Home

Question about game - SPOILER ALERT!

LuvMI2

Now that my son and I both have finished the game. Me on my iPad and he on his iPod we have a little argument going.

On Monkey Island 2, SE, the ending. When the boys walk out of the building was the whole game just a kind of boys role playing, imagination type of thing (that is my stance), or was it a curse LeChuck put on Guybrush to make him a kid again (my son’s stance). PLEASE answer as this is getting contentious.

Paul

Heh, there really is no right or wrong answer to this (well, there is, but there's only one guy in the world who knows and he won't tell us).

Since there are sequels and the one game following this one pretty much says it's just a curse LeChuck put on Guybrush, you could argue that way. But, every game following this game (Monkey Island 2) was made without the original creator, Ron Gilbert, who had the story for the third game planned out but left LucasArts before it was made. As such, it depends on whether you accept the third (and the other) games as canon or not.

The later games certainly stepped away from the whole "It was all a dream" aspect, but then it's argued that they weren't following the story that the first two games set up and instead went ahead with their own story. It's up to you really.

• 8 months later...

Personally, I DON'T accept CMI and EMI (MI3 and MI4) as canon, not just because of a different creator, but because they also seemed completely different and a PLANNED story-line was halted and something else went on.

That said, I personally believe it was all within Guybrush's head. I actually like that more, because it would not only make sense that everything in the world contained both historic as well as contemporary elements, but I love the idea of a kid's imagination coming so much to life that it's viewed in a realistic and interactive manner.

Perhaps we would have discovered even more if the third installment was created by Ron Gilbert, but now that's not an option I suppose.

And finally, I believe the Secret of Monkey Island... the secret itself, may literally be some cerebral portal to the world of Monkey Island, and perhaps Guybrush and LeChuck had discovered this portal. Maybe this is a little stretch, but it works for me.

So in that, and in all, my vote goes with the father... it was NOT a curse LeChuck put on Guybrush. It was either all an imagined adventure, or some adventure Guybrush actually went on through some portal or gateway to another existence. Dunno.

Hopefully Ron will tell us some day!

• 3 years later...

Hey. It's up to you. Until Monkey Island 3 came along, either interpretation was equally valid. Probably. If you ignore the 20th century anachronisms littered throughout the games.

What I'm saying is that you're probably right.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Mortal fool, release me from this wretched tomb! I must be set free or I shall haunt you forever! I will hide the keys under the cushions of your upholstered furniture, and nevermore will you be able to find socks that match!! :rofl:

(No idea if I got that right lol)

Archived