Home

Monkey Island 2 questions for Ron

Scurvyliver

I just finished the new mi2 version, and really enjoyed it. The new graphics were nice,the music amazing, the new Guybrush look grew on me and overall it was very satisfying.

The best easter egg: when inhaling the helium balloon - Guybrush will sing "theres a monkey in my pocket" from curse ;-)

I must say, I love the ending, always have. I would love to hear Ron Gilbert's thoughts on the whole ending and where he (if he ever actually had) intended to go with this story.

The mythology of dreams and imagination run heavily through the game and I think that is one aspect that has made MI stand out.

One aspect of note is how Guybrush writes down the lyrics to the Bone Song in his dream - yet then physically carries the note with him after the dream.

Like if you find $50 in your dream, then wake up and realise you aren't actually carrying it any more - this doesn't apply to Guybrush. Was it a dream?

Maybe that dream was actually a hallucination? Or a vision? But that's just to take your profound question and give a simple and limited answer.

I think the running thread of dreams is closely related to the idea of childhood. Guybrush is very childlike throughout the game (from the start, "I want to be a pirate/fireman" to his overall perspective of the world) and it's only fitting that he turns into a child at the end. Apart from the graphical change there isn't much difference to his character.

I'm not sure the makers planned all this out, but I do think the Monkey Island games, particually the first two, are part of a fairytale/romance tradition inwhich adults are like children in their discovery and exploration of a wider world.

There are practical storytelling reasons for this: you start with a character who is ignorant and innocent and it makes it easier to tell the player information, because the main character naturally asks all the questions the player wants to know. But this also means that the explorer of the world is like a child, and the world itself is dreamlike because it is so shaped and limited by the experience of the explorer.

haha hey cheers guys!

yeah I've been hanging around for the last few years, passively using Mojo. I guess the monkey island revival has brought me back.

I did notice after I had posted this quite sad statistic:

yes joined in 2001 and posted 3 times :p

Not particularly working on any new games at the moment, every couple of years I tinker with a TNB sequel but then find myself consumed with something else. Perhaps in the future. I'm proud to say I was part of the pioneer movement of episodic games ;-) haha

By the way Gabez, good answer to my initial post.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived