Home

Playable Species Revealed for Jedi and Sith Classes, New Timeline

News

New Playable Species Quote from SeanDahlberg (Source) So far we?ve only dropped hints about the range of playable species in Star Wars?: The Old Republic?. You may have heard about the Chiss Imperial Agent or the Twi?lek Smuggler, but we can tell you now that all classes will include optional non-human species. Learn More! The [...]

Read the full story at starwarsmmo.net...

Sith Pure-bloods? Not too keen on that. there a bit too cool to be put in the hands of LeEtPwnZer111 but Bioware are the boss I guess. Miralukas, cool :)

Time-line was Cool again, although they weren't pictures of Neo-Crusaders, whether Lance Say's so or not lol.

Among the most exciting character types you’ll be able to choose from is the Sith Pureblood. For the first time ever in a video game, Players can choose to be a member of the original Sith Race, the red-skinned descendants of such notorious Sith Lords as Naga Sadow and Marka Ragnos.
Well, very cool, but if you're going to be able to be a Sith Pureblood, you can't be a descendant of Naga Sadow or Marka Ragnos, since they were both halfbloods. The Miralukas are interesting, since they were a species near extinction during KotOR II. I hope that has some impact on how Miralukas are treated in the galaxy. But I see them more as Consulars than Knights, to be honest. Also, I think it's pretty stupid that Zabraks can only be Sith Inquisitors. As if Darth Maul was the only Zabrak in existence. A Zabrak Jedi would've been interesting, as would a Zabrak Smuggler or Bounty Hunter.

Oh, and BioWare, we're still waiting for the Gungans and the Ewoks. Gungans would be perfect for the silent and deadly Imperial Agent, while the Ewoks would look good in a Trooper suit.

I know a lot of the decisions/mistakes made by the Jedi Council during the Mandalorian Wars, were because of Paranoia regarding Exar Kun's fall 20 years earlier...
That, and then there's the whole discussion whether the Mandalorians were incited to attack the Republic by another party or not, which could be linked to the alliance between Exar Kun/Ulic Qel-Droma and the Mandalorians. Let's not forget Exar Kun's one of the last persons to be involved in the plans of the Sith of old, apprenticing himself to Nadd, who was apprentice to a true Sith, Naga Sadow. I'm just throwing things out there, but maybe they mean something.

I like the idea of the Sith species being included. It's about time, too! These are supposed to be the "true Sith" who fled from known space after the Great Hyperspace War, so you'd think there'd be some purebloods among them. I thought for sure the Emperor would have been of that race, but alas, he turned out to be human, and a fairly unremarkable one at that.

The timeline was great again! It looks like they're picking up the pace with these entries, not making us wait two to three months between them anymore. Or at least it doesn't feel like the time gap is that wide anymore. That's good because now it won't be 2013 before we get to see the entry for the formation of the Jedi Order.

Well, very cool, but if you're going to be able to be a Sith Pureblood, you can't be a descendant of Naga Sadow, since he was a halfblood. The Miralukas are interesting, since they were a species near extinction during KotOR II. I hope that has some impact on how Miralukas are treated in the galaxy. But I see them more as Consulars than Knights, to be honest. Also, I think it's pretty stupid that Zabraks can only be Sith Inquisitors. As if Darth Maul was the only Zabrak in existence. A Zabrak Jedi would've been interesting, as would a Zabrak Smuggler or Bounty Hunter.

I was ticked about the Zab thing at first too, but then I read that not all of the races will have restrictions..just some (the ones that make sense).

I thought for sure the Emperor would have been of that race, but alas, he turned out to be human, and a fairly unremarkable one at that.
Just read that part of the comic that depicts the Emperor. And I wouldn't be too quick to rule out the Emperor being a true Sith. I mean, who knows how he survived those more than thousand years? Maybe he jumps from host to host when the former host's body deteriorates. If the Emperor would turn out to be human after all, I wouldn't only be very disappointed, but confused as well. I was under the impression no human (beside Gav Daragon) was fighting for the Sith Empire during the Great Hyperspace War, the war which the Emperor escaped from, exactly because no human knew of its existence.

No, they did have a few pureblooded humans among their ranks. You can read about a few of them in the Lost Tribe of the Sith online novellas. I'm guessing there were three types of descendants during the Great Hyperspace War: Humans descended from the Dark Jedi who did not interbreed, Sith who did not interbreed, and human-Sith hybrids that did interbreed. It seems that the first group is the rarest while the last is the most numerous.

Hmm, didn't know that. But was any of them a Sith Lord during the Great Hyperspace War? Anyway, whatever the case, I'm still hoping for a true Sith emperor. :)

Something else that struck me in the timeline: it mentions that Revan activated the MSG on Malachor V, but we know that, although it was a plan devised by Revan, the order to activate the MSG came from the Exile and was carried out by Bao-Dur. Of course, from an in-universe perspective perhaps this makes sense, as people may not have known the decision ultimately rested with a Jedi general and not Revan. Also, I don't know why Carth Onasi has even been mentioned in this record. Granted, he was a great soldier, but the Exile's impact in the war, even before the MSG, was greater than that of Carth. Besides, we're talking about hidden agendas and unknown enemies watching from the shadows here, nothing Carth has anything to do with.

The timeline was good.

I am still waiting for some non-human looking playable races (ie Mon Cals, Ithorian, etc.).

As stated earlier:

Oh, and BioWare, we're still waiting for the Gungans and the Ewoks. Gungans would be perfect for the silent and deadly Imperial Agent, while the Ewoks would look good in a Trooper suit.

I need my Ewok with a heavy-repeating-blaster-rifle in trooper armor :xp:

I thought that the Sith species are supposed to look more like this:

Show spoiler
(hidden content - requires Javascript to show)
Massassi-JATM.jpg

And less like this:

Show spoiler
(hidden content - requires Javascript to show)
SS_20100806_SithPureblood01_full.jpg

You know, not as... smooth. :indif:

Not to mention, the generic Dark Side Black™-colored jumpsuit completely snuffs out the intrigue of the exoticness of the Sith. Now it's a cookie-cutter design, at best.

Well, the picture you show comes, if I remember well, from the Tales of the Jedi comics, which had a very different art style than every other Star Wars comic out there. Just look at those ships, who look to me more in line with the Yuuzhan Vong ships than the ships from the KotOR era. Also, there's the whole customization process in which you can change how your Pureblood should look.

I'm not fond of the jumpsuits either, though.

I personally don't the idea of class specific races...it seems to me that members of all races, with the exception perhaps of the Sith Pureblood, would choose whatever side they wished in the conflict portrayed in the game. It just seems like a cop out by Bioware to not make all the species available to each class.

I kinda like it in the way that they are structuring the way we use the Universe... You see one of the main problems with SWG, was that there were 1,000,000 Jedi of all races during the Original Trilogy era lol. At least this way there wont be a Sith Pureblood Jedi dancing for tips in a seedy bar wearing a pink tutu.

Its actually refreshing, because contrary to some people's beliefs, giving the player complete free reign of the Star Wars Franchise is a very very bad idea.

Bugs me.

Seems like we're sitting in Star Trek rather than Star Wars. When I was growing up Star Trek shows were always low budget affairs where for some reason every alien in the room looked like a human plus pointy ears, or a green human, or a brown human with wrinkles.

What we have so far:

Human plus green skin (Mirialans), humans plus horns (Zabrak), humans plus red skin (Sith pure blood), humans plus blindness (Miraluka), humans plus blue skin (Chiss), humans plus head tails (Twi'lek) and humans.

Come on! In Star Wars you see plenty of the humanoids, but you're also seeing aliens that, although they walk on two legs and have two arms are very different.

Look at Mon Cals, look at Ithorians, Wookies, Ewoks, Gungans, Rodians, Sullistans, Gands, Trandoshans, etc.

You can be humanoid and not look human.

It seems almost every species revealed looks human.

It's just a little too much of a cop out for me.

One of the joys of Star Wars is the mashup of so many varieties of aliens. There is none of that here and it doesn't thrill me.

I believe one of the screen shots or demos or something showed a Mon Calamari trooper...not sure exactly where I saw it though. I have no desire to see an Ewok anywhere near Star Wars other than ROTJ and even then its almost too much :) I hope they include the Wookies and Rodians as well, I agree it would be nice to have a bit more variety.

I believe one of the screen shots or demos or something showed a Mon Calamari trooper...not sure exactly where I saw it though. I have no desire to see an Ewok anywhere near Star Wars other than ROTJ and even then its almost too much :) I hope they include the Wookies and Rodians as well, I agree it would be nice to have a bit more variety.

Indeed. Mon Cals were in a lot of concept art early on and in a couple of early screens as well as a few other alien races.

However with seven playable races officially announced and all of them human analogues, it's not looking pretty.

Archived