Home

Brett Favre

Darth_Calo

Do you buy Brett Favre's latest retirement?  

5 members have voted

1. 1. Do you buy Brett Favre's latest retirement?

• Yes
    • No

Timeline of Brett Favre's retirement:

March 4 -- Retires after 17-year career, 16 with the Packers.

March 6 -- At news conference at Lambeau Field: "I know I can play but I don't think I want to. It's been a great career for me, but it's over. As they say, all good things must come to an end. I look forward to whatever the future may hold for me."

April 25 -- Placed on reserve-retired list; Packers plan to retire his No. 4 jersey in regular-season game against Vikings.

June 20 -- Tells Packers coach Mike McCarthy he wants to come back: "When he picked up the phone again after he dropped it, he said, 'Oh, God, Brett. You're putting us in a tight spot. He said, 'Brett, playing here is not an option.' Those were his exact, exact words."

July 11 -- Requests release so he can return to NFL with another team: "The finality of his decision to retire was accepted by the organization. At that point, the Green Bay Packers made the commitment to move forward with our football team," reads team-issued statement.

July 17 -- Vikings have no comment on allegations by Packers that they made inappropriate contact before or during his effort to unretire.

Aug. 3 -- NFL says he will be reinstated and added to Packers' active roster.

Aug. 4 -- Returns to Packers after failing to come to financial agreement that would keep him retired. "Once again, there has been indecision throughout Brett's path back here to Green Bay. It's important for us to sit down and communicate," McCarthy says.

Aug. 6 -- Traded to New York Jets.

Aug. 7 -- At news conference in Cleveland, where Jets are in town for a preseason game: "I'm a little out of shape, compared to the other guys. The last 24 hours have been crazy. This offseason has been bizarre. But I'm excited by this opportunity."

Aug. 9 -- "I know I still can play. I don't think too many people question that. I think a lot of people question what happened this offseason."

Feb. 11 -- Retires after one season with Jets, claiming injured right shoulder is too sore after team misses playoffs. "I have family and friends who are like, 'All right, Brett. Is this the real deal?' To me, it is. It is. Believe me. It's been a wonderful career, I couldn't ask for anything more. It was worth a shot for me to go to New York. I wish I could've played better down the stretch. I didn't. It's time to leave."

April 28 -- Released from reserve-retired list by Jets, making him a free agent: "At this time, I am retired and have no intention of returning to football."

May 1 -- Vikings express interest.

July 28 -- Calls Vikings coach Brad Childress and says he's staying retired: "It was the hardest decision I've ever made. I didn't feel like physically I could play at a level that was acceptable. I would like to thank everyone, including the Packers, Jets and Vikings -- but, most importantly, the fans."

Aug. 18 -- Signs with Vikings: "You need to cross over that line. You need to take that chance. At 39 years old, your arm may not feel like it did at 21, but the pieces are in place here where you don't have to do as much ... "If they were willing to take that chance, I was, too."

Aug. 21 -- Debuts for Vikings in preseason game, going 1 for 4 for 4 yards in a 17-13 victory over Kansas City.

Sept. 13 -- In his first regular-season game as a Viking, makes his 270th consecutive start and throws a TD pass in a 34-20 win at Cleveland.

Oct. 5 -- Few games have been hyped like his first appearance against the Packers. Game in Minneapolis draws largest cable TV audience ever as he throws for three TDs and 271 yards in a 30-23 victory: "I don't know how to explain it. I felt right, but I guess I never thought I'd be in that situation."

Nov. 1 -- Favre's first game as a visitor at Lambeau is a rousing success -- four TDs in a 38-26 victory. A camera follows him the entire game that fans could watch on a Webcast. "Hey Favre Halloween is over! Take off that silly purple costume," reads one sign.

Jan. 24 -- Battered after leading Vikings to a 12-4 record and a playoff win, he throws a last-minute interception at New Orleans and the Saints go on to win NFC title game in OT: "Just wondering if I can hold up, especially after a day like today. Physically and mentally. That was pretty draining."

May 21 -- Confirms arthroscopic surgery on left ankle, a necessary step if he were to play again.

Aug. 3 -- Reportedly tells Vikings he's not returning.

Brett Favre's Career Achievements

Records and milestones

As of the end of the 2009 NFL season, Favre owned or shared most of the well-known NFL career records, including:

* Consecutive starts as a quarterback: 285 (309 including playoffs)[6][102]

* Consecutive starts as a position player: 285 (309 including playoffs)[103]

* Career regular-season victories by a starting quarterback: 181 (Regular-season record: 181–104)[6]

* Wins by a starting quarterback in one stadium: 90, Lambeau Field (including once as a Minnesota Viking)

* Consecutive wins, regular season and playoffs, by a starting quarterback in one stadium: 29, Lambeau Field, 1995–1998

* Consecutive wins, regular season, by a starting quarterback in one stadium: 25, Lambeau Field, 1995–1998

* Wins by a starting quarterback against a single opponent: 27, Detroit Lions (18–0 in home games)

* Completions, Attempts, Passing Yards, Touchdown Passes against a single opponent: Detroit Lions: 790 completions, 11,247 attempts, 9,219 passing yards, 60 touchdown passes

* Career passing touchdowns: 497[104][105]

* Career passing yards: 69,329[104]

* Career pass completions: 6,083[6][106]

* Career pass attempts: 9,811[5][6][107]

* Career interceptions thrown: 317[104][108]

* Career games with at least 1 touchdown pass: 241

* Career games with at least 2 touchdown passes: 157

* Career games with at least 3 touchdown passes: 71[51]

* Career games with at least 4 touchdown passes: 23[109]

* Career games with at least 200 passing yards: 202

* (2nd) Career games with at least 300 passing yards: 61 (Dan Marino is 1st with 63)

* One of 11 quarterbacks to throw a 99 yard TD pass (longest possible pass)

* Touchdown passes of 80+ yards: 9

* Touchdown passes of 70+ yards: 15

* Touchdown passes of 20+ yards: 165

* 1 yard touchdown passes: 37

* 1 yard touchdown passes, passer/receiver combination: 8, Brett Favre/Bubba Franks

* Career games with at least 30 completions: 24 (Peyton Manning is 2nd with 18)

* Career games with at least 20 completions: 185 (Peyton Manning is 2nd with 138)

* Completions in a game played on a Friday: 30; 12/24/2004

* Seasons with at least 20 touchdown passes: 15

* Seasons with at least 30 touchdown passes: 9

* Consecutive seasons with at least 30 touchdown passes: 5

* Seasons with at least 35 touchdown passes: 3

* Consecutive seasons with at least 35 touchdown passes: 3

* Seasons with at least 3,000 passing yards: 18

* Consecutive seasons with at least 3,000 passing yards: 18

* Seasons with at least 300 completions: 18

* Consecutive seasons with at least 300 completions: 18

* Brett Favre & Sterling Sharpe tied Dan Marino & Mark Clayton's record for most passer/receiver touchdown combinations in a season in 1994: 18-broken by Tom Brady and Randy Moss(23) in 2007.

* Most consecutive AP NFL MVP awards: 3 (1995–1997)[110]

* Career playoff pass completions: 481[111]

* Career playoff pass attempts: 791[111]

* Career playoff passing yards: 5,855[111]

* (2nd) Career playoff passing touchdowns: 44[111] (Montana, 45)[112]

* Career playoff interceptions thrown: 30

* Career playoff losses as starting QB: 11

* (5th) Career playoff wins as starting QB: 13 (Joe Montana, 16; Tom Brady, 14; Terry Bradshaw, 14; John Elway, 14)

* Games played by a starting quarterback against one opponent in a calendar year: 5 games against the Detroit Lions in 1994; 1/2/94(game 16 of the 1993 season), 1/8/94(playoff game), 11/6/94, 12/4/94, 12/31/94(playoff game)

* Longest gap between receptions: 17 years & 4 weeks (275 games)

Favre is the only quarterback to have led a team to victory over all thirty-two teams in the league since the NFL first expanded to 32 franchises in 2002.[50][113]

Favre is one of four quarterbacks to lead the league in touchdown passes four times. The others are Johnny Unitas, Len Dawson and Steve Young.[114] In addition, Favre owns a number of team records, having printed his name into almost every passing category in the annals of Green Bay Packers history. Most recently, he set the team record for consecutive completions with 20 on November 22, 2007, against the Detroit Lions.[115]

Favre is also the first known player to be a grandfather while active in the NFL.

Summary: 19 NFL Seasons (Atlanta Falcons (1991), Green Bay Packers (1992-2007), New York Jets (2008), Minnesota Vikings (2009)

Three NFL MVP awards (1995-1997)

One Super Bowl Ring (XXXI, vs NE Patriots)

Numerous records, some of which he would probably rather not have (Most all time interceptions), along with some he loves having (Most career Touchdown Passes all time (497)

So my question to you, the Lucasforums community:

what do you think of him?

have you gotten tired of his melodramatic offseasons for the last three (2007-present)?

should he, at 40 years old, just stop playing?

Archived