Home

Do you want to know the secret of Monkey Island?

Haggis

Well, do you want to know the secret?  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Well, do you want to know the secret?

• Yes
    • No
    • I don't really care

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think knowing the secret would make us any happier, the only reason we still talk about it is that it IS a secret. Telling it would definitely ruin the mojo surrounding it. And we ain't called the International House of Mojo for no reason, are we?

The MI-fanbase without the mojo of the secret would be like an car without a whip, or like Indiana Jones without wheels...

No I don't. I don't think it's a secret that needs to be discovered. The whole Monkey Island series is based on it, so giving it away would mean the end of the series; I prefer to keep it hidden and safe... until Ron Gilbert (or his family) write it on his grave.

Anyway, I'm sure most of it has been discovered, if not all. Even with the wildest explanation, it must be related with the events that happened in 1 & 2, with a "real" 3rd part being just explanatory; therefore it surely has to do with the amusement park, the connected islands, a boy's dreams, LeChuck's spell... plus whatever Ron would want to add to the final game to make it spicy and unexpected.

What if the Secret's already been revealed, and we just didn't know it? Like, the whole Voodoo Lady debacle revealed in TMI could have been the Secret (okay, probably not, but you get what I mean.)

No, it's been said before, before TMI was released that they would not reveal with the secret.

No, it's been said before, before TMI was released that they would not reveal with the secret.

No, I know, that was just an example. Like, wouldn't it be funny if the Secret was that we knew the Secret all along? Or something along those lines. It was just a random thought, haha.

It's a MacGuffin.

I completely agree with this, but I'd still like to know what it is. People who are expecting something super serious and well-thought out might be disappointed, though. People often forget that the whole game was a bit of a joke and the use of such a blatant plot device was parody.

Remember, Guybrush knows that he's in a game.

files.php?file=monkey_island_never_pay_more_363856374.jpg

I think the secret is that Guybrush is not Guybrush. He's playing a virtual reality game. How do you think he magically ended up at the top of Melee Island? What's with all the electricity? Pop culture references? It's kind of like TRON, or the Star Trek Holodeck.

pie.png

loom_advert_in_monkey_island.png

The Voodoo Lady is the person keeping an eye on Guybrush, making sure he doesn't beat the game (by finally defeating LeChuck once and for all).

voodooladywallpaper-e916c12a27.jpg

Remember, Guybrush knows that he's in a game.

files.php?file=monkey_island_never_pay_more_363856374.jpg

I think the secret is that Guybrush is not Guybrush. He's playing a virtual reality game. How do you think he magically ended up at the top of Melee Island? What's with all the electricity? Pop culture references? It's kind of like TRON, or the Star Trek Holodeck.

pie.png

loom_advert_in_monkey_island.png

The Voodoo Lady is the person keeping an eye on Guybrush, making sure he doesn't beat the game (by finally defeating LeChuck once and for all).

voodooladywallpaper-e916c12a27.jpg

Heh, I came up with an uncannily similar theory to that a while ago, only instead of it being a virtual reality game, the secret was the Monkey Island is a video game. I thought about the voodoo lady like you said and a few other things to back it up. This sort of thing would be pretty cool in my opinion.

I do think that all the anachronisms and references are just jokes, though. The secret, like RemiO said, is just a plot device which, in my opinion, was largely making fun of stories that use such plot devices. That's why it was so in-your-face and silly. If you're looking for a secret that doesn't follow that trend and is really sixth-sensey then you'll probably be disappointed.

^Tentative speculation^

If you're looking for a secret that doesn't follow that trend and is really sixth-sensey then you'll probably be disappointed.

This is actually a great reason to not reveal the secret. Right now you can just make up your own secret, making it as outlandish or as mundane as you want it to be. If it would be revealed, it would almost certainly be a disappointment, since the chances of it agreeing with your own views are pretty slim.

I believe that the Secret was revealed in the first game, but it was just missed by everyone. I think that the Secret is that there are hell-ish catacombs inside the Giant Monkey Head. I think that then, since everyone missed the Secret due to it not being obvious enough, Gilbert and the team just went along with it and pretended that they never revealed the Secret at all. Then again, I could be completely wrong.

I believe that the Secret was revealed in the first game, but it was just missed by everyone. I think that the Secret is that there are hell-ish catacombs inside the Giant Monkey Head. I think that then, since everyone missed the Secret due to it not being obvious enough, Gilbert and the team just went along with it and pretended that they never revealed the Secret at all. Then again, I could be completely wrong.

Y'know, that makes sense. The passage to Hell is pretty secret-ish.

• 2 weeks later...
Y'know, that makes sense. The passage to Hell is pretty secret-ish.

Agreed. We may have been scratching our heads all this time thinking on a big SECRET for the whole saga when, actually, it could be that there was one for each game. That makes sense if you analyse how different is MI2 from the first one in almost every aspect. It looks like as if Gilbert thought everything again after the success of SMI to create a much bigger and somewhat baffling secret. And considering what he said on interviews about doing whatever was necessary at LucasArts to avoid being fired at the time, it seems more plausible to believe this theory rather than that of a young programmer designing a whole pirate saga from the beginning.

I mean, for sure LucasArts gave Gilbert a tight schedule (and a small budget) at the time to make SMI, and everyone knows how hard is for an artist to stick with a schedule. Was there time to imagine a whole series of games? :raise:

Of course, once he succeded with the first one, he was given a much bigger budget and plenty of time to create a sequel that matched up to its predecessor, so he made this strange second secret that made all of us think and speak about.

Considering this, I believe that if by any chance Gilbert were to make a new installment of MI, he would tell a completely different story (with a new secret) that had nothing to do with what we saw in SMI and MI2; just like a third tale in a series of pirate-themed adventure books that only shared its main characters between its stories.

What do you think about this? It makes sense, don't you think?

For what it's worth, in the narrative hint book, it says "I still didn't discover the secret of Monkey Island..." right at the end. Not that I would call this canon, but Captain Tripps was definitely working with the team.

Archived