Home

Rupert Murdoch sues Skype.

Astor

This entire story seems almost too ridiculous to be true, but i'm assured that it is real.

It emerged on Tuesday that BSkyB has been ensconced in a legal battle with Skype for more than five years.

A spokesman for Sky, which is 39.1pc-owned by Rupert Murdoch's News Corporation, said the company was trying to prevent Skype from using its trademark in relation to the sale of TV or internet service, because customer might assume that 'Skype' is part of Sky.

:migraine:

"The key contention in the dispute is that the brands 'Sky' and 'Skype' will be considered confusingly similar by members of the public."

I don't understand how the two can be confused, or why this has even gone on for so long.

Besides, 'Skype Posse' has such a nice ring to it, it'd be a shame if Skype were forced to change their name. :p

How does one go from Sky (of which NewsCorp is only a minority shareholder, albeit a large one) sues Skype, all the way to Rupert Murdoch sues Skype? Given the actual facts of the situation, I doubt Murdoch himself had anything to do with the lawsuit. The thread title is inaccurate, though this isn't really your fault, as the Telegraph's catchy, but ultimately vacuous, headline started the sensationalism.

With that said, if Sky wins, there is something very wrong with Europe's legal system. The article says that Sky has sued a bunch of other companies for similar situations... Seriously, if you use a word so common as your brand, certain aspects of copyright law should cease to apply. That would solve a number of problems, like the whole "Edge games" lawsuit idiocy.

Archived