Home

Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning

What do you get when you lock former Elder Scrolls dev Ken Rolston, D&D author R.A. Salvatore, and comic guy Todd McFarlane together in a room owned by an overpaid sports star? An RPG apparently:

http://reckoningthegame.com/

Amalur_Reckoning_RPG.jpg

I don't know much about this. Apparently it's a single player RPG spin-off set in the same world as their upcoming MMO. All signs point to it being an Elder Scrolls-style open world kind of deal, which I'm not a huge fan of. News of a new RPG franchise is always welcome though, so I'll reserve judgement on it until more info comes to light.

Debut teaser trailer:

[youtube=hd]gZ52mwNMJYI

Alt link - http://www.gametrailers.com/video/sdcc-10-kingdoms-of/702014

Some snippets from the official FAQ:

"Kingdoms of Amalur is an original fantasy universe that serves as the setting for both Reckoning and 38 Studios’ upcoming massively multiplayer game, codenamed Project Copernicus. Amalur's cultures and expansive history were created by R.A. Salvatore, and the world is being brought to life through the artistic vision of Todd McFarlane. Legendary game designer Ken Rolston provides players their first journey into Kingdoms of Amalur through the hero’s journey in Reckoning."

"Set in the Kingdoms of Amalur universe, Reckoning will offer unrivaled RPG action combat, seamlessly integrating magical and melee attacks into an innovative and visceral experience. Reckoning includes hundreds of quests, characters, creatures, weapons and spells."

"Reckoning is a single-player epic role-playing game that combines a lush open world adventure with thrilling, heart-pounding action combat."

"Reckoning will be available for the PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, and PC."

• 9 months later...

"If I was a user, and I bought a roleplaying game but got an action game, I'd go on a rampage". Um...that's when I did when I bought Dragon Age 2, I think. Anyone agree?

EDIT: I want to see what GameSpot says about this one before I ask for it for my birthday. :)

Yeah I'm pretty sure the "rampage" line was a thinly veiled swipe at DA2. The footage of the combat in his game doesn't really look all that different though if you ask me, except for the lack of fountains of blood and explosive gib-fests.

EDIT: OK, what the hell was Rolston going on about? This looks to be even more button mashy than DA2. And they have at least some blood spurting going on. Observe:

[youtube=hd]NQ4bH9cowTQ

Reminds me of Fable.

EDIT: They have now put the whole 45 min PAX demo up (from which the above was a snippet) broken into 5 parts:

[youtube=hd]DSdQq4T-oyg

[youtube=hd]56bU5FXPADA

[youtube=hd]yWU8bc-y4xA

[youtube=hd]VWwdNSBmmY8

[youtube=hd]dd2iQ-Yi-Jo

• 5 months later...

So, KOA: Reckoning. I'm still not sure what to make of this game. Every time they speak about it in an interview, it sounds pretty promising. But every time I see footage of it, it just looks like some horrible generic fantasy Fable-clone console trash. Case in point for the former: an interview at the Codex (of all places). I found VD's not so subtle attempts to put the boot in fairly humorous.

http://www.rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=242

As I said, it all sounds very promising, but it just doesn't seem to match up with some of the game footage they've shown.

Good interview. While the first few question were definitely asked in the most idiotic manner possible, the rest sounded somewhat less biased and the answers to each of them were pretty good.

Now, an extremely late comment on the PAX videos: Overall, it looks interesting. The tutorial portion wasn't very inspiring in terms of either combat or storytelling, but the impression improved as soon as I saw the first outdoor environment. Speaking of which, I think it's a big plus that their environments have quite a bit of color. As much as I want the story to be interesting, mature, gritty and whatnot, too much "serious" RPGs place their story in an equally dark and colorless world. It will be a while before anything outdoes The Witcher 2 and its environments in terms of color, detail and overall beauty, but Amalur has a plus in my book for the color, despite the Fable-like graphics.

As for the combat, as I've said - crappy-looking in the tutorial, but much more satisfying later. And honestly, if a game is going to put me in a third, or first-person perspective, I prefer direct combat control over auto-attack. RTS combat just doesn't fit with a third-person perspective. And since it's an RPG, the combat needs to be stat-based, which it is, judging from the videos. As for the over the top style of combat, there's nothing inherently wrong with that, as long as it fits the world and the character. The problem with DA2 combat (since you mentioned it in comparison) is that it switched from a more realistic and rather satisfying combat animations to over the top comic-book styled ones and they simply don't fit the world and the atmosphere established back in Origins.

I do have one negative remark about the demo and it's that the presenter talked a lot about the history of certain areas and structures outside of the game, instead of showing how we could learn about that history in the game itself. Also, the GUI is nothing to brag about, but it's functional and I suspect that the looks will be worked on after the kinks have been dealt with.

• 3 months later...

Fable / Torchlight love child?

I liked both games quite a bit, so might be worth checking out. Unfortunately with so many other games on my plate.. could very well take awhile.

Just ordered, people are coining it as 'what fable 3 should have been'

Didn't realize there were people upset about F3.. though there's bound to be dissension amongst a series.. guess I shouldn't be so surprised hehe

I really didn't have much of a gripe with F3. Was only grieved to find out I couldn't collect all the weapons without having to whore out to my friends and ask if their game version included the "such-and-such" weapon.

Don't like crap like that. :¬:

I really didn't have much of a gripe with F3. Was only grieved to find out I couldn't collect all the weapons without having to whore out to my friends and ask if their game version included the "such-and-such" weapon.

Don't like crap like that. :¬:

Considering i'm alone in my RPG lovin' 'cause all my XBL Friends are FPS lovers and such, i also hated this

Archived