Home

EMI rock/canal puzzle issue

Rosefull

I'm having a problem with the throw-the-rocks-into-the-canal puzzle on Monkey Island. I know the order is right, middle, left, left, and I know how to time the throws just right with the branches, but it never works. I never even see any little scene where a boulder flies off a cliff at all. (Well, I did the very first time, but I messed up that time.) Do I really have to get it right on the first try or like, load an old savegame or something? Or is there something I'm missing? Like, a reset trigger? I tried leaving and doing some other puzzles then coming back already. Nothing changed.

For the life of me, I can't remember. But I'm sure I didn't get it right on the very first try last time I played this game.

I'm having a problem with the throw-the-rocks-into-the-canal puzzle on Monkey Island. I know the order is right, middle, left, left, and I know how to time the throws just right with the branches, but it never works. I never even see any little scene where a boulder flies off a cliff at all. (Well, I did the very first time, but I messed up that time.) Do I really have to get it right on the first try or like, load an old savegame or something? Or is there something I'm missing? Like, a reset trigger? I tried leaving and doing some other puzzles then coming back already. Nothing changed.

For the life of me, I can't remember. But I'm sure I didn't get it right on the very first try last time I played this game.

There are several roots growing in strategic spots on the cliff face. The trick is to throw the next boulder as soon as the boulder currently rolling down the hill hits (and visibly disturbs) one of these roots.

Terrible puzzle, I know. :¬:

EDIT: Oh, wait, haha, I failed at reading comprehension, and you knew that already. But you should have the next rock already in Guybrush's hand and throw it literally as soon as a root moves. That's about all I can tell you.

If you're doing it right, the rocks should eventually collide with each other in such a manner that they divert onto other paths, with one ultimately going down the center hole.

Thanks for the advice! Oh, I swear I'm doing it right. I already had the rock in-hand and everything, but... man. I've deduced that whatever's going wrong is sometime in the later part of the puzzle; however, I still can't tell what it is. Even watching video walkthroughs isn't getting me anywhere.

EDIT: Ah-ha! Fixed. For some reason, the timing in my game was off. After some close observation, I discovered that I just had to throw one of the rocks a few seconds after the previous rock hit the branch. And I nailed it. ^^

Archived