Home

TFU Executive Producer & writer resigns from LucasArts.

Astor

Haden Blackman, Executive Producer and writer for The Force Unleashed, has left LucasArts.

Source

IGN reports that Haden Blackman, executive producer and writer for The Force Unleashed series, has resigned from his LucasArts position. IGN got confirmation from LucasArts on the news and a representative assured that the development of The Force Unleashed II will not be affected.

How true that assurance is, of course, remains to be seen.

Maybe now they can hire someone who is... well... good. And actually cares about Star Wars instead of just making "OMG SOO COOEALLL" half blown characters.

To be fair though I think he'd be good in creating stories for new franchises, where there is no canon or toes to step on. And to that I wish him well. :thmbup1:

Maybe now they can hire someone who is... well... good. And actually cares about Star Wars instead of just making "OMG SOO COOEALLL" half blown characters.

No, they're great characters. That's why the game became so popular. The problem is you and you alone. ;)

Yes, he is the only person in the world who dislikes the story of TFU, what it did with the canon, and the quality of the characters, and none of his reasons are valid even in the slightest. Good thing we can keep that in mind. :thmbup1:

why would he just all of a sudden up an leave the company??

There would have to be some type of reason, seems abit bizzare .

and what will this mean for futre star wars games??? Wasnt he kinda running the show

for eveything around there? I dont really want to wait another 5 years a star wars game :(. . . .

Yes, he is the only person in the world who dislikes the story of TFU, what it did with the canon, and the quality of the characters, and none of his reasons are valid even in the slightest. Good thing we can keep that in mind. :thmbup1:

this

No, they're great characters. That's why the game became so popular. The problem is you and you alone. ;)

Hahaha good one. There is this thing you should totally check out... it's called:

THE INTERNET

:raise:

:thmbup1:

Whats the point?? The damage is done... TFU 2 is just a few months away from release... I really didn't like this dude at all... All he did for TFU till now was just spend time on blabbering how amazing the game was... force powers etc etc, and in the end it turned out to be a mediocre game... with a really dumb storyline...

Hahaha good one. There is this thing you should totally check out... it's called:

THE INTERNET

:raise:

~snipped~ maybe you should check this out:

http://starwarsblog.starwars.com/index.php/2009/02/08/the-force-unleashed-wins-wga-award-for-best-writing/

The Force Unleashed Wins WGA Award for Best Writing!

When LucasArts set out on the trailblazing journey of creating The Force Unleashed, they had multiple objectives in mind. One of the key ones was to tell a compelling story worthy of the Star Wars saga in the hitherto unexplored territory between Episode III and Episode IV. This story — the epic saga of Darth Vader’s Secret Apprentice, was recognized for excellence yesterday.

Congratulations to Haden Blackman, Shawn Pitman, John Stafford and Cameron Suey who were honored with the WGA Award for outstanding achievement in Writing for Videogames. The Writers Guild of America, West (WGAW) and the Writers Guild of America, East (WGAE) announced the winners of the 2009 Writers Guild Awards yesterday in categories including screen, television, radio, news, promotional, and videogame writing.

~snipped~

He probably realize that having two sabers held backwards is retarded. I'd quit over that too.

*Jae spews coffee all over her monitor, laughing*

Mod note: Zak, Shem, you both are straying into violation of rules on flaming territory. People can like or dislike the story--there is plenty of room in the galaxy for both opinions. Thanks for being patient with each other.

Sorry about that. We tend to go over board with Shem from time to time :raise:

My only response is:

How can you expect to find anything critical on a website, where the main goal is to PROMOTE EVERYTHING STAR WARS CONNECTED?! Look up forums and users.

And that's it.

Back on topic.

I don't think the man will have any problems with finding a job and I really doubt that TFU III (if planed) would be canceled because of that. In a big company there are always at least 3/4 people waiting for someone to quit. I don't think it's as important as we would like to think.

I don't want to start a war here but I can't help but think that he could have been forced to quit because of the story controversy. Don't say there isn't any, there many fans, on many boards demanding the game to be declared non canon. Just a thought. Nothing negative in mind.

I would be more concerned about the sales... And by that I mean the game will most probably sell less copies than the first one. And I think that because it's being released for less platforms that TFU1. No PSP and no PS2 this time around (DS?), and it did sell well on those platforms.

And if it sells less than the original it will be considered less successful. I could be totally wrong about this but still it's a thing to think about.

Also I think it is promoted a lot less than the first one. Remember all the developer videos, tech videos, rumors and video interviews? None of that now.

Theres not really that much of a reason to promote it as much this time round. They probly went over board with the first one because it a new game , and new thing and something no one else had really done before.

With TFUII well the name will pretty much sell itslef .... :D

Meh, not like it will really affect the game. However, I do hope the new guy actually gives a crap about Star Wars and what the fans want. But of course, sometimes what the fans want can be varied, and somewhat impossible sometimes...

Folks...keep in mind that the story in the Force Unleashed series was APPROVED by Lucasarts and from what I understand George Lucas himself. So...if you want to trash anyone for "canon" Mr. Blackman is really not your true target. Nothing happens with the SW franchise outside of fan created stories and such without the Lucasarts stamp of approval.

That said, I personally enjoyed playing TFU including the story and am looking forward to the sequel and beyond if there is a beyond. As for why Mr. Blackman left..perhaps he got a better job offer, perhaps he wanted a change of scenery, perhaps there was some kind of behind the scenes conflict...we'll likely never know unless he discloses his reasoning at a later date. Whatever the case, I wish him luck in any future endeavors.

Archived