Home

missing Swordmaster instult?

LogicDeLuxe

I can't find "I've got a long, sharp lesson for you to learn today." spoken by the Swordmaster. I wonder, if this insult is ever used in the SE. I loaded a savegame ready to fight the Swordmaster several times in a row, and she doesn't seem to use it. Is it possible, that they forgot to record it, and then hacked the game not to use it?

Wow, that's a big time snafu. I can tolerate the copyright omissions, and slight script changes, but missing an insult it's just too much. I mean what was the development team doing while programming this? Did they even cared at all? I'm starting to think they barely played the original to begin with.

Come to think of it. What's the answer for that one? Wasn't it "And I've got a little TIP for you. Get the POINT?"

What's the answer for that one? Wasn't it "And I've got a little TIP for you. Get the POINT?"

Yeah.

I'm quite banging my head too. I mean, due to the nature of translating, I was in the texts of SoMI:SE all the time, and... and didn't notice that the swordmaster insult was messed up and is given to three ordinary pirates.

In fact, I'm not sure now if it's in-game, maybe I heard the insult while I was listening to the sound files.

Another of Carla's lines is missing: "OK, you win."

In the SE, she says "I give up, you win!" instead.

I suspect a similar issue. This one is also recorded with random pirates, eventhough they never say this.

The script looks like this:

[0168] (46)   Var[282]++;
[016B] (9A)   Var[283] = Var[269];
[0170] (38)   if (Var[282] >= 3) {
[0177] (48)     if (Var[270] == 5) {
[017E] (94)       print(Var[270],[Text("OK, you win.")]);
[018F] (18)     } else {
[0192] (94)       print(Var[270],[Text("Wow!  You're good enough to fight the Sword Master.")]);
[01CA] (**)     }
[01CA] (18)   } else {
[01CD] (94)     print(Var[270],[Text("I give up!  You win!")]);
[01E6] (**)   }

Apparently, in Var[282], the script counts how many times you've won. If less than 3, the line "I give up! You win!" is used, but since Carla doesn't let you fight at all in this case, she won't ever say this.

Var[270] contains the actor Guybrush fights agains. This is 8 for random pirates and 5 for Carla. Thus she is the only one who ever says "OK, you win.". The available recordings are therefor never used.

At least, that's what the original game does. Obviously, the SE somehow messes with this script.

• 2 weeks later...

After testing the Russian translation, it seems there's another line that's not voiced in the SE. When we talk with Stan, one of the possilbe variants to the money question is "Uh... no more than 173 pieces of eight". BUT. There's no line like this in the speech.info, only regarding 174 and 172 pieces of eight, the 173 line is taken straight from theSCUMM version during dialogue choices, BUT, since it's not voiced, the SE version (after clicking) searches for the closest thing (speech.info is heavily based on CRC-checks), which to him, it seems, is the line "I have 371 pieces of eight". So, yeah, when we choose that line of dialogue, Guybrush says "I have 371 pieces of eight".

Actually, he should offer "Oh... no more than a hundred odd pieces of eight." if there is no exact matching voice file. This is what I will do on my patch anyway.

Another missing line is Carla's "I said:". If you ask her to repeat, she just repeats the insult without it.

Archived