Home

Do you want to know the secret of Monkey Island?

Haggis

Well, do you want to know the secret?  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Well, do you want to know the secret?

• Yes
    • No
    • I don't really care

As someone who would like to know what it is, I should point out that I don't hold out ANY hope that it's something earth-shattering. I totally expect it to be something like "there's a giant monkey robot under Monkey Island". THAT kind of lame. I'd just like to know, I don't really expect it to alter anything, and I also don't really care what it is: It was only ever a plot device and a cool title, nothing more.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
We may have been scratching our heads all this time thinking on a big SECRET for the whole saga when, actually, it could be that there was one for each game.

That's almost what I was saying a while ago. There will always be another secret, no matter what you keep finding. Once something is revealed as "The Secret", there's no more mystery. I think it's more fun to sit here talking about what the secret might be, than knowing it and not having anything to talk about.

• 1 month later...

We may all be right, we may all be wrong but let's face it, Ron, Dave and Tim were just having a good time messing with their fantasy pirate world we shouldn't even ask for a secret, because it wouldn't be so surprising not after you get the mood of the game.

• 2 months later...
Agreed. We may have been scratching our heads all this time thinking on a big SECRET for the whole saga when, actually, it could be that there was one for each game. That makes sense if you analyse how different is MI2 from the first one in almost every aspect. It looks like as if Gilbert thought everything again after the success of SMI to create a much bigger and somewhat baffling secret. And considering what he said on interviews about doing whatever was necessary at LucasArts to avoid being fired at the time, it seems more plausible to believe this theory rather than that of a young programmer designing a whole pirate saga from the beginning.

I mean, for sure LucasArts gave Gilbert a tight schedule (and a small budget) at the time to make SMI, and everyone knows how hard is for an artist to stick with a schedule. Was there time to imagine a whole series of games? :raise:

Of course, once he succeded with the first one, he was given a much bigger budget and plenty of time to create a sequel that matched up to its predecessor, so he made this strange second secret that made all of us think and speak about.

Considering this, I believe that if by any chance Gilbert were to make a new installment of MI, he would tell a completely different story (with a new secret) that had nothing to do with what we saw in SMI and MI2; just like a third tale in a series of pirate-themed adventure books that only shared its main characters between its stories.

What do you think about this? It makes sense, don't you think?

funny

this is what i think happened when George Lucas made Star Wars:)

• 4 weeks later...

Archived