Home

Maniac Mansion PC help - Getting Sound working.

bergqvistjl

So guys, I have an original copy of maniac mansion (enhanced PC version), and it works fine, but i get no sound when i play it in real DOS (on an old pc with an AWE64 Gold ISA soundcard, correctly initialised with the correct MIDI soundfont), despite the fact that MI1, MI2 and fate, and full throttle, work with the midi sounds, so i know its not a problem with that. however when playing the game on my modern PC in SCUMMVM, i get sound, why is that? surely on my DOS pc i should get *something*, is it because the sounds/music are not midi but only from the internal speaker? that would make sense i think as my motherboard doesnt have one. P.S. if all your going to post is "why are u using real dos, just emulate it" don't bother. this is a project of mine. Basically, is there proper midi music for maniac mansion, or was the sounds only provided through the internal PC speaker?

I don't know the answer to your question, but I do think it's awesome that you're using real DOS. Yeah, you can emulate on a modern PC very easily, but it's not the same as running it natively -- on one of those big CRT monitors as well, I shouldn't wonder! I wish I'd kept one of my old computers just for running old games on (then again, where would I put it?)

Hopefully someone else knows the answer to your question, though. I imagine that you're right in thinking that you need an internal speaker for your particular version at least. :(

I think it was actually internal speaker only, just because I remember playing early mornings when really young and the internal speaker for that PC was super loud and I couldn't control it. Maybe there's an adlib option, but I want to say either way it sounded like a internal speaker.

I think it is, well ive just bought an internal speaker off ebay so ill see how it goes. Also the monitor i use is CRT, 12" 640x480 native res (tho it can do 800x600 at a push) so minimises pixelation.

Archived