Home

What are some essential PC RPGs? Strong characters are a must. Naming the obvious ones is fine :).

I also remember reading some post on this forum where a member was talking about a game that was recommended to them, and I think they said something like "All the characters are written up to the level of Kreia." IF one of you could tell me what game that was I'd be grateful.

What are some essential PC RPGs? Strong characters are a must. Naming the obvious ones is fine :).

I also remember reading some post on this forum where a member was talking about a game that was recommended to them, and I think they said something like "All the characters are written up to the level of Kreia." IF one of you could tell me what game that was I'd be grateful.

Yeah, that's Planescape: Torment. A lot of the plot elements and characters in KotOR 2 were influenced, and in some cases, outright shared from PS:T. Mask of the Betrayer, the NWN2 expansion, also has similar "deep" concepts, and is also developed by Obsidian. :)

Planescape: Torment
Wow, you actually played it? :p

Even though it is a) an old game and b) terribly unbalanced in the combat aspect, one of the best RPG's I've ever played is this one by Troika Games:

Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura

I recommend this for its deep characterization, plot that will keep you guessing until the final scenes, and "dumb" (read: hilarious) player dialogue options!

I think the obvious ones have been mentioned, I would like to throw in A Bard's Tale, which is a musical comedy RPG :)

I'd also at least add the original Dungeon Siege to that list.

Bioshock

If we're going to include customisability of weapons and armour as the base requirement for an RPG, then Assassins Creed 1 and 2 are my picks for that category.

Last but not least, Final Fantasy VII and VIII did exist on the PC, so are also on my list as an essential PC RPGs ;)

mtfbwya

The Longest Journey

DreamFall

Bioshock

Those aren't RPGs. =_=

And BioShock 2 is more of an RPG than its predecessor was (and both are still crawling toddlers compared to SS2).

TLJ and DreamFall have no role-playing elements whatsoever and are completely point-and-click adventure games (two of the finest, mind you), and if they can make it, so can Grim Fandango, Monkey Island 1, 2, 3 and Professor Layton. :carms:

@Astro: Dungeon Siege? Did you miss the part where he said he wanted "strong characters"? :p Or maybe you appreciate its minimalistic expressionism like I do? :xp:

It's not rambling when they legitimately aren't RPGs. Next thing you know someone will be suggesting COD or Half-Life. The notion of what is and isn't an RPG is a bit nebulous, but you have to draw the line somewhere. The thread is on "essential PC RPGs", not random games that have vague RPG-like qualities.

By the way, on the subject of the original Fallouts, I've just started a new playthrough of FO2 for the first time under Win 7 x64. In the past I had a hell of a time with both (but especially FO1) under XP with refresh issues and the like, but thanks to some awesome mods FO2 is running better now than it ever did. You can get everything you need in the Fallout 2 Restoration Project, over at http://www.killap.net/. Don't worry about the Unofficial Patch on the same site - it's already bundled into the RP. As well as more than 1,000 bug fixes (!!) and restored cut content, it also includes a resolution patch, so you can run it up to whatever your native res is. As with K1 though, the interface doesn't scale, so I had to drop back from 1080 to 720 so I could see wtf everything said. Damn eyes - I think I need a 40" monitor lol. There are some similar fixes for FO1, although not quite to the same extent in size and scope.

Fine, posts/list deleted if it mean that much to you all. My apologies for going out of my way to try to help.

List off what you all want; I'm done.

Since you have pepped me up back when my old thread was wrecked by silly mods, all I'm going to say is to tell you to cheer up girl! :thmbup1:

Here's the list, in no particular order:

Planescape: Torment

Baldur's Gate 1, 2

Knights of the Old Republic 1, 2

Neverwinter Nights 1, 2 (+Expansions)

Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura

Diablo 2

Deus Ex

System Shock 2

The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind

(some might add Oblivion)

Fallout 1, 2 (and for some, 3)

Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines

Gothic series

The Witcher

Rather than trot out the same old faithfuls as everyone else, might I suggest broadening your horizons to some European fare? Obviously the Gothic series and The Witcher have already been mentioned, but there are a number of RPGs from Europe that have been translated into English, some of which are quite good. A couple that spring to mind that I have played are Drakensang and Arx Fatalis. If you like Gothic there's its spiritual successor Risen, which I haven't played but is apparently not bad.

I considered adding them, but from what I know, they aren't really essential games. Not having played them, I can't say much.
They're not essential certainly, but I'd say they warrant inclusion on an RPG list more so than Diablo (or any of its clones) does.

the Diablo series is a definate. i dont even know if this can classify as an entire RPG, as some sections are RPG and others arent, Spore. the Cell, Creature and Space stages are the most RPG-like, and the Galactic Adventures expansion makes Space stage even more RPG-ish. any of the Elder Scrolls games and Fallout games. thats all i got.

Perhaps a sin to mention games you haven't played yourself, but I'll risk anyway. Wizardry 8 seems to be one of those RPG's that's mentioned in a lot of favorites from RPG developers.

Other than that, yeah, I wouldn't add Diablo + clones, Dungeon Siege and Spore to an RPG list (especially not one of essentials). And Oblivion and Fallout 3 aren't part of any essential list I'd make. I'd even dare say NWN 1 & 2 aren't really that essential, especially from a story perspective, but Mask of the Betrayer should be a must, for sure.

Nor would I add The Longest Journey and Dreamfall to it, but kudos for mentioning them anyway, Avery. ;)

• 2 months later...

Kotor 1 and 2

Neverwinter Nights 1 and 2

Akella's Pirate games (Pirates of the Caribbean (not related in any way to the movie), Age of Pirates, and City of Abandoned Ships.)

Diablo 1 and 2

Mass Effect 1 and 2

Dragon Age 1, 2 and origins

Sid Meier's Pirates

Lord of the Rings, the Third Age.

Also, NWN2 had a great storyline, better than Mask of the Betrayer.

Archived