Home

Space Combat May Be On Rails

News

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I feel bad for all those sorry sods who got rid of their X-Wing series games. Upgraded X-Wing Alliance will be better than anything space related in TOR.

I sometimes start up ye old Gamecube with Rogue Squadron 2 at night, when nobody's watching. Flying my N-1 through the game at full speed doing corkscrews, loopings...shooting Tie Interceptors out of the sky. *sigh*

I had hopes TOR would be something like this. But if this rumor is true...*sigh again*

For those that dislike it, post in this thread and vote:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=3825172&posted=1#post3825172

The good news is that in the OP of that thread Dahlberg said:

UPDATE [1]: To clarify, Space Combat is not a Turret Shooter (this is probably obvious after seeing the screenshot but some people were mentioning it in the other thread).

I feel better about this now. o_Q

For those that dislike it, post in this thread and vote:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=3825172&posted=1#post3825172

The more interesting fact in that thread, however, comes from this quote: "They've admitted that you can jump to your death on coruscant, if you really want to...so definitely no invisible walls".

In all honesty, I don't ask much for space combat, after all, that's not what this game is about. The screenshot does seem to suggest something in the lines of Battlefront space combat. I'm not too bothered with the fact it'd seemingly be singleplayer only, apparently, PvP space combat could happen eventually. In the end, I think this is something you need to see in action before really knowing how it'll work.

The good news is that in the OP of that thread Dahlberg said:

I feel better about this now. o_Q

I don't.

For a Tunnel Shooter you have to stay on a certain path, which means I have to stay on the path...which takes the fun out of space IMO.

In all honesty, I don't ask much for space combat, after all, that's not what this game is about. The screenshot does seem to suggest something in the lines of Battlefront space combat. I'm not too bothered with the fact it'd seemingly be singleplayer only, apparently, PvP space combat could happen eventually. In the end, I think this is something you need to see in action before really knowing how it'll work.

No, based on the information you won't be able to control the flight path of your ship.

But you will be restricted to one path...so that stuff wouldn't really work out.

No, based on the information you won't be able to control the flight path of your ship.

But you will be restricted to one path...so that stuff wouldn't really work out.

I have difficulty imagining this concept. What exactly is there left to do during a space combat sequence when you don't control the ship. Shoot and hope it hits? So a turret game after all?

I have difficulty imagining this concept. What exactly is there left to do during a space combat sequence when you don't control the ship. Shoot and hope it hits? So a turret game after all?

Sounds more like SW: Rebel Assault. Now we're really getting retro.

Dunno. Not enough information for now, but I think a single player restricted space combat isn't fleshed out enough. Bioware wants so much polish on everything, but right now this area is obviously lacking some polish. If it stays on a single player track I am more inclined to just remove the feature entirely.

The potential for a battlefront style of space PvP is just too tantalizing. To be left with more of a single player mini-game is a little depressing.

If you're going to do an MMO, do a freaking MMO.

This an unfortunate surprise, indeed; I was expecting an environment like Battlefront, where, well, you actually had a full six degrees-of-freedom. Now we have StarFox in Star Wars, which by itself might've been OK, but when part of an MMO, it's no better than KotOR's turret simulation; a cheap minigame. How do they expect to even implement PvP on a 2D constrained grid with a thirdperson perspective? It just doesn't seem logical.

Why people are lauding this, I don't know; unless everyone suddenly became content with arcade timewasters like Rebel Assault, then we're all doomed. But, hey, I get to fly in an invisible tunnel piloting Slave I... 3000 years before it was even developed. :indif:

I have no idea why anyone thinks this is a good idea. I said before, I think its a cop out, and unfortunately I doubt that any forum posts or complaints will make Bioware change their minds. I think if they'd asked what the fans (i.e. their customer base and potential subscribers) wanted they sure as heck wouldn't have said a "tunnel shooter" for space combat.

Maybe I'm wrong and I'm sure somebody will try to tell me that this is the best thing since sliced bread, but I still call it lazy development and something to try to placate fans.

I believe what happen is this,,,,they discover to do the proper mmo space combat they would not make thier launch date so they decided if we do a single player one and make it as fun as possible it will give space combat for TOR but it will not define true mmo spacebattle which will be done right and placed in as expansion. The pvp one should be sometbing different, this is a sideorder till the expansion. To place a real mmo pvp version im assuming it would push thier release date back close to a year.

Archived