akin to antisemitism and McCarthyism;

E) the view that the U.S. Constitution seems to make an exception with this religious group, questioning whether even natural-born citizens should be allowed to exercise their natural rights as taxpayers.

instead of like this:

<snip>

Ugh, this makes me sick.

<snip>

Go **** yourselves!

My opinion on the issue? While I think that the choice of where to build this mosque is indeed a shrewd one, there is no reason why they should be prevented from building it.

Archived