Home

Coming Soon - Fall of 2011

mimartin

Thanks to acdcfanbill for pointing this out on the evil creation known as skype, I now know what I will be buying in the Fall of 2011.

George Lucas Announces Star Wars on Blu-Ray at Celebration V

The Star Wars saga will at long last be released in a high-definition home video format as all six movies come to Blu-Ray in a Box Set in Fall 2011, as announced by George Lucas this morning at Celebration V[/Quote]

I know many will be upset that it is the Special Edition and it will be package with all six movies only, but I don’t really care. It is Star Wars on Blu-Ray. I’ll just close my eyes and try to remember the way it was suppose to be.

Great news :) I was planning on a PS3 and 50" 1080p display mid 2011 - good timing George :D

I wonder what has happened to the 3D re-authoring he was talking about for a while once.

Those who want the O-OT will get them eventually - I dont knoiw why they didint just include them as part of this set.

Wonder if they'll be adding anything new?? I'd love to see a shot of Alderaan with the Death Star in the Sky, and Bail Organa(Jimmy Smits) glancing up at the sky holding into something that links Padme and Leia.

the evil creation known as skype

seconded.

mtfbwya

To be honest, I'm glad it was cut. 'Luuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuke. Luuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuke' seems almost on a par with 'Noooooooooooooooooooooooo!' in terms of good writing...

Here we go again, someone swiping at SW, which from the outset set itself to be an exemplary written work, as far as space operas go :thmbup1:

IMHO, it nicely echoes the scene at the end of ESB - just a audial cue that Vader is reaching out to Luke through the force across long distances.

mtfbwya

To be honest, I'm glad it was cut. 'Luuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuke. Luuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuke' seems almost on a par with 'Noooooooooooooooooooooooo!' in terms of good writing...
Looks like he's messing with Luke just for the fun of it.

Anyway, still don't have the 6 movies in my possession, but SW on Bluray format would a perfect, so I'll probably get it.

Well, now i've seen it, I don't really need to buy a Blu-Ray player, now, do I? ;)

If you don't have a 1080p display, no ;) But if you did, and you tried watching a 720x576 dvd version on a display of 1920x1080, you would definitely would notice the difference - particularly on the 40"+ displays that are common these days. even if you had a dvd player with decent upscaling, it only goes so far.

At the end of the day, it's personal preference ;)

mtfbwya

Here we go again, someone swiping at SW, which from the outset set itself to be an exemplary written work, as far as space operas go :thmbup1:

I don't actually understand what you mean...

And yes it's an obvious echo of ESB but it just sounds ridiculous.

I think the frame rate for PAL regions is a lot more important than the resolution. I love Blu-ray because it allows me to view movies in their original frame rate... As for the Blu-ray release itself... we'll see just how good it is considering the fact that the DVD release had its issues despite people claiming before hand that the digital restoration would "fix everything"... too bad it's never that simple.

I predict a year or two with only the SE released, but then George will 'cave' to fan pressure and release some crap looking awful version of the original trilogy w/o any SE-ness.

Anything to make an extra buck, heh.

"the evil creation known as skype

"seconded.""

*Jae pats Astro* Honest, it's not that bad. In fact, it's a lot of fun. It's kind of like a bicycle--scary to ride at first until you know how, and then tons of fun. it's a blast being able to talk to so many LFers from all over the world instantly, and free at that! It's like the ultimate cool version of pen pals, and instant chat at that. If you get the program and add "Jae Onasi" to your contacts, I'll be happy to IM! I may be in the Skype Posse , but I'm still thrilled to talk to nearly everyone here on LF just the same. :)

seconded.

You'll be kicked out of the posse for that. :p
Sarcasm obliviously does not translate to the internet. :xp:

...I already have the films on DVD.[/Quote]

I have the OT on VHS and Laser Disc.

I have the SE on Laser Disc and DVD.

I have PT on DVD.

I even have Star Wars aka "A New Hope" on record.

George will get my money again on blu-ray.

I think the frame rate for PAL regions is a lot more important than the resolution. I love Blu-ray because it allows me to view movies in their original frame rate...

BluRay outputs at 1080i/p at 50 or 60Hz refresh rate(region/device dependent)

*Episodes 1, 4-6 were shot on 35mm film at 24fps standard

*Episode 2 was shot on the Sony Cine-Alta HDWF900R at 1920x1080p at 24fps (later processed to 800 vertical pixels)

*Episode 3 was shot on the Sony HDCF950 at 1920x1080p at 24fps(later post processed to 817 vertical pixels)

Hence viewing the SW movies "in their original framerate" was technically achieved on VHS on a display that does 24fps ;)

The 1920x1080p(@24fps) hence completes the picture as far as getting close to the quality of the original production prints. On a smaller display, you wont really notice it - but if you try and run something that is DVD quality or less on a large 1080p (or more) display, the picture quality is significantly less crisp.

Most BluRay movies are at 1080p/True24p It is mainly BluRay based games(ps3 obviously) games that can get to 60fps. There are likely some 60fps films out there, but they would be the exception rather than the rule

There's a cool article on at at sw.com, also a great read on EpII tech specs at The Mix

It's like the ultimate cool version of pen pals, and instant chat at that. If you get the program and add "Jae Onasi" to your contacts, I'll be happy to IM! I may be in the Skype Posse , but I'm still thrilled to talk to nearly everyone here on LF just the same. :)

Thank you for the generous offer Jae :) I wouldn't want to get you into trouble though....conversing with a strange Islamic male is the quickest way to get yourself put under surveillance by Homeland Security :D

mtfbwya

@ Astro: *looks around* Thanks for telling me things I already knew... but I don't really get what your point was... or were you just offering other people information so they got what I was talking about?

Indeed, I thought it was a good opportunity to supply that detail because many people will wonder what the difference between the BluRay and DVD is - telling them 24fps is not the answer.

Why does BluRay exist were it not for the capacity to store/output images at 1080p? As an industry standard, if maintaining cinematic 24fps was the goal, there was no need to go beyond DVD.

You are the first person I have met who has expresssed that BluRay's achieiving 24fps is "a lot more important than the resolution" considering 24fps was possible on a muti system CRT many of us would have watched ROTJ on when it first came on TV in the 80s.

PAL or NTSC, our 50Hz/60Hz/120Hz/200Hz modern displays are processing the HDMI signal to show 24fps. From a purists perspective, this is not 'watching it at its original framerate' on such a display - it's only an approximation of a cinematic 24p display, which you can only really get via a projection system.

Hence, to those that arent fussed by deleted scenes and whatever else is on the discs, if you dont have 1080p TV, then you may as well stick to the DVD versions - from an image quality perspective, you may not notice much difference - as opposed to if you tried to play the DVD verison on a large 1080p display.

mtfbwya

Archived