Home

Overrated Garbage

True_Avery

People dislike things that are popular, controversy sells.
Which leads to my overrated garbage:

Halo Bashing - There's a critic of the franchise everywhere. And what makes me so bad about it is that most people are just echoing other's thoughts about it. Thinking it's bad has become some kind of leet thing.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Which leads to my overrated garbage:

Halo Bashing - There's a critic of the franchise everywhere. And what makes me so bad about it is that most people are just echoing other's thoughts about it. Thinking it's bad has become some kind of leet thing.

I must admit I've never played it! I do have a 360 now, so may check it out one day - see what all the hoopla is about - and then get FPS-nausea headspins 5 mins later :D

I also really liked mimartins comments on the infective fad that seems to be BioWare bashing. Kudos!

Until said bashers have made an epic and original RPG themselves, they should dial down the hatred to a simple expression of whether they like the game or not, not write a perpetual manifesto on The Inherent Cliches and Patterns of Video Game RPGs. BioWare has provided many with literally hundreds of hours of relatively immersive story and fun gameplay - which is sort of what you'd want from a game - and not necessarily anything more grandiose, far reaching or spiritual

mtfbwya

I think the real reason people don't like Halo so much is that the series has claimed that it has done pretty much everything first when the truth is that they've just grabbed elements from other FPS titles along the way and have claimed it to be their own original "first time ever" experience... pretty much same goes for the story as well actually lol.

What's with all this use of the term "basher"? What, either we should praise developers into heaven or just shut up? I'm sure there are people out there who just copy stuff other people said to bore developers into the ground, but as far as I'm concerned, the criticism I have been reading is all justified.

Look, some of these games, including Mass Effect 2 and Halo, are great for what they are, but for what they pretend to be (or what the reviewers sometimes make it out to be) they fall short.

If they are the "best military/semi military personnel in the galaxy" what use would an assassin be? Thane isn't supposed to see active combat, he's supposed to use stealth and kill a single target for money. Yet what Bioware projects this as is using him as a combat ready soldier archetype that uses guns in a firefight and biotics.

If anything Kasumi's use of tactical cloak was much more like an "Assassination" technique, and she was a thief.

You definetely have a point there, but at least thane can use sniper rifles :xp: He does beat 3 people to death the first time you see him though, so he would seem like an effective fighter as well :p:

But actually ME doesnt have active combat, at least not big battles and stuff like that. Why couldnt an assassin fare in small scale tactical combat?

Well, you only have to look at the swathes of Xbox 360 gamers who consider the BEST GAME EVAR.

See: Yin-Yang

Overrated Garbage: Bashing BioWare constantly… It has almost become a contact sport it is done so often for the most mundane reasons. Oh the characters are all the same, oh the stories are all similar, oh it isn’t really a RPG… If you don’t like it don’t play it. From all the negative feedback to their games you would think that BioWare was the most hated game developer out there on the verge of going out of business. Yet, their games seem to sale rather well. :)

I use to think their game sold well because they made a decent game. Now I’m convinced they sale well because the BioWare haters are all buying them so that they have a reason to complain and whine. ;)

Oh Mimi, you irresistible troll you. You almost had me writing a real reply, too!

Oh Mimi, you irresistible troll you. You almost had me writing a real reply, too!

So instead you go straight to ad hominem. How droll, how very droll. :xp:

What's with all this use of the term "basher"? What, either we should praise developers into heaven or just shut up?[/Quote] Not what I wrote at all. I’m all for valid criticism, but whining in ever gaming thread on the forum gets a little old. When I am reading a thread about Fallout: New Vegas, someone’s testimony about the evils of BioWare is not what I’m interested in reading.

Until said bashers have made an epic and original RPG themselves...

I don't accept that you're seriously suggesting this. Really?

Last time I checked, the idea that everyone was entitled to an opinion was not in question.

...they should dial down the hatred to a simple expression of whether they like the game or not, not write a perpetual manifesto on The Inherent Cliches and Patterns of Video Game RPGs.

And speaking of opinions...

I don't think it's "hatred" to point out that a developer which is lauded for innovative/original storytelling actually does neither. That's called "calling someone out on their bull****". No doubt some people are nicer about it than others, but still.

Bioware has come right out and said, "yep, we use the same formula because a) it works and b) everyone inherently loves the Campbellian monomyth". We get it. They get it. Perhaps the ones that don't get it are the fanboys?

Again, not that this makes their games "garbage" but it does smack of kool-aid drinking everytime we're presented with another 10/10 review.

BioWare has provided many with literally hundreds of hours of relatively immersive story and fun gameplay
Myself included.

BG, KotOR, ME, and ME2 are all titles that I own and have played...repeatedly. Does not mean they deserve all of the praise that they get. To say something is "overrated" *waves at topic* doesn't mean that it has zero value.

- which is sort of what you'd want from a game
Yep. Sometimes.

Just like sometimes I like to turn off the brain and treat myself to an Iron Man movie.

But, if the Academy started giving Michael Bay Oscars every time that he released a movie and Rotten Tomato scores were constantly at 100, you'd better believe that I'd be pointing out that something was wrong.

- and not necessarily anything more grandiose, far reaching or spiritual

You, sir, are obviously entitled to your opinion ;)

What about Gears of War (yet more overrated garbage, IMO)?

OMGCHAINSAWRIFLE!

Blatant Warhammer 40K RIPOFF!

In 40K about everything is made in to chain-something! Chainsword, Chainaxe, Chainfist... Chainsaw build into robot legs :lol:

Anyway on the Bioware/ Any other Dev bashing:

I always thought people where more dissespointed about the games produced because they're not to differant from others released. What I'm talking about is, that Bioware for example, now has the budget, the skill and knowledge, the support and people to produce something just a bit more special. But still play it uber-save; thus creating... bit more cliché driven things...

I still enjoyed the Mass Effect games, they're nicely done, but in another way, you just know it could've been more.

Sadly Obsidian is just the other way around; they like to try out differant approaches, but fall short on skill or support. Ending up with a bit more buggy games then most other Devs out there.

Just my 2cents

Overrated(but not garbage): Splitting previous posters sentences into fragments to argue points that aren't there

allow me to illustrate(in a jesting fashion of course):

NO!

I call this variation of the old Force Long Post Inception Syle Posting, namely the adding of unnecessary layers or dimensions that do not actually need to exist ;)

the idea that everyone was entitled to an opinion was not in question.

Given the nature of this place is to be a sounding board for the sharing of these, how could it ever be in question?!

I was just hoping people could be more constructive in their criticism than has been offered at times. Those who furnish a table of Bioware's storylines summarised to demonstrate their commonalities are merely stating something which I'm sure most people already know.

There is antecedent and commonality in a lot of things. They obviously must have changed enough to make it acceptable to people, otherwise it simply would not sell.

I like how this thread has panned out though - it started off as a general rant thread, but the 'garbage' part has since fallen to the wayside and people are now discussing the pitfalls of debating subjective topics - which is what this all boils down to - and of course has no endpoint!

mtfbwya

Point taken mimartin!

On reflection, I could have demonstrated my point with a slightly less controversial funneh * !

I must stop posting at 7.32am, some 25 hours after last waking up ;)

mtfbwya

* It was not "funneh" at all, regardless of how long one has been awaken... - D3

It is the Socratic method that annoys you? Well, remember that it is a method, a game, and there are obvious fallacies when you can get your head out of the spinning web. Just look for the analogical leaps that do a twist or a backflip...

Of course, Astro, I am sure you are fully aware of such things :)

Overrated Garbage:

1) Recyclable plastic/glass/paper : Despite the raging class war in the garbage world, recyclables and non need to recognize that they are still all just garbage. Unity!

2) U2 - The Joshua Tree. I am a U2 fan, I cannot stand the album, to me it was a total sell-out, and every song sounds the same.

3) Comcast - Despite their new Excellent Customer Service Guarantee advertised in tv and radio spots, they cannot execute or guarantee anything excellent, let alone average. There advertised speeds are also nonsense, although they are generally per-pricepoint faster than uVerse.

4) Chicken - I am bored with it! Down with the chicken.

Archived