Home

Meteor Mess 3D

whipwarrior

Has anybody seen this? It's AMAZING! Some German MM fans have been making a completely 3-D version of Maniac Mansion. I just discovered the news from the MM Wikipedia article, and then found the website. I downloaded the demo version, which went online Feb 1st. You can play everything from the main gate up to the third floor, where green tentacle halts your progress with a funny message. This game is incredible! It really captures the ambience of the original game!

I can't wait for the final version to be released!!! :thmbup1:

If you read the infos on the website you'll notice that the version that can be downloaded is an alpha(!) version and that all characters are just dummies and will be replaced. So ... if this is an alpha version the final release will be great.

In my opinion this 3D version looks and feels really great and I can't await to see the final release. All the new features that have been added sound very interesting ... all Edisons are walking through the house ??? Cool ... imagine to be caught by Dr. Fred when he's walking to the arcades ... AND I've read somewhere in the web that there are plans to make the arcades really playable(!).

I'll keep my eyes on this ... :thmbup1: :thmbup1:

I always loved playing this game when I was a kid, and even then I found it immersive and very atmospheric, despite the pixellated graphics. It's going to be a real nostalgia trip to explore the whole mansion from the enormous telescope observatory all the way down to the scummy tiles of the 10-foot-deep radioactive swimming pool. I consider MM3D a treat for all of the die-hard fans who played the game endlessly, never tiring of it (or getting locked in the dungeon by Nurse Edna, killed by Weird Ed for nuking his poor hamster in the microwave!). That's probably the #1 trick that I can't wait to see in the new version. >:-) LOL

Yeah ... the hamster in the microwave in 3D :-)

It's really good to hear that there will be a speech version of MM3D ... I can't wait to hear Nurse Edna speaking.

Have you seen the new youtube video:

Unfortunately they only show the outside area, but if you take a closer look you'll find a lot of differences to the alpha version, e.g. a car (Dave's car???) and the mansion has a lot of changes (ivy has been added all around it and there're some broken wood trusses at the porch). I really love those changes ... looks great. Would be great to see more of the game.

@80thBest,

im a member of the team who develop that remake. Im glad to hear that the diffrences between the alpha Demo an the new video have been noticed :)

Since our Homepage has not been updated for a while now, i give you a link to some newer

screenshots, made for a German interview. The characters still have to be replaced with new better once, but the backround grafix in these screens are mostly final.

I hope you like them too.

Heres the link: http://www.gamecaptain.de/showScreen.php?bericht=4451&number=1

It's really awesome !!!

It looks so great when the lights are turned off in the mansion ... entrance hall and living room are awesome in the dark when the light comes from the candles.

In the video I have noticed that the cursor now reacts on objects ... looks great and is a nice feature.

@ernie76: On your website you stated that there was a 'hotspot function' added ... in what kind of way the objects are highlighted?

@ 80thBest:

By Pressing a key, all "usable" or interessting objects start to pulsade ( is this the right word?) in a glowy red. Looks a little bit like a red glowing heartbeat. ( Hmm why must i think about E.T. now ;P )

There are many more details to be found in our new version. There are Mothes flying around street lamps, steam comming out of pipes, waterdrops will be implemented soon, dry leaf is blown around by the wind allready and many many more small thing to make the place look more "alive".

@80thBest:

Youre right about that. Its called 3D Gamestudio an were using the A7 version but as soon as the A8 is out, we will change to the new version.

If you wanna know more about the game just read the thread you linked to the end ( 16 pages by know ).

• 2 weeks later...

Always cool to hear, that someone likes our stuff.

By the way, im searching for an Maniac Mansion related info but it seems nobody can help me with this.

I need the exact size of the Pinboard Poster that was delivered with the first US releases in 1987. If possible in cm.

I own a us first release but the poster wasnt in it and the German releases never had that Poster.

Can anyone of you tell me the size of it?

• 2 months later...
The other Project is not a Remake of the Original. It a new interpretation of the same story.

I think that both Projects ha a diffrent goal, so its not 100% possible to compare them.

Of course they can be compared! They are both based on Maniac Mansion, they both have the same characters, and they both have the same story.

They can also be contrasted. One is gritty stylized 3D, one is DOTT cartoon style. One keeps close to the original, the other changes some things.

I think the word "Gritty" dosent fit here, exept you mean the outdatet Alpha Demo.

This is an image of a newer Version, but with the old Dave Model. There is already a new Dave model wich will be replacing the one on the Picture in the final Version. ( All character models will be Replaced )

If you call that "Gritty", what ist the Dott grafix then? Its Cartoon yes, but the resolution is terrible, look at the "Dott 2" Project, were they use the same style but in much higher Resolution, wich look much better.

Heres the pic ( not a pure screenshot as you can see no inventory and so on, more a Widescreen room overview ):

18979800.jpg

Archived