Home

Bioshock Infinite - Irrational Games Next Project

Revan 411

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really like the setting and the art direction. And... that's about it, so far. Granted, it seems to be BioShock in name only (where's the "bio" in airships?), but I presume that's 2K's call, much like what happened with Fallout 3 or XCOM. Still, from what we've been told, the core gameplay seems to be more or less unchanged, with only a different environment. I'm disappointed with Irrational not doing a significantly different game than previous titles, but I'm also anxious to see how it all turns out.

Might want to get a mod to change the thread title to BioShock Infinite so people know what it's about.

Sounds interesting, but I'm surprised Irrational went in this direction. I figured the break away from the 2K moniker and not handling BS2 meant that they were pursuing other fare. Seems like an odd play.

Here's the debut trailer. 1080p version available.

[youtube=hd]JNB74n97atg

Some concept and story discussion from lead artist Shawn Robertson - http://www.gametrailers.com/video/story-bioshock-infinite/702804

Interview with Ken Levine:

[youtube=hd]KDft7dC6Foo

And IGN has some thoughts on the gameplay demo they saw - http://au.pc.ign.com/articles/111/1111864p1.html

So, after watching Levine's interview I have a couple of things to say.

The first thing I noticed when watching the trailer, and that struck me as uncreative for a very blatant reason, was the setting. Again we have a city built in a unlikely place; again something has gone terribly wrong; again you must work your way out of what quickly becomes a nightmare; again an uber-everyday-enemy a la Big Daddy. After thinking about it some more I thought that this is still Bioshock. Sure, not Bioshock 3, but it's still one of the franchise. And what made Bioshock? Was it Rapture? Hell yeah, was the answer I reached. But Rapture was just the scenario for a very gratifying, keenly critic and thought-provoking plot. Whatever Levine intends on doing can, apparently, be done on Columbia.

What still lets me down a bit is the fact that he opted for another historical and remote city to tell his history. Dunno what he has up his sleeve, but there are probably more original ways to tell a masterpiece story again.

But if we are to disconsider the setting, I'd say this might be a fresh restart for this still new series. What new gameplay possibilities there might be in store?

Next up: BioShock Vacuum

A hacker wakes up to find himself on a giant spaceship-city being controlled by a sinister AI who is fighting a bionic alien invasion.

i am shodan and i am here to ask you a question

I will give you two bags with dollar signs on them full of money if you would give me your 100% original idea.

• 4 weeks later...

Here's the full 10 minute gameplay trailer:

[youtube=hd]p5it-pAYmKY&fmt

Seems very heavily (and obviously) scripted, but despite that (and despite likely being a dev), whoever is playing it seems to suck at shooters.

EDIT: Replaced video. This one is apparently posted by Irrational themselves, so I'm reasonably certain it won't get removed.

Impressions (has a lot on scripted events):

- Using birds as a weapon is nice. Hope it's not as useless as throwing bees at splicers.

- Sniping seems as good as promised. I hope it can happen frequently and randomly, and that you can be sniped too.

- As much as probably all that action was scripted, it was pretty intense. More intense than Bioshock has ever been. And since a lot of it was always scripted, I don't mind it-- for now.

- The telekhinesis plasmid is nothing new, but stopping the cannon shell with your hand was over-the-top and certainly nice.

- The time the citizens of Columbia took to start shooting at the player once he enters that bar seems to hint not all of them are immediatly hostile. I hope there's a way to get past some situations concealed "in plain sight".

- I can see some neat combo possibilities with Elizabeth. As long as they're not all scripted as we saw on the trailer, that can be pretty cool, otherwise she'll just become a pain.

- The new Big Daddy certainly looks unsophisticated if compared to the old, Rapture one. But it seems much more agile and deadly, even if it limits to lunging and throwing things at you.

- Here's hoping that there's a fight against that mechanic bird.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Possible, but the game is not nearly as clever as it thinks it is. Key parts of it were fairly predictable (to the point that by the end of the game I wasn't wondering how certain things related to each other, but how they intended to explain the relation). If I had to wager a guess, I would say that most people are justifiably impressed by that caliber of story in a shooter. The story itself doesn't warrant the hype.

Archived